Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th February 2010, 15:18   #1
DavidNW
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club 1.8, 2001, royal blue, owned by im up norf.

Default Park life.

Hello,

Was throwing around the idea of when I retire, to buy a park home to live in and possibly free up enough cash to be able to buy a static caravan down in the south of France; which I would live in for about six months of the year.

The park homes that I have browsed on the Internet seem to offer quiet a lot of room, compared to my small centre of three terraced house.

Does anyone live, or know of someone that lives on a park home site and what is it like? In general, are they fairly economic to run, charges, etc.

I understand that in some cases, should you decide to sell, the site owners can claim up to 10% of the sale price - although I cannot confirm that this is indeed factual.

Thanks,

David.
DavidNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 16:22   #2
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

My brother in law lived in one for many years and had two homes during that time. He bought a 12ft x 30ft to see if he liked the life and then traded up to a new 20ft x 38ft model. He and his wife loved the freedom and countryside life it gave but his wife got poorly with breathing problems and her doctor said the problem was made worse by the heating which used bottled gas. Although their unit was very modern the site owner would not allow them to brick in the bottom of the unit and they had to board it, this in turn allowed cold air to blow under the unit which meant more heating and a vicious circle started. They moved out to a brick bungalow a couple of months after the doctors diagnosis.

They were allowed to put the unit on the open market at a value of about 80k but the site owner had the opportunity to say no to any prospective buyers. He did this twice and in the end they ended up selling it to the owner at about 20% off the real price. He then took a further 5% off the price as he was allowed to do it to cover his losses whatever they were. Usually it would have been 10% as you say.

The home was lovely and much bigger than my bungalow but it wouldn't be for me. However I do know others that have done it and they love it especially on the over 55s sites.

Hope that helps

Ken

ps the site owner later sold the unit for the full asking price. They may have been unlucky with the site owner I don't know but he was not a person you could easily make friends with. Everything he did was within the law I must add.

pps monthly charges were £110 ground rent
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 16:36   #3
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNW View Post
Hello,

Was throwing around the idea of when I retire, to buy a park home to live in and possibly free up enough cash to be able to buy a static caravan down in the south of France; which I would live in for about six months of the year.

The park homes that I have browsed on the Internet seem to offer quiet a lot of room, compared to my small centre of three terraced house.

Does anyone live, or know of someone that lives on a park home site and what is it like? In general, are they fairly economic to run, charges, etc.

I understand that in some cases, should you decide to sell, the site owners can claim up to 10% of the sale price - although I cannot confirm that this is indeed factual.

Thanks,

David.
Yes you are correct if you sell your static caravan or chalet you have to get permission of the site owner and offer it to him first is you have a buyer for it he has to approve it and vet the buyer ( this is based on a 9 month and not a 12 month )site. and he will take a percentage around 17% of the sale price . dont know about buying abroad but if you come across a MR P BULL of Bull holdings this guy is a bully as he just bought the site i have a static and he told a few to get off and moved others and raised the rent to over 2 grand a year ... the law protects thoughwho are on a 12 month site but no law for non 12 month.......oh and this Mr Bull owns a load of sites around the country . threw 50 caravaners off another site as well........Cotwold caravan park Twining Tewkesbery there are plenty for sale here but dont touch as he is forcing some off , some with £60,000 vans and they cant sell them, one did sell and he had the cheque payed to him so he can take his cut but the seller hasnt seen a penny be care full and stay away from bull or any other site he ownes

Last edited by Cymrudragon; 4th February 2010 at 16:43..
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 16:44   #4
DavidNW
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
My brother in law lived in one for many years and had two homes during that time. He bought a 12ft x 30ft to see if he liked the life and then traded up to a new 20ft x 38ft model. He and his wife loved the freedom and countryside life it gave but his wife got poorly with breathing problems and her doctor said the problem was made worse by the heating which used bottled gas. Although their unit was very modern the site owner would not allow them to brick in the bottom of the unit and they had to board it, this in turn allowed cold air to blow under the unit which meant more heating and a vicious circle started. They moved out to a brick bungalow a couple of months after the doctors diagnosis.

They were allowed to put the unit on the open market at a value of about 80k but the site owner had the opportunity to say no to any prospective buyers. He did this twice and in the end they ended up selling it to the owner at about 20% off the real price. He then took a further 5% off the price as he was allowed to do it to cover his losses whatever they were. Usually it would have been 10% as you say.

The home was lovely and much bigger than my bungalow but it wouldn't be for me. However I do know others that have done it and they love it especially on the over 55s sites.

Hope that helps

Ken

ps the site owner later sold the unit for the full asking price. They may have been unlucky with the site owner I don't know but he was not a person you could easily make friends with. Everything he did was within the law I must add.

pps monthly charges were £110 ground rent
Thanks, Ken. Yes, it does help. It's the fact of not owning the land the is a little disconcerting, as you are at the site owners behest.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:47   #5
DavidNW
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmrudragon View Post
Yes you are correct if you sell your static caravan or chalet you have to get permission of the site owner and offer it to him first is you have a buyer for it he has to approve it and vet the buyer ( this is based on a 9 month and not a 12 month )site. and he will take a percentage around 17% of the sale price . dont know about buying abroad but if you come across a MR P BULL of Bull holdings this guy is a bully as he just bought the site i have a static and he told a few to get off and moved others and raised the rent to over 2 grand a year ... the law protects thoughwho are on a 12 month site but no law for non 12 month.......oh and this Mr Bull owns a load of sites around the country . threw 50 caravaners off another site as well........Cotwold caravan park Twining Tewkesbery there are plenty for sale here but dont touch as he is forcing some off , some with £60,000 vans and they cant sell them, one did sell and he had the cheque payed to him so he can take his cut but the seller hasnt seen a penny be care full and stay away from bull or any other site he ownes
Just drumming over the thought at present as retirement is over five years away - but what a horror story!!