Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th November 2006, 22:07   #1
DJAndyB
Loves to post

1.8T ZT-T+ Commission Number 27101

Default 2004 ZT 1.8T, Hose connector & coolant loss

Since owning my 2004 1.8T ZTT (1 year) I have noticed the smell of coolant after driving the car.

In February my local dealer pressure tested the cooling system but could find no leaks.

Last month I noticed coolant leaking from the join of the plastic connector and hoses just behind the top of the radiator. I replaced one of the spring clips with a jubilee clip and the leak stopped.

At the weekend I had a pool of coolant under the car and it was coming from the the same join. I topped the system up and took the ZTT to my dealer today who has again pressure tested the system and again found no leaks.

I am a tad worried about this - would a pressure test necessarily pick this up and is there anything else I can do such as replace all the clips with jubilee clips?

Is this a commom problem?

Many thanks

Andy

Last edited by Keith; 16th November 2006 at 08:40.. Reason: Edited to include car model and engine type as per serving suggestion at top of forum
DJAndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 22:12   #2
Simon
Banned

-

Hi there and welcome to the forums!

There have been a couple of members posting here about similar problems. It seems that the T-piece of hosing above the radiator doesnt seem to be up to the task and can slowly degrade.

What engine do you have and how old is it?

Coolant leakage can be signs of other problems. If too much pressure is building up in the coolant system then this could point to a HGF. Which is obviously a bad thing.

Check that none of the coolant hoses are rubbing/catching on anything.

Also, is there a substance that can only be described as mayonaise under your radiator cap and do you hear a substantial amount of air being released when you remove this cap?
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 22:17   #3
DJAndyB
Loves to post

1.8T ZT-T+ Commission Number 27101

Hi Simon,

Thanks for reply.

I've a 2004MY 1.8 Turbo, I have kept an eye on the car for all the signs of HGF since I've had it - no sign as yet , had the car seviced today and all is OK in all other areas.

ATB

ANdy
DJAndyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 22:20   #4
Simon
Banned

-

The other option then is there could be too much coolant in the system. Have you checked the level? It wouldn't be the first time a garage has overfilled the system in a car. IIRC there is an overflow which allows excess coolant to "leak" out of the system - this could be what you are smelling.
Old 16th November 2006, 04:55   #5
Alex30013k
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Conn Se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
The other option then is there could be too much coolant in the system. Have you checked the level? It wouldn't be the first time a garage has overfilled the system in a car. IIRC there is an overflow which allows excess coolant to "leak" out of the system - this could be what you are smelling.
Where is this over flow?

Is it the cap?
Alex30013k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2006, 10:48   #6
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex30013k View Post
Where is this over flow?

Is it the cap?
Couldn't tell you mate... I just remember reading a thread back on mg-rover.org where someone mentioned this. I haven't been to look in my car to be honest. Of course, the information could be wrong and if indeed there is too much coolant in the system then the pressure may just be forcing it out of somewhere.

EDIT: Found the thread on mg-rover.org.
Quote:
I've been loosing small amounts of coolant since buying the car.
I don't believe I have a leak.
I believe that the water is being lost from the overflow pipe on the expansion tank when the car is pointed nose down idling on a slope in stationary traffic on my daily commute.

Can anyone confirm this suspicion?

The car is a '99 2.5 KV6 with black expansion tank which has an overflow tube built in.

End quote.

Last edited by Simon; 16th November 2006 at 10:53..