Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th August 2008, 21:53   #1
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Default Land Rover hit by poor sales

Land rover is reducing production and stopping night shifts and only working a four day week (Monday to Thursday) with immediate effect.

No immediate redundancies are threatened in Solihull West Midlands.

Management say it is due to the economic climate and the fact the Land rover and discovery Vehicles just aren't selling,
with the public and Government not currently purchasing the Current range of vehicles.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 00:09   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

this is sad news!
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 09:34   #3
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Very bad news caused by:

a) The current economic climate
b) Labours stupid car taxing policy
c) Labours high fuel tax charges

This government won't be happy until there is no manufacturing left and we are all signing on. I'm totally fed up of the lies coming out of them and the ******** we have to put up with. Tony Blair got out at the right time!

Lets hope a change of government at the next election does something... although I have my doubts. I dread to think what will happen in America!
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 11:47   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

America actually had a 3% growth in last quarter although it was only expected to be around 1%.
The Refund to all Taxpayers of at least $500 also helped a lot to get things moving.
With the way the Pound is falling against the Dollar it will be like a 25% pay-rise (12.5% at moment)
lost a lot of Salary when $ was at $2 to the pound, but now heading nicely to $1.50 to £1 expected ($1.79 to £1 at the moment).
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 16:05   #5
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e668ecp View Post
Very bad news caused by:

a) The current economic climate
b) Labours stupid car taxing policy
c) Labours high fuel tax charges

This government won't be happy until there is no manufacturing left and we are all signing on. I'm totally fed up of the lies coming out of them and the ******** we have to put up with. Tony Blair got out at the right time!

Lets hope a change of government at the next election does something... although I have my doubts. I dread to think what will happen in America!
Hi,
This is not a surprising situation. as we will be very fortunate if in a few years time we have any cars of this class being built in Britain.
The level of Road Tax now levied on Land Rover, Jaguar and other premium market cars, by this Government is absolutely ridiculous and will see the closure of the last of our quality vehicle manufacturing industry in the very near future.
And is all this is being done in the name of Saving The Planet? No that is a red herring, it is being done by an incompetent Government in an effort to raise funds to finance the financial black hole it has created over the last 10 years. They expect the motorist,you and I, to go on funding them until we are bled dry through Road Fund and high fuel TAXATION.
I personally do not think a change of Government would make any difference, as none of the opposition parties have said they would do anything very much different. The silence from them on this subject has now reach a deafening level.
Green Taxation is the biggest con yet devised by Government and has fallen into their lap like manna from heaven. It will just go on and on. All modern cars are fitted with catalitic converters which have reduce co2 emission by substancial amounts but makes little impact on the Government.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 1st September 2008 at 15:29..
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 16:50   #6
GerryT
Avid contributor

MG ZT+190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telferstr View Post
And is all this is being done in the name of Saving The Planet? No that is a red herring, it is being done by an incompetent Government in an effort to raise funds to finance the financial black hole it has created over the last 10 years.
This is i am afraid the truth, it don't matter how they want to dress it up, the crime here is thinking that we believe them.
Old 31st August 2008, 17:49   #7
tourerfogey
Banned

tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 11:31   #8
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Same here, as luxury vehicle and 4x4s sales took a deep plunge when our government implemented a "CO2" tax on new cars. At first, it was supposed to be this way: Cars were categorised from A to G categories depending on their CO2 emissions. The least emitting cars were supposed to receive a bonus of 700 Euros and the most emitting were supposed to pay 2600 Euros on purchase. It did not take long to see that the two most taxed categories cars were selling less and people buying bonused cars. When asked the government said that the taxed cars will pay for bonused cars and that the system will equilibrate itself. Now, and due to the plunge of premium cars sales, the gov had to pay from its own depleted treasury to those buying bonused cars. As a result, a new yearly tax would be applied on the highest category who would have to pay 260 Euros per year in additon to the 2600 Euros on purchase and luxury cars sales are pluging more and more due to the above. In the future, the gov is planning to reduce the scales by 10 grams of CO2 every 2 years and consequently more and more vehicles would be taxed .
Similarly, in the US, their large 4x4s are less and sold for the same reasons (gas guzzler taxes, high fuel prices, poor economic climate...)

For info, had the 75/ZT still been in production, they would been taxed here around 750 Euros for the Diesels as well as 2.0 litres Petrols, at 1600 Euros for V6s and 2600 Euros for the V8s
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 12:29   #9
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by majedm75 View Post
:For info, had the 75/ZT still been in production, they would been taxed here around 750 Euros for the Diesels as well as 2.0 litres Petrols, at 1600 Euros for V6s and 2600 Euros for the V8s
Outrageous behaviour...............................
Old 1st September 2008, 16:16   #10
bad-head-day
Loves to post

Citroen C4 Loeb

This will definately affect me. Toyota have cut production too.
bad-head-day is offline   Reply With Quote