Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th March 2017, 06:44   #11
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Windows open round herethey would pinch the sugar out ya tea in Tipton.
Sorry to hear that - our windows will lock about half a centimetre open - so security is good but a bit of ventilation is achieved.

Hope you can get it sorted.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 06:55   #12
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
We have penetrating damp beside our back door, don't know how to stop it.
If it is at the base of the door it could be rising damp. We had an issue with rising damp that turned out to be caused by a leaking pipe that ran in the concrete floor.

If you have a water meter - see if the wheel is still turning when all the taps are off- this could indicate you have a leak.

If you have a header tank with water constantly filling then it is on that system (usually two header tanks - one for hot water and a smaller one for the central heating) - Do you have pipes sat in concrete?

If you do - then 40 years is about right for them to start to rot thro' due to a chemical reaction between the metal and the concrete.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 09:27   #13
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

We've had damp in this old house since we moved in, I don't think there's a wallpaper paste strong enough to stick wallpaper to damp Lancashire walls

Every house we've had has had damp, the missus got some new cream curtains for the living room last September & I've noticed mold on them already

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 09:34   #14
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

I think ventilation is the key and the problem is that modern double glazed windows effectively block that. My Grandmother lived in an old stone cottage in Somerset and never had any problems with damp until she had new windows fitted after which she ended up having most rooms repainted every year or so to keep the damp and black mould at bay. The old wood windows let enough air in to keep the problem at bay whereas the new upvc windows did not.

Our old house that we now rent out had exactly the same problem, overly sealed windows and no ventilation. Crazy thing is that on the new houses we build we have to seal them to the point that they can pass an air pressure test.....how is that healthy?!!!
Old 28th March 2017, 10:51   #15
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
Crazy thing is that on the new houses we build we have to seal them to the point that they can pass an air pressure test.....how is that healthy?!!!
Blimey, I never knew that, totally crazy.
My missus is a fresh air freak and the windows are rarely fully closed, other than the obvious leak we have the house has no other damp issues.
Old 28th March 2017, 11:11   #16
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Blimey, I never knew that, totally crazy.
My missus is a fresh air freak and the windows are rarely fully closed, other than the obvious leak we have the house has no other damp issues.
Yep, the basically seal a massive fan in the front door of the house, and blow air in to create positive pressure which is then measured for loss. Air test day is always fun with much running round trying to find out where it's escaping!
Old 28th March 2017, 11:35   #17
Arryhall
Loves to post

Rover 75

Yeah, there could be any number of reasons, but there are several solutions!

If it's rising damp, ask the landlord (in this case, the cooooncil) if there is a damp proof course! Sounds odd, but a lot of houses were built without one. My house now was built in 1840 and has no damp course. When I rebuilt it, I got some fBall's liquid damp course and painted it on and oddly, there has never been a rising damp issue. I did have a bad problem with the front wall. Not a cavity wall as such, the gutter wasn't sitting properly, the rain was hitting the wall plate behind the guttering and working its' way down and through the "finger cavity" and coming through the downstairs lounge wall. Placed damp course plastic along the wall plate, folded over and attached the guttering to this and problem has been solved.

Yes, modern building regs make NO sense a lot of the time! Loft insulation, cavity wall insulation, air tight windows, combined they create huge damp issues. I ended up putting an air vent in my mates house in Solihull, the mould that was forming was causing his missus to have bad asthma at night. The ruddy great hole in the wall created an air flow and it solved that room issue. The loft is unuseable and the beams will shortly rot with the condensation there from the enforced insulation.
My house is insulted like mad for thermal properties, but as I built it myself, I made it really open plan so there is always plenty of air flow and damp isn't an issue.

Is your damp and mould in a specific area? You could always get the council to replace the plaster with foil backed plasterboard and skim this. The dam then can't come through the plaster and paint. Won't actually stop the damp issue, but will alleviate the symptoms you suffer.
Arryhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 17:02   #18
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
If it is at the base of the door it could be rising damp. We had an issue with rising damp that turned out to be caused by a leaking pipe that ran in the concrete floor.

If you have a water meter - see if the wheel is still turning when all the taps are off- this could indicate you have a leak.

If you have a header tank with water constantly filling then it is on that system (usually two header tanks - one for hot water and a smaller one for the central heating) - Do you have pipes sat in concrete?

If you do - then 40 years is about right for them to start to rot thro' due to a chemical reaction between the metal and the concrete.
None of the above Clive, it's half way up and the wall, and around the wall side of the door.
Old 28th March 2017, 19:52   #19
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

yeah as said before it was rising damp but council sorted it,well supposed to have.plaster was hacked of 1 metre high all the way round and walls drilled and injected.either way they need to sort this as my 3 year old was in hospital for a couple of days last week with breathing difficulties due to a chest infection.not saying it's 100%the damp what caused it but certainly won't help.also we have slugs everywhere in the night when we have gone to bed.they appear from under the skirting boards under the stairs and had this for 4 years now.
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote