Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th August 2018, 21:16   #41
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Yes, the likes of the i-Pace, Audi's e-Tron and the Model S and X are definitely aimed at the upper end of the market. It's cars like the Kona, the Niro, the new Leaf, the new Soul and others under £30k (or under £25k) which will be the more commonly seen EVs on our roads this year and next. However the EV offerings from BMW, VW and Volvo (starting with an all-electric XC40) will start making serious inroads into the market from later next year - these slightly more upmarket (in comparison to the aforementioned far eastern marques) brands will carry more of a halo effect for the average car consumer.

Much as an EV would suit me, my own hope is to keep my 75s on the road as long as I feasibly can. They are supremely comfortable to drive, and to my eyes there hasn't been as elegant-looking a mass-market car since it was unveiled. On top of that, I take the view that it's much better to keep a car going for as long as possible, rather than treat them as accessories to be replaced every 2-3 years. But even I have to wonder whether I'll still be running them in five years' time - after all, by then they will all be 20 or more years old. Cosmetically, one is in fair to decent condition, two are in particularly good shape, but all have needed sill welding. I've just reluctantly passed on the fourth one of my collection, since I had to make a decision about which car was going to be allocated the resources I have available. However, I'm not counting on any of the remaining three appreciating in value, not to the degree that I would get back what I've put into them. The pipedream for me is that the cost of converting to electric will have plummeted by the time the engines on mine finally give up the ghost!
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 21:24   #42
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I would say that the best answer for the OPer is simply buying any model petrol or diesel that takes your fancy and drive it for the here and now because we don't really know what the future holds.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 21:26   #43
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I agree somewhat, but now there is a different problem. All the old cars and bikes etc ran on petrol and diesel. Not a great deal of difference to what we use now. The modern cars and bikes are just a progression from what we had back then. The future is going to be very very different, we are moving onto something totally new. Electric power, so the future of any petrol or diesel classic is not as certain

There is another issue with the 75 or ZT becoming a classic. Like someone has already said, people who once owned one in their youth wanting to re-live the past. Unfortunately, the 75, in particular, was bought by old people when they came out, so there is nobody to re-live the past, for obvious reasons.
Well they are working on ways of cleaning up the exhaust gases of the ICE. I know it is a hobby horse of mine - but why oh why were the politicians mislead by the “Greens” into the tax incentives for urban diesel cars?? When we should have stuck with LPG for our urban areas via the Powershift Scheme!

I still think an electric car with a slave LPG engine to simply run a generator gets round an awful lot of the “range issues”.

EDIT - and the torque of an electric motor is such that those of us that like the power delivery of a diesel will not be disappointed

Last edited by Darcydog; 13th August 2018 at 21:29..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 21:46   #44
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Had such an offering been available 10-15 years ago, back when the first Toyota Prius and Honda Insight appeared, I would have jumped at the chance. But hybrids are really a bridging technology which won't be necessary for too much longer at this stage, not when 500+ mile EVs start to appear in another 3 years or so. For manufacturers, there won't be much point in the additional complication of a two-motor setup. The cars coming to market right now are already sufficient to meet the vast majority of motorists' needs in terms of range.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 05:12   #45
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Had such an offering been available 10-15 years ago, back when the first Toyota Prius and Honda Insight appeared, I would have jumped at the chance. But hybrids are really a bridging technology which won't be necessary for too much longer at this stage, not when 500+ mile EVs start to appear in another 3 years or so. For manufacturers, there won't be much point in the additional complication of a two-motor setup. The cars coming to market right now are already sufficient to meet the vast majority of motorists' needs in terms of range.
Very true - but for many applications such as towing and delivery then that 500 mile range will be considerably less.

Plus of course the issue of urban areas where adding a re-charge infrastructure will be relatively easy compared to being “out in the sticks”

Having a “reserve” seems a sensible option to me for those of us who lug things about and don’t have/will not have - the luxury of a fill up opportunity every few miles.

I’m equally sure that photovoltaic cells incorporated into the bodyshell will be another strategy - great for some countries but maybe not that useful in our cold wet winters.

But overall I am convinced that technological advances will by hugely significant.

Just like my solar panels subsidising my utility bills - which this summer have been fantastic! But the difference of course is that we benefit from a FIT - I doubt an equivalent tax break will be available to electric cars?

But then - the Greenies pulled the wool over the eyes of politicians for “dirty diesel” on the most scant, stupid and false premise - so who knows???
Old 14th August 2018, 06:20   #46
Luckygrandads75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

[QUOTE=Darcydog;2659765]Well they are working on ways of cleaning up the exhaust gases of the ICE. I know it is a hobby horse of mine - but why oh why were the politicians mislead by the “Greens” into the tax incentives for urban diesel cars?? When we should have stuck with LPG for our urban areas via the Powershift Scheme!

I still think an electric car with a slave LPG engine to simply run a generator gets round an awful lot of the “range issues”.

EDIT - and the torque of an electric motor is such that those of us that like the power delivery of a diesel will not be disappointed[/QUO

Last edited by Luckygrandads75; 14th August 2018 at 06:30.. Reason: Apologises wrong post
Luckygrandads75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 06:28   #47
Luckygrandads75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Yes, the likes of the i-Pace, Audi's e-Tron and the Model S and X are definitely aimed at the upper end of the market. It's cars like the Kona, the Niro, the new Leaf, the new Soul and others under £30k (or under £25k) which will be the more commonly seen EVs on our roads this year and next. However the EV offerings from BMW, VW and Volvo (starting with an all-electric XC40) will start making serious inroads into the market from later next year - these slightly more upmarket (in comparison to the aforementioned far eastern marques) brands will carry more of a halo effect for the average car consumer.

Much as an EV would suit me, my own hope is to keep my 75s on the road as long as I feasibly can. They are supremely comfortable to drive, and to my eyes there hasn't been as elegant-looking a mass-market car since it was unveiled. On top of that, I take the view that it's much better to keep a car going for as long as possible, rather than treat them as accessories to be replaced every 2-3 years. But even I have to wonder whether I'll still be running them in five years' time - after all, by then they will all be 20 or more years old. Cosmetically, one is in fair to decent condition, two are in particularly good shape, but all have needed sill welding. I've just reluctantly passed on the fourth one of my collection, since I had to make a decision about which car was going to be allocated the resources I have available. However, I'm not counting on any of the remaining three appreciating in value, not to the degree that I would get back what I've put into them. The pipedream for me is that the cost of converting to electric will have plummeted by the time the engines on mine finally give up the ghost!
Exactly my thoughts these last two years since I saw the electric Triumph Herald on the net.Just hope my coolant problem/Mot is not too expensive so my dream can keep on track.
Old 14th August 2018, 06:41   #48
Paul129
Regular poster

Living in hope for a 75

I have been thinking about this problem and I think a company should make electric kits for older cars so you can take out the petrol / diesel engine and fit electric one with all the components needed remove fuel tank and fit batteries, this would be cheeper than buying a new car and all the classics would be able to stay on the road. A company in the u.s. is doing this and fitting it for you there is a VW beetle and a mini.
Paul129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2018, 06:46   #49
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckygrandads75 View Post
Exactly my thoughts these last two years since I saw the electric Triumph Herald on the net.Just hope my coolant problem/Mot is not too expensive so my dream can keep on track.
Are you talking about the Dragon EV conversion? - I read about this a while back and thought it a great idea. I’ve just searched out the Telegraph article again and it makes the point that these conversions do have a slave ICE for heating the interior and demisting/defrosting.

The power drain on batteries for heat generation is such that the range is severely compromised. Hopefully new technology will reduce this if not actually overcome it - but the article does underline the point that an electric vehicle having to use its own reserves for heating the passenger compartment and demisting will be a huge drain for U.K. cars.

In sunny climes obviously not so much of a problem.

So just as well I have a spare FBH tucked away in the garage.
Old 14th August 2018, 06:52   #50
Luckygrandads75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Are you talking about the Dragon EV conversion? - I read about this a while back and thought it a great idea. I’ve just searched out the Telegraph article again and it makes the point that these conversions do have a slave ICE for heating the interior and demisting/defrosting.

The power drain on batteries for heat generation is such that the range is severely compromised. Hopefully new technology will reduce this if not actually overcome it - but the article does underline the point that an electric vehicle having to use its own reserves for heating the passenger compartment and demisting will be a huge drain for U.K. cars.

In sunny climes obviously not so much of a problem.

So just as well I have a spare FBH tucked away in the garage.
Yes I think it was the pale blue Herald .

Last edited by Luckygrandads75; 14th August 2018 at 08:54..