Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th January 2019, 09:37   #21
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Although most cars with factory xenons came out the factory with headlamp wash and self levelling (not all of them did, think some mitsubishi cars had xenons without headlamp wash and self levelling in the late 90's), it's never been an MOT requirement to have them. Our car's should never fail on headlamp washers even if they're fitted but aren't working, as they are only a testable item on cars registered from 2009 on wards.

In regards to your sidelights, they can't be blue or any other colour apart from white or yellow. failing it for having a blueish tint to them is just petty. if you want LED sidelights go for 6000k pure white ones and make sure they are canbus ones other wise you'll get a bulb error. These will pas an MOT fine.

Yes that's the only down side to Xenons, that if a burner fails it requires you to take the bumper off and headlight out to change it. But burners very rarely fail, and if you install new burners before fitting the xenons you most likely won't have to change them again whilst you have the car. I've had many xenons go through me where I use them for my upgrades, and every single set I've come across has had the original burners fitted still.

Fitting new burners does make a decent difference
That isn't correct as I know first hand when I had my Honda Accord as that had headlight wash on a normal halogen headlights;
"If headlight wash is fitted it must work"
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 11:00   #22
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
That isn't correct as I know first hand when I had my Honda Accord as that had headlight wash on a normal halogen headlights;
"If headlight wash is fitted it must work"
See here Neil, only a testable item for car's registered from 2009 on wards.

Doesn't need to be working on car's older than 2009 as it's not a testable item. My ZT-T's headlamp washer's don't currently work as the pump has failed, passed an MOT fine as it's not a testable item on it.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 12:03   #23
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:

Doesn't need to be working on car's older than 2009 as it's not a testable item. My ZT-T's headlamp washer's don't currently work as the pump has failed, passed an MOT fine as it's not a testable item on it.
You probably know this already Rick, but the bmw headlight washer motors from same era as our cars fit and work. Around 10-15 quid on the bay and 10 mins to fit.

sent from here

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 12:09   #24
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
You probably know this already Rick, but the bmw headlight washer motors from same era as our cars fit and work. Around 10-15 quid on the bay and 10 mins to fit.

sent from here
Cheers Alan just not got round to replacing it yet, I have a list of jobs to do in one go when I get round to removing the bumper so will be replacing the pump then Got the slam panel to replace, headlights and fog lights to upgrade, twin horns to fit, stainless grill meshes to fit etc.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2019, 12:55   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Cheers Alan just not got round to replacing it yet, I have a list of jobs to do in one go when I get round to removing the bumper so will be replacing the pump then Got the slam panel to replace, headlights and fog lights to upgrade, twin horns to fit, stainless grill meshes to fit etc.
You can do the washer easily with only pulling back the plastic shield but it will take seconds to fit with the bumper off lol.

Have been looking to replace the mesh myself with the jag woven stuff, but keep forgetting to measure lol

sent from here

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 11:15   #26
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:

That's all well and good if your car has HID's fitted my Honda didn't and my neighbours car has normal headlights with wash and his must work.

So different rules for different parts of the country, which is about right.

The new rules on the MOT came into force last year, many of the MOT Stations down here in the West Country still hark back to the stone age.
Old 1st February 2019, 12:40   #27
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil1 View Post
That's all well and good if your car has HID's fitted my Honda didn't and my neighbours car has normal headlights with wash and his must work.

So different rules for different parts of the country, which is about right.

The new rules on the MOT came into force last year, many of the MOT Stations down here in the West Country still hark back to the stone age.
Dont worry, it is covered in this years annual assessment so by the end of March they should all be up to date
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 12:46   #28
Neil1

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Dont worry, it is covered in this years annual assessment so by the end of March they should all be up to date
I must admit the local garage I use are pretty good at keeping my car on the road.
However they admittedly that the new rules have been a minefield to go through and caused all sorts of issues as some still have 'grey areas'.
Old 1st February 2019, 19:10   #29
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

My Mazda 6 recently passed its MOT with aftermarket HIDs fitted in its projector headlights. It's a late 06 with no headlight washers or self levelling.

HIDs should not be used in reflector headlights, be they older ones like the 75 or newer style clear lens, as they are not designed for HID 'bulbs' and blind other road users.