Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st January 2013, 18:20   #61
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Big lenses are a serious investment, when you're shelling out £1000 and up you need to at least be able to get the best out of them.
I had the Bigma 50-500mm OS

I then got rid of it and bought the Canon 100-400mm f5.6 as I preferred the push/pull zoom action and the f5.6 was more usable than the f6.3 of the Bigma. I don't get too wrapped up in the differences of camera bodies as technology is so fast moving, buy one that does all you need it to, but always always buy the best lenses you can afford. Lenses for most people will stay with you as you change camera bodies over the years. Only when you switch to full frame would you need to change your EF-S or DX lenses.

On the subject of macro I have found it hard to use my SLR, and took most of my best macros on a set up which uses a Canon SX1 that i've mentioned before. There was just something about this camera that I just bonded with and it was a perfect tool for stalking insects etc.
When I visit RSPB sites i'll generally spend all day hunting and stalking the creepy crawlies. This is one of my favourite macros of a Hoverfly in flight:

While it's not technically brilliant and has some image noise it's still a hard thing to capture. The beauty of the SX1 is that even at these extremes is that it can shoot 10mp RAW files at 4fps, which is a rarity for bridge cameras.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:08   #62
grandy
Passed Away

rover 75 2ltr auto PETROL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Interesting Paul. How do you manage to get the bees and the butterflies to stay in the one place for that special shot?
hi Phil, sorry have not posted of late some changes i have no longer got canon sx50 Phil it had a fault and had to go back got full refund on it though, so am thinking of not a bridge camera, it's been not a very nice since i last spoke to you have been ill myself but am over it now,will no doubt get in touch with you when i have got my photography head back on ,need to sort out the paintwork on my 75 first, oh just before i sign off your question how do you get the bees and butterflies to stay still in one place?the answer is JAM. GARY.
grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 16:27   #63
Northstar 32v

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Estate

I own the descendant of the Canon SX50, the pensionable S3 IS, I can use a friends SLR when I need better image quality, and the S3 is still reasonably good quality, I enjoy transport photography mainly, and continuous shooting is a must for this type of work, as with a fast moving object you'd need to be David Bailey to hit the shutter at exactly the right time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sit 040.jpg (136.7 KB, 8 views)

Gone: 2000 "W" Rover 45 1.6 Classic Manual, Platinum Silver with Charcoal interior.
Northstar 32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 16:34   #64
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar 32v View Post
I own the descendant of the Canon SX50, the pensionable S3 IS, I can use a friends SLR when I need better image quality, and the S3 is still reasonably good quality, I enjoy transport photography mainly, and continuous shooting is a must for this type of work, as with a fast moving object you'd need to be David Bailey to hit the shutter at exactly the right time!
Don't show Stu ( leopard680 ) that picture , he'll come over all excited
Old 24th January 2013, 19:20   #65
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

The S3 was a great little camera. You can get the later S5 IS on ebay now for less than £40.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 11:09   #66
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar 32v View Post
You will be pleased to know that there are umpteen members on the forum who are transport buffs. Just keep your eyes peeled
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 11:17   #67
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
This is one of my favourite macros of a Hoverfly in flight:

it's still a hard thing to capture. The beauty of the SX1 is that even at these extremes is that it can shoot 10mp RAW files at 4fps, which is a rarity for bridge cameras.
I agree with you there Alan, such an insect in flight is hard to capture. I had a go recently with the SX40 and all is could manage was of a red dragon fly at rest beside a pond. I have not posted it up. Not quite the same action shot as yours.
Old 28th January 2013, 21:31   #68
Northstar 32v

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Estate

Quote:
You will be pleased to know that there are umpteen members on the forum who are transport buffs. Just keep your eyes peeled
Oh I will

Gone: 2000 "W" Rover 45 1.6 Classic Manual, Platinum Silver with Charcoal interior.
Northstar 32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 21:32   #69
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Does Motorsport count as transport
Old 29th January 2013, 05:52   #70
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Does Motorsport count as transport
Of course it does Jeff. We have seen interests and affiliations to Old Buses, Aircraft, Steam Engines - Rail and Tractors, Caravans, Yachts. Not so many of the latter but we do have a few sailors in the club. When the season picks up I hope we are going to see some more of those racy and dramatic photos. I know you have a library of thousands of car pics In contrast to that I have childhood memories of holidays in Eire getting around in a horse and trap with my folks. In those days, not many people owned a car and photography was something completely different with b+w being very popular. Apologies for diverting away.