Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd February 2019, 23:39   #1
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default slight prang!

Hi all just had a slight bump in my ZT can you believe. Just passed its MOT as well, cleaned and polished and headlight lenses buffed as they were a bit frosty. Must admit the car looked great. Then I went to work on Monday morning and collided with another car just at the end of my street. Brilliant! Its damaged the front nearside corner consisting of damaged bumper, headlight surround and lens cracked & broken (xenon lights) damaged wing and its just caught the very edge of the tip of the bonnet. As you can imagine I am thinking this will be a write-off. Putting it through the insurance at the moment. They wanted loads of photos of the damage plus all 4 corners of the car, a photo of the VIN number and the mileage on the dash. They have just got back to me today to say the engineer has assessed the vehicle and are basically saying the value of the car is £1334 minus the excess of £550 which leaves me with £728. The car is basically being written off but instead of pressing the Accept button I decided to press the Decline button. Not sure what to do now. Do I dispute the value? I have been told to go for cash in lieu of repairs and that way I avoid a salvage title being attached to the vehicle. I need your thoughts on whether to accept the write off or do I fight to keep it and try and fix it myself. Just to clarify the car is an MG ZT190SE in Pearl Black 54 plate. I also need to bear in mind the availability of parts such as headlights and wings etc with purchase costs and of course painting costs. Is it worth it to save the car or not? Mark.
Mark190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 04:07   #2
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

Hi Mark,
I would say save it if you like the car!
I would ask for cash in lieu of repairs, then source some second hand parts (correct colour for wing and bonnet to save on respray costs). I am presuming that chassis rails haven't been twisted.
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 07:55   #3
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

If nothing is bent out of shape then repair it yourself, it doesn't sound too bad, where are you going to buy a car for £700?
Old 23rd February 2019, 08:05   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

repair it if you would like to keep the car.
headlight, if you cant get xenon can you fit ordinary lights?
All the rest are easy to swop out.

As said, what will you get for "£700" You could even end up with money left over

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 09:53   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Mark after contacting you through email, glad to see you post up a thread.

Did you contact ( mickyboy ) like I said too, because if he can help he will, also remember regarding the light you could contact ( Devlish ) he as some refurbished lights I think.

Post up a couple of photo's of the damage, who's fault was the accident ? also that is high excess of £550 I only have excess of £100, sounds like you have about £450 worth of second hand parts to find, and about 3/ hours work to fit them, should you decide to save it.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:06   #6
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

You can get parts easily enough and it would definitely be worth rebuilding as there aren't that many 190's around.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:23   #7
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Mark after contacting you through email, glad to see you post up a thread.

Did you contact ( mickyboy ) like I said too, because if he can help he will, also remember regarding the light you could contact ( Devlish ) he as some refurbished lights I think.

Post up a couple of photo's of the damage, who's fault was the accident ? also that is high excess of £550 I only have excess of £100, sounds like you have about £450 worth of second hand parts to find, and about 3/ hours work to fit them, should you decide to save it.
Morning Steve I take it you want some pictures then! ha ha I am just on my way up to a local bodyshop place to see how much they want to spray the wing and bumper because yes I did contact Mickyboy as you said and he can get them but not in Pearl Black so they would need to be sprayed the correct colour. I got the figures round the wrong way it would leave me with £782 not £728. Well as regards fault I pulled out of the junction at the bottom of our road turning right and collided with a Ford Mondeo coming from my left. Didn't see him at all until it was too late. Now it was dark as it was 5.40am and he must have been hidden behind the thick window pillar which is a bit of a blind spot on the ZT in my opinion. So for all intents and purposes it was my fault but since the accident my wife has suggested the simple theory of did the other guy even have his lights on and I have thought about it a lot since and it could be a possibility simply because I stopped at the junction, looked and didn't see anything and pulled out. But I simply have no proof of that so not much I can do.
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:35   #8
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark190 View Post
I stopped at the junction, looked and didn't see anything and pulled out. But I simply have no proof of that so not much I can do.
It can happen to the best of us - even royalty! We all have a built in blind spot
https://lasikofnv.com/try-these-3-fu...al-blind-spot/
The secret is to move your eyes slightly from left to right to "scan" and the blind spot is then seen (apart from the A pillar!). Good luck and best wishes with the rebuild. Mike
Old 23rd February 2019, 10:48   #9
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default slight prang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
You can get parts easily enough and it would definitely be worth rebuilding as there aren't that many 190's around.
Hi Neil thanks for the reply its almost unthinkable to let it go. I will try and get some photos up of the damage later. With a little bit of effort and help off the guys on here its perfectly do-able. I really don't like insurance companies!
For the price of a bumper and wing, some paint and a headlight plus some bits & pieces it can be done. But the insurance just want to send it to salvage. So I declined their offer and wait to see what they will do next.
Old 23rd February 2019, 15:32   #10
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark190 View Post
Hi Neil thanks for the reply its almost unthinkable to let it go. I will try and get some photos up of the damage later. With a little bit of effort and help off the guys on here its perfectly do-able. I really don't like insurance companies!
For the price of a bumper and wing, some paint and a headlight plus some bits & pieces it can be done. But the insurance just want to send it to salvage. So I declined their offer and wait to see what they will do next.
Over here I would not accept a penny from the insurance company for what amount to about a 500-600 pound repair. It would cost double or triple that or more in increased premiums over the next 5-10 years. Even spreading the repairs over a couple of months to ease the damage to my wallet would be a better choice for me. Make it driveable first and pretty second, if necessary.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote