Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th July 2014, 08:39   #11
SirRustalot
Gets stuck in

Box of ales and some cheap sunglasses

Here's mine just before I sold it. I regretted it immediately, bought another identical to it...but sold it soon after. Tank range was about 80 miles (on a good day) which was pretty pointless for my needs and worth only a run to Knockhill, a razz around the track and the trip home. Plus it was murder on my ageing wrists. I now have something more sedate (a mint Kawasaki ZX9R).

Last edited by SirRustalot; 3rd August 2014 at 22:52..
SirRustalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 10:48   #12
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

The bike test is fairly simple, I did the direct access course about 16 years ago, CBT on a 125 riding round cones etc in a car park/ off road area. Then about 1 hour out on the road.
After that. I did my lessons on a Honda VFR400 , most of the test is similar to a car test, emergency stop, slow riding, u turn on the bike using throttle/clutch control, then u turn walking the bike, demonstrating your ability to handle it whilst pushing, ie in. the event of a breakdown.

As Jay has already mentioned, remember your lifesaver each time you turn, left or right, and also make your observations clear, ie turn your head when checking your mirrors, every second or third lamp post a glance over your right shoulder, but don't do what I did and turn your head as if to look behind you, as
without you realising, this turns the bike slightly towards the centre of the road. Just turn your head to shoulder level
Of course the rules and requirements may have changed since I did mine,so,take notice of your instructor,rather than me, good luck
Old 28th July 2014, 17:29   #13
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Looking Good.

I've recently sold my 'M' plate Sprint and have to say I miss it.

They are very comfortable to ride, go well and the sound of the triple is magic.

The one thing to watch is the sprag clutch. I bought mine with a sprag failure and it is a bitch to replace. It required the engine to be split.
To avoid any unnecessary strain on the part always have a quality battery in good health. Hold the clutch in while starting. Never take it off choke too early. Make these simple rules a habit and you should avoid any problems.

I never had any other faults on mine and it gave many hours of joy. I only sold it because my neighbour kept peering over the fence admiring it and, eventually, came up with the top dollar price I asked for it.

I've since replaced it with a right dog.
Lovely looking bike. I hope to keep mine and maybe buy something else to run along side it. I know these bikes really do get under your skin

I'll certainly take those tips on board, changing a sprag clutch sounds like a nightmare job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Its a fantastic looking bike Tom in a great colour,and 2bhp more than mine. Mind you it will also be a lot quicker than my bike too, better to tour on and pull wheelies. Ok forget the last bit, safety first!

I couldn't wait to ride my first large bike on the road too. Had to wait to pass my test like you. Its not to bad to take. Instructors like people that don't hesitate (well it was in my case as the instructor told me so when I passed). Then I got to ride my Honda CB750k7 and it was an ace feeling. If you haven't already seen it this is it...

Good luck on your test. You should be fine. Remember the 'life saver' over shoulder look and post up more pics and video's. I for one would be really interested to see them
The Harley looks great, not sure I'd want to own one, but I certainly want a go!

I like the CB750 too! Lovely bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRustalot View Post
Here's mine just before I sold it. I regretted it immediately, bought another identical to it...but sold it soon after. Tank range was about 80 miles (on a good day) which was pretty pointless for my needs and worth only a run to Knockhill, a razz around the track and the trip home. Plus it was murder on my aging wrists. I now have something more sedate (a mint Kawasaki ZX9R).
Nutter. That is all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
The bike test is fairly simple, I did the direct access course about 16 years ago, CBT on a 125 riding round cones etc in a car park/ off road area. Then about 1 hour out on the road.
After that. I did my lessons on a Honda VFR400 , most of the test is similar to a car test, emergency stop, slow riding, u turn on the bike using throttle/clutch control, then u turn walking the bike, demonstrating your ability to handle it whilst pushing, ie in. the event of a breakdown.

As Jay has already mentioned, remember your lifesaver each time you turn, left or right, and also make your observations clear, ie turn your head when checking your mirrors, every second or third lamp post a glance over your right shoulder, but don't do what I did and turn your head as if to look behind you, as
without you realising, this turns the bike slightly towards the centre of the road. Just turn your head to shoulder level
Of course the rules and requirements may have changed since I did mine,so,take notice of your instructor,rather than me, good luck
Thanks for the tips!

Passed my MOD1 today (carpark stuff, slalom, uturn, that kind of thing), got my MOD2 (road test) next Weds. Fingers and toes crossed!!
My project thread HERE
MG Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 19:10   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Tom View Post
Its miles better than an old Fazer or Bandit. Some self restraint will be required methinks, but I think we will get on well together.

Thanks for the good wishes, I'm so nervous, which I never was when I did my car or HGV tests
not better than a MK1 Maroon Bandit, sorry
macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2014, 19:25   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

As its your first bike be careful' I don't want to read that you have had an off. It's not the quickest bike around but nevertheless quick. Don't go spanking it round corners in the wet.
People talk about this being a British bike, may be but it has taken a lot of its build design from Jap bikes.

enjoy

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 11:07   #16
mick160
Loves to post

MG ZT 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Tom View Post
... a 1998 Triumph Sprint Executive, a British bike with a lovely 885cc triple cylinder engine, and wonderful colour matched hard luggage.

Its my first motorbike, and I'm already in love.

I have my MOD1 test tomorrow, and MOD2 booked for 6th August. Its going to be a long 10 days before I'm allowed to ride it!

I've locked it up in a friends garage to remove any temptation to ride it, but a quick test ride had me grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Any tips with these? I'd love to here your biking stories

Here she is.

And without the luggage with me looking a bit, well, silly...

Very nice.

Reminds me of my old Triumph Trident 750 from around the same era.

Enjoy.
mick160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 21:22   #17
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

Nice looking Trident Mick. I really do have a soft spot for these Hinkley bikes. I may have to find a project bike too.
My project thread HERE
Old 6th August 2014, 21:04   #18
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

So I had my MOD2 today - and PASSED1

One minor - back in the car park at the test centre I cut a corner. Annoyed, but not bad in the scheme of things.

Done 60 miles on the Triumph, she's a beauty - I can see us being happy together.
My project thread HERE
Old 6th August 2014, 21:12   #19
Yeti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT190+, MG ZT-T Diesel

Now you start learning, be safe!
Old 7th August 2014, 13:23   #20
KeefB

MG ZT

Nice first bike mate, just make sure you take it easy
KeefB is offline   Reply With Quote