Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th July 2010, 12:00   #1
Monster3969
Regular poster

MG ZT V6 190

Default Info needed about Wigan, Blackburn/Burnley and Skipton areas.

Hello folks.
This may sound like a strange request, but stay with me on this one.
During September time i am planning to Kayak the Liverpool to Leeds Canal in a 13ft Kayak, in the name of Charity. This is a trip of about 127 miles in total. I have done this once before about 8 years ago on a mountain bike, and i have now decided to do it again on the water this time. I am planning to do this over a period of 4 full days, working on roughly 32 miles per day, which doesn't sound much, but will be very hard going. I am not a professional Kayaker and have never done it before until about 2 months ago when i bought the Kayak and started training.
Here is why i need some info. I am planning to complete the trip on my own and do not have the luxury of a support team. I am planning on sleeping in a tent at night in certain locations along the route, and this is why i need the info. I need to know if there are any Pubs, Scout Huts, Camping sites, back gardens etc etc, that are next to or in very close prox to the canal, where they will let me get my head down overnight in my little tent. A toilet would be a bonus and somewhere to cook, but i will have a stove with me as well. Hopefully on the 2nd night, i will get a helper to meet me and replemish my supplies for the next two days. And am planning to be at the following locations along the trip:
Night one. Wigan area, possibly Lower Standish.
Night two. Somewhere between Blackburn and Burnley but hopefully closer to Burnley
Night three. Skipton, preferably Kildwick.
Any info or advice from people in these areas would be much appreciated. I am currently in contact with 'Guinness World Records', as there appears to be no record of this being done before, so it would infact be a record breaking trip!
Feel free to add to this thread any help or advice, it'd be much appreciated.
Mark
Monster3969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 20:17   #2
baggie9
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar s Type

Couldn't help you on any info,but good luck with your challenge.What charity are you doing it for?
baggie9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 20:26   #3
baconbuttyman
Banned

these may be able to help
http://www.llcs.org.uk/
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 07:14   #4
Monster3969
Regular poster

MG ZT V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggie9 View Post
Couldn't help you on any info,but good luck with your challenge.What charity are you doing it for?
I am undecided on Charities, but was considering 'Help for Heroes' and one of the Cancer Charities with all the money being split 50/50.

On a side note, i have been in contact with Guinness book of Records and it would appear that this has not officially been done in their eyes before, so it may also be a record setting attempt!

The logistics are the only thing causing me a headache now as i need to sort out where i will be staying during the nights away......
Old 6th July 2010, 09:03   #5
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Are you camping? or B&B

Eitherway, I would contact Pubs along the canal explain what you are doing and what charity etc and they may give you some support, even if its a night in their beer garden.

There should be plenty of canal side pubs along the way, heres the waterscape list

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and...-restaurants/3

Run the postcodes in Google Maps see where they lay on the canal.

Best of luck, if you get a http://www.justgiving.com/ website up, I would gladly sponsor you.

Simon
Old 6th July 2010, 10:16   #6
Monster3969
Regular poster

MG ZT V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikelsh View Post
Are you camping? or B&B

Eitherway, I would contact Pubs along the canal explain what you are doing and what charity etc and they may give you some support, even if its a night in their beer garden.

There should be plenty of canal side pubs along the way, heres the waterscape list

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and...-restaurants/3

Run the postcodes in Google Maps see where they lay on the canal.

Best of luck, if you get a http://www.justgiving.com/ website up, I would gladly sponsor you.

Simon
Hi Simon.

That link has been very useful indeed, just the kind of thing i am after, so thanks very much. Also, thanks for the offer of sponsorship. I have not drawn up plans for this, as originally i was doing it for the fun of it, but others had suggested sponsorship, so i am still working on this.

Thanks once again.

Mark