Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st January 2020, 14:28   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default heads up to anyone looking to buy this replacement Rover 75 diesel exhaust flexi

The flexi on redfive was blowing so I ordered this replacement flexi off ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-MGZ....c100167.m2940

However what should have been a couple hours task turned into a day and a half task. Whilst the replacement part is fine on the manifold down pipe end with the 3 bolt joint which fits perfectly, the other end which attaches just ahead of the catalytic converter is completely the wrong size.

On that end the way it's made you have a inner sleeve and outer sleeve which is meant to fit on the inside and outside of the car's exhaust, however the inner sleeve's diameter is too large so won't fit inside the car's exhaust, and the outer sleeve's diameter is too small so it won't fit over the car's exhaust as well.

By the time I realised this I'd already cut off the old flexi, so to fit it had to knock the inner sleeve further into the replacement exhaust part so that it's out of the way and had to heat and bend the outer sleeve out to increase the diameter, and had to spend a lot of time angle grinding the car's exhaust (where the replacement part fits just ahead of the catalytic converter) to reduce the diameter of that pipe so that your replacement part would just about fit.

Luckily after hours of effort I managed to get it to fit properly with a perfect leak free seal.

I asked about on the facebook groups if anyone else had experienced the same issue and received a few responses confirming they'd had the same problem.

I've messaged the seller about this, see if I get any response to say they'll amend it. I'll update on here if they correct it.

So just thought I'd put a heads up on here in case anyone else was going to order one.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2020, 15:35   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I'll watch this to see what reply you get, thanks

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2020, 16:09   #3
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Rick,
This firm is only down the road from me, I called in last year to enquire about a connection pipe which I didn't use in the end but they seemed quite helpful so hopefully you will get a positive response.
If I can help in any way by calling in let me know.
Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:07   #4
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I've received a good response from them. They've noted that they've received feedback from a few recent buyers of the exact same issue, so the lady replying to my messages has said she's going to raise it with the manager to see if they can take the item down until they've looked into why the measurement is wrong.

Just to confirm, all of the diesel exhausts are the same aren't they? apart from the tail pipes on the back box which are different, there's no other difference between the 75 and ZT diesel exhaust? I.e. the diameter of the pipe etc is all the same?

The only change I recall is the early ones had a extra silencer just after the cat that was deleted on later models?
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:44   #5
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

I bought this exact same item and struggled with it at first, I eventually pulled out the inner sleeve after someone suggested so, so I just thought it was left in by mistake, but the outer diameter was a perfect fit so I clamped it on then drove to a garage to get it welded on happy in the end seems a quality item.
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 19:53   #6
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

I bought from them a few years ago and was fine no issues at all.