Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th March 2016, 14:32   #11
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Going to play slight devils advocate but please hear me out first. When sliding down the motorway and then a car pulls out in front to overtake ( I always drive in the left lane and use the right only to overtake but don't weave so will sit out if the gap between cars is small) I won't break unless absolutely essential hence will sometimes end up close to the back of the car in front. I allow a space of two seconds to open up but only through not accelerating as to me most tail backs are result of break happy drivers. Am I considerate of the general road users or inconsiderate to the person who misjudged my speed and gap available?
Amsca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 14:33   #12
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Saw a good one earlier today. Pulled up behind a learner (in a pukka driving school car) in a queue at traffic lights on a descending gradient. The learner held the car on the foot brake and kept releasing and applying it creeping nearer the car in front. What kind of instructor was sitting in the passenger seat allowing the learner to do that?

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 14:43   #13
myrover2013
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE in copper leaf red

Carry a ten gallon oil drum in the boot, then turn on the tap, that always works for me,
myrover2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 14:51   #14
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

Alison and I were tailgated last week. We were proceeding normally in a line of traffic. Speed of this line of traffic was 25-30 mph in the 30 mph area and 35-40 mph in the 40 mph area. Minicab behind Alison started to flash his lights; firstly in the 30 mph area and secondly in the 40 mph area. He then started to get close. So I stopped, got out and asked the driver if there was a problem.

I've done something similar in the past to tell a van driver his side door was open!

The driver responded "It's 40 mph here". I said yes I know, so why if there are no problems with my vehicle, were you flashing me in the 30mph part of the road?

He was obviously wrong and his customer started to complain...

I said maybe I should report the driver to the authorities.

I asked if he was displaying bullying behaviour because he thought the car was being driven by someone vulnerable.

At that point he apologised.

And that's a professional driver! If I did that at work; game over!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 15:20   #15
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

I go slower and slower, until they get the message

Try one of these in your window....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.7 KB, 20 views)
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 15:32   #16
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

My daughter was tailgated by a local bus driver along what is well known as a dodgy local road stretch. Having done all the brake touching etc, he still stayed there, until at last, she waved her WARRANT CARD out of the window which seemed to do the trick for some reason.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 16:49   #17
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

I find turning on my read fog lights and flashing them results in the idiot behind me making an immediate retreat.

I was once driving on the M25 years ago and tried faithfully to keep to at least the two second rule. Impossible - as soon as there was a little room between me and the car in front, cars in other lanes took that as a hint I was letting them in. Crazy. . .

Quote:
And that's a professional driver!
Just because someone drives for a living doesn't make them a professional.

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 16:57   #18
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikris View Post
Just because someone drives for a living doesn't make them a professional.
Ali.
The fact that they are paid to do a driving job makes them professional, that fact does not make them a good driver.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 17:02   #19
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

I meant professional in the "standards of education and training" sense. A "Professional driver" is usually someone who has had some driver training and driving qualifications.

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 17:14   #20
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

If you are unhappy with the situation, I was told by a police officer slow down to a comfortable speed and let them overtake or better still pull over.

Rev
Except when on a motorway the pulling over isn't really an option. Tailgated by a lorry in a 50mph limit on the M1 last week. kept slowing to 45 and then speeding up to open up a gap, but he kept deliberately closing it again. Eventually slowed down to 35mph - he still wouldn't overtake. Settled on 40mph with fogs on - no effect! Approached my junction slowed to 25mph without indicating before pulling off a the last moment and putting my foot down (them slip roads can be long and boring . Whilst all this was going on at least half a dozen other lorries passed us both. This was definately not a telematics thing had he been on telematics the speed up/slow down (accompanied by some definite gear changes) on the motorway would have been flagged no doubt: he'd have been better off overtaking me and going being an idiot somewhere else. Even if I had been going further I would have to have left at that junction just to rejoin without him behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyland Worldmaster View Post
Alison and I were tailgated last week. We were proceeding normally in a line of traffic. Speed of this line of traffic was 25-30 mph in the 30 mph area and 35-40 mph in the 40 mph area. Minicab behind Alison started to flash his lights; firstly in the 30 mph area and secondly in the 40 mph area. He then started to get close. So I stopped, got out and asked the driver if there was a problem.

I've done something similar in the past to tell a van driver his side door was open!

The driver responded "It's 40 mph here". I said yes I know, so why if there are no problems with my vehicle, were you flashing me in the 30mph part of the road?

He was obviously wrong and his customer started to complain...

I said maybe I should report the driver to the authorities.

I asked if he was displaying bullying behaviour because he thought the car was being driven by someone vulnerable.

At that point he apologised.

And that's a professional driver! If I did that at work; game over!
Should have pointed out to him that 'it's 40mph here' is a limit not an instruction and that you'll happily proceed at a safe speed below that limit. If he wants to put himself and his passengers at risk then he's welcome to overtake.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote