Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th January 2008, 01:59   #21
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

I was going to say Primera read Simon W's posts on this very subject, but I see he's already posted!!
Simon went through very similar scenario, but I think he's a happy bunny now
Good luck

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 18:36   #22
BRG190 Pete
Avid contributor

None at the moment

Just an update. Phoned the garage (SMC West Drayton) to be told it will be a week to do the estimate and a further 2 weeks to do the repair. I suppose at least that should mean that, by the end of this week, I should know if the parts will be available!

Insurance company dropped off a courtesy car yesterday. Expecting a Ford Ka or similar, but got a brand new Jag X-Type 2.2D with full cream interior, sat nav and so many buttons I'm scared to touch them! That was some consolation, anyway. Pretty quick when you put your foot down, too. Great fun to drive, but a bit worrying to be driving a (wide) £26k car in the dark and wet.

Still think the ZT is prettier, but my daughter did say let's just keep the Jag instead! I told her off for her disloyalty.
BRG190 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 12:51   #23
BRG190 Pete
Avid contributor

None at the moment

Question matching paintwork

Update on my ZT : the garage have (finally) done the estimate but, when I spoke to them on Friday, they weren't sure about parts availability - apparently, they don't check that until the insurance company has agreed to the work.

Anyway, the parts I need are : new front bumper, new offside front wing, radiator grill badge, wheel house cover, right lower control arm and shock absorber.

As I didn't want to wait over the weekend to find out if the parts are available, I phoned Gary at Rimmers (thanks, Mike, for suggesting that) and he was very helpful and said they have stocks of all of them (subject to needing a bit more info about control arm etc). So at least I know that, if the garage have difficulty sourcing anything, I can put them in touch with Gary.

Anyway, I have 2 questions for those of you that know these things.

First, I'm worried about how SMC will match the paint. I assume they'll just spray the bumper and wing in BRG, but will they look different from the paintwork on the rest of the car? Or do they also need to spray other parts eg the bonnet to blend in new and old paintwork?

Second, the guy at SMC said they source parts from a company which bought out loads of existing stock when MG went under. This doesn't sound like a good long term solution. What happens when they run out? Rimmers said they source parts from Xpart who basically continue to make brand new parts. Which is true, or are they both? Does Xpart have the tools, moulds etc so that they can continue to make brand new parts?

Sorry for more questions. I do hope that, sometime soon, I will get my MG back and actually enjoy driving her. As I've only had the car for 2 hours between purchase and crash, it still all seems a little unreal!
Old 27th January 2008, 14:35   #24
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Good to hear the parts are all available

re the paintwork - the body shop will need, as you say, to blend in the paint which will require other areas near to the wing and bumper to be sprayed a little to create the blend. It is a standard procedure. When I had my bonnet resprayed because of one or two stone chips ( ) they also did the top of the wings to ensure the paint was blended in and matched OK.

As for parts, SMC did buy a lot of stock after the demise, as did other suppliers, simply because they were available at good prices - sound business eh. When they run out, and they do, SMC just buy more from X Part or Rimmers. X Part (aka Caterpillar) are the originating source for all MGR parts supplies. tbh I wouldn't worry - the parts will be available, and experience on here shows that for any small ones that do go out of stock or on 'back order', there is always a solution. Because the manufacturer no longer exists there is an increased risk but hey, the upside is you get to drive a superb and special car

Look forward to seeing the pics and hearing how you get on.

Regards

Mike
Old 28th January 2008, 19:00   #25
BRG190 Pete
Avid contributor

None at the moment

Default matching paint

Thanks for the reply, Mike. Spoke to SMC today and they say that the insurance company won't authorise spraying on adjacent panels to those being replaced. They'll only try to 'blend' in the paintwork if the difference between old and new is obvious, and I presume they will say it is not. Not much I can do, I suppose. Just hope it looks OK - if not, I'll be complaining!
Old 28th January 2008, 19:07   #26
Simon
Banned

-

Sorry to hear of your woes. I had a similar problem when someone dinged one of my doors and a new door skin was required.

Hopefully SMC will provide you with a top-notch job but if for any reason you are unhappy with their work you have every right under your insurance to refuse the work and have them redo the job to your satisfaction. That said, I'm sure all will be well and you'll be back behind your ZT's wheel in next-to-no-time
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2008, 18:27   #27
tapped
Gets stuck in

Ex-75 1.8T, 2.5V6 and CDT + ZT 190 & V8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Good to hear the parts are all available

re the paintwork - the body shop will need, as you say, to blend in the paint which will require other areas near to the wing and bumper to be sprayed a little to create the blend. It is a standard procedure. When I had my bonnet resprayed because of one or two stone chips ( ) they also did the top of the wings to ensure the paint was blended in and matched OK.

As for parts, SMC did buy a lot of stock after the demise, as did other suppliers, simply because they were available at good prices - sound business eh. When they run out, and they do, SMC just buy more from X Part or Rimmers. X Part (aka Caterpillar) are the originating source for all MGR parts supplies. tbh I wouldn't worry - the parts will be available, and experience on here shows that for any small ones that do go out of stock or on 'back order', there is always a solution. Because the manufacturer no longer exists there is an increased risk but hey, the upside is you get to drive a superb and special car

Look forward to seeing the pics and hearing how you get on.

Regards

Mike
No plans at Xpart to stop doing what they are doing. CAT are still supporting us. High demand parts are very much still stocked and sourced for restock

Previous:
R75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6
R75 CDT Connoisseur Royal Blue
MGTF160 X Power Grey
MG ZT260 V8 X Power Grey
R75 2.5 Auto Connoisseur SE Starlight Silver
MG ZT 190+ X Power Grey
R75 1.8T Club SE Royal Blue
tapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 13:17   #28
BRG190 Pete
Avid contributor

None at the moment

Question shock absorber?

Chased the garage again yesterday and said I was annoyed at the lack of progress in repairing my car. Basically, 3 weeks since the accident and all that has happened is that the garage have done an estimate of the repairs and, after me chasing the insurance company, they have approved the work to be done.

After expressing my anger yesterday am, the garage called back in the afternoon to say that all parts needed are at their warehouse except for a shock absorber. They will have to try to find that somewhere else, which will presumably mean further delay. Are shock absorbers in short supply, please? I would have thought they would be easier to get than the wing or bumper, but apparently not.

Progress in getting the car repaired is being made, but it's painfully slow!
Old 2nd February 2008, 13:21   #29
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

They probably are available, it may be their "approved" supplier hasn't got any....
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 13:22   #30
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Contact Rimmers on Monday morning and check availability, no reason for the repairers not to buy from there or you buy and supply to repairer.

Best of luck.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote