Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2014, 23:20   #1
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Default Project Skynet (Headlamp conversion)

It's taken on the name as the more I look at it the more I realise my front end is beginning to look like the Terminator

So, let battle commence.

I have the Xenon lights now along with LED bulbs, CCFL Angel Eyes from a BMW Z3 and some very hot off the press Audi type DRL Strips (can bend into knots even and it still lights up lovely).

I've got my new favourite tool in the world, the Facom splitter tool and alongside some Multisolve i'm hoping the light units come apart cleanly.

Going to take time, build these up on bench and once all done and lenses restored i'll chuck them on.

GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 23:42   #2
tareim
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT+ 160 v6

can't wait to see these done, going to look amazing
tareim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 14:52   #3
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

even though it's been shown before I thought I would post how I ended up seperating my lens as it's quite a daunting task on the face of it with the prospect of cracking the plastic lens and then trying to source another unit.

I tried the method some have used by just prising apart, but seriously it was having none of it and I can see why often there are screwdriver marks left as the force required is more than the plastic can withstand.

So, I used Multisolve first. This is a silicone/adhesive remover and it's pretty damn good.

A good soaking with it for about 10 mins, and then another dose.
This effectively softens up the sealant that is visible and the less there is at this stage the less there is gripping later as this stuff would probably stick the heat tiles of the Space Shuttle !

Then releasing the tabs. There are a few around the edges. Often they'll pop back into place so keep checking or you will be putting pressure not just against the adhesive but also the tabs.

Out came my new tool - A Facom seperator tool. Normally used to remove door trim clips bit also absolutely ideal for this job as it spreads out the load with no twisting which can cause plastic damage marks.

The next stage you may have to time perfectly. i.e when the Mrs is out !
Finally, man has use for the oven !

I did a fair amount of research and settled on 100 degrees C and then in the oven for 5 mins on first round.

Then it's time to start trying to prise apart.

This isn't a race so my advice is DO NOT RUSH. I would have it out of the oven for about 5 mins of prising all the way around and then put it back in the oven for 2 mins to reheat the unit.

After about 3 goes it does begin coming apart and I found the best way was to use the Facom pliers to hold apart slightly which allowed me to run a stanley blade through the adhesive.

It gets easier as you cut through as there is reduced grip all around.
Again, don't forget to check the tabs haven't snapped back into position.

and success, apart with no damage and wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

Now to clean the remaining adhesive and then i'll be onto the DRL installations.
Old 16th January 2014, 15:26   #4
tareim

MG ZT+ 160 v6

I really need to do this to my lights as I got moisture in it every so often but too worried about breaking them, after reading this I could offer a suggestion for others to find something under the clips to stop the tabs from reengaging if possible, would make it easier
Old 16th January 2014, 18:43   #5
CimmaronG
Gets stuck in

Roverless at present :-(

I've been considering either the angel eyes or the Audi stip, so will be watching this threat and await your results.
Left the production line 08:07:14hrs on 01/07/2004

'Best to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'
CimmaronG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 10:05   #6
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

proof of concept time now.............

The new Audi strip looks as if it was made to fit, it's the perfect length and thickness so i'm feeling pretty chuffed about that.

The Z3 angel eyes are however, pants and no good for the fitment. The shape and size is all out as well as them being about 300 degrees of light and not a full 360degree circle.
I've had a proper measure up of the projector lens surround and looks perfect to use a 90mm COB ring which are in theory mch brighter than CCFL anyway. This equates to 80mm internal diameter and 5mm ring thickness taking it up the 90.
Ordered already and on the way.

Wondered why the projector xenon felt wobbly and now i've found where the mounts go into the plastic, they've snapped apart. Easy fix with some epoxy.

Now off to clean up the remaining adhesive now that i've got the internal chrome insert out.

Big Thanks to Rich's postings as i've found his thread on how to strip the light units down invaluable.

And for your viewing pleasure.............

Old 17th January 2014, 10:33   #7
deanbmx
Gets stuck in

mg zt-t

Excellent. It's nice to see some oem looking drl fitting instead of god awful leds fitted in a prominent place.
deanbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 14:44   #8
tareim

MG ZT+ 160 v6

Looks good and suits them to the point it could be mistaken for OEM, wasn't a fan of the mk2 lights by these DRLs change my opinion
Old 18th January 2014, 14:51   #9
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Just a reminder http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=166834 And well done Geraint for tackling the job

Last edited by suzublu; 18th January 2014 at 15:01..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 16:25   #10
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

yep it's that set. Ronnie's original post got me looking and I ended up with the same setup.

Can get them direct from Dabhees (the one who has watermarked the pics on ebay) for less money.

They do work as indicators as well but I didn't like the orange. I think it's that the rubber tube is white and therefore you cant see any individual LEDs but the orange shows through so i am not using it to operate as indicators.

Even though i say myself, it looks better than many OEM setups on other makes so very pleased.
Sat here now sanding the lights before i start putting back together