Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th January 2016, 15:35   #21
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Can the ones who find the brakes better, be diesel owners and something to do with diesel brake boosters as well? If I understand correctly, with a diesel you don't get vacuum like in petrols, so they add a vaccum pump to boost the brakes.

I have a diesel auto and find the brakes nice and progressive, but with firm power should I need them. They pull up well and sharpish should I need them.

But, before I was forced to change the brake lines I found them with more "top end" bite (first bit of travel had better bite). Maybe mine needs an ABS circuit bleed as a critter went through a brake line causing me to virtually lose all the fluid.

I have standard brakes.

If you want ultimate braking power, try Pagid performance pads. Pagid "grey" pads made a huge difference to my Fiat coupe (that has 4 pot Brembos). Before with standard pads they were a bit rubbish and faded easily when stopping from high speed (around 60 mph). Now, these make some noise, but pull up well and bite and bite.

Last edited by first-things-first; 4th January 2016 at 15:39..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 15:46   #22
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

I think you may be right John. Some brakes need "warming" before they become efficient - especially the performance pads.

Also, is it better to brake hard (thus making sure pads are de-glazed) but probably shortening pad life or brake progressively and lengthen pad wear (and thus time they will last)?

For some who only use cars occasionally and are gentle brakers, do they work less efficiently over time as not used so "hard"?
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 15:50   #23
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Well, on my standard R75 my brakes are absolutely fine! Lots of feedback and nice progression. Personally I hate the ones that seem like there's nothing then all of a sudden you're going through the windscreen! Anyway, much better than my son's older BMW E36 and daughter's Merc C220 CDI Coupe.. Which both have that 'vague' feeling until bang, you've thrown the Anchor out!!

Although I have to say that in the last few months they have lost a bit of their 'sharpness'. But then I haven't had to change the pads since I bought the car over 5 years ago! And no, I do not wait until a sensor goes off, I check them visibly.

But I feel it's time to bite the bullet as the whole system needs a service/clean...

But I'm thinking of fitting some EBC Ultimax.
Old 4th January 2016, 16:04   #24
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

I must say that the brakes on my tourer are great. They're standard as far as I know (haven't looked at them yet) and are just as good as the ones on my X3 which is only 3 years old.

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 16:13   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

My own brakes are adequate. Although I will be upgrading to 190 calipers before I have to replace the existing ones. In saying that, with heavy braking, ie driving a little too fast approaching a roundabout (in my defence, it is a new road layout and tighter than a normal roundabout) they do fade. I should point out that I am upgrading for the aesthetics, rather than extra stopping power. I believe my fade is caused by the pads ( and a little bit of my failure to apply them earlier Lol )

mine is a diesel auto. And I would consider myself a gentle braker, preferring to slow the car using braking when possible.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 4th January 2016 at 16:16..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 20:24   #26
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Good write up, deserves being a how to.
Mr Bone is offline   Reply With Quote