Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th May 2014, 10:25   #121
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

Do stick with it, once fixed properly it will last a very long time indeed!
My project thread HERE
MG Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 18:43   #122
corneliusfield

MG ZT

Hi,
Yep, I will. Just been working on it now.
Cheers.
corneliusfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 04:32   #123
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I'm on night shift so had a bit of time, now read this entire thread and what an outstanding one it is.

Many thanks for your work here Einar, absolutely brilliant.

Fred (planenut)
planenut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 20:51   #124
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Just read this project from start to finish. Absolutely brilliant. To be honest, it brings back when I completely stripped the engine down out of my Daimler v8 250 saloon. The joy of turning the key for the first time, and it fires up and runs perfectly. Sold that car during the fuel rises in the late 70s.
Old 12th April 2016, 05:36   #125
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the feedback It was a fun project to do

This engine has been in daily use for two years now and covered nearly 30000miles without causing any serious trouble.

The sad thing is that this project has not had the happy ending I wished it should have. The engine developed a coolant loss over the first year which was around 0,5 litre / tank of fuel. Traces of coolant was found in the oil so I decided to replace the HG. I used the same type of gasket together with the shim and this one has been completely watertight since changed. The other issue is that it is burning to much oil. Around 0.5l/tank of fuel. Compression test is fine and engine runs like a dream. I still wonder where the oil goes. Is it past the piston rings or valve seals? What went wrong? I could swap the cylinder head with a known good one I have to see if it cures the problem but at this point i do not bother to do anything so I just monitor the oil level and tops it up with the cheapest oil I can find when necessary. A bit disappointing, but thats life
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 04:50   #126
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi all,

The story continues...
Lately I have got tired of this car and its niggles and was seriously thinking of let it go to the scrapper and replace it with a Jag X-type estate. The engine drinks oil now, the DMF does not feels good and there has been a whine/rattle from the release bearing since it was installed. There is also an oil leak coming from the flywheel side of the engine. I do not know if this is from the bell housing or between the engine layers. Fixing these things would require some cash and man hours. After a 400 mile trip this weekend I have had some time to think and decided that I would try to do the best out of what I have and try to source an used DMF and get things up to a working standard.

The old engine was mainly replaced due to a misfire under load, high RPM which I could not get sorted when it was installed. The old engine did not use any water and oil after it got it last HG change, so this one is mechanically good. The misfire is still there with the "new" engine and the cause lies somewhere else.

The plan now is to put the old engine back, together with a good used DMF and a new slave cylinder. Clutch has only done 32k miles so I do not bother to replace this. A new timing belt and WP will be put on the old engine together with a few other service items and gaskets.

Doing this would keep the cost down to a minimum and hopefully make this car mechanically acceptable again and I will investigate the misfire further after all these bits are in place.
I also see this as this as the best solution economically as spending a £300-400£ on the required parts to keep the car running for a few more years than spending £6000 on a Jag....

More to come....

Last edited by beinet1; 13th October 2016 at 04:58..
Old 14th December 2016, 08:07   #127
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi all,

The old engine is now back into the car: http://forums.mg-rover.org/mg-zt-rov...4/index11.html

So, the project engine after 60000km`s:

This engine is now back in the engine stand. Turning the engine by hand shows me that there is a badly leaking valve on the inlet of cyl.3.
I removed the cylinder head and discovered a large amount of carbon deposits, evenly in all cylinders. This is probably due to the large amount of oil burned through this engine:

Based on my observation, I have made the following assumption: A badly leaking inlet valve on no.3 has caused the misfire under load condition. This leak has also created excessive pressure in the inlet manifold and crankcase which has pressed the oil past the piston rings and out other seals. If the oil consumption was caused by bad piston rings or valve seals, the carbon deposits would only be showing in the actual cylinder and not evenly as in this case. The fault code reader also address the misfire to cyl.3.

Does anyone follow my assumptions?

I think I will investigate the affected valves closer. The focus should also be put on the tappets for the actual valve.

Last edited by beinet1; 16th January 2018 at 19:04..
Old 15th December 2016, 20:16   #128
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Is that piston no4 burnt? And yes its possible ecxessive crankase pressure caused your leaks. Job to say if it was valve seals or rings, but I would remove each one and check them in a liner. Its unlikely that all the stem seals are faulty?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 05:34   #129
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I don't think there is much chance of an inlet valve leaking, unless there is something seriously amiss somewhere else. Normally it is the exhaust valves that are highly stressed and they can get burned and leak.
Also the whole engine looks stressed. I think you have general wear problems, and rings and guides would stand up as possibles.

As mentioned it looks as if pieces of piston are missing and also as if there are marks on the deck of at least one, how can that be??.
The engine in one word looks "tired, and I think it was a good idea to pull it.

Let's see when you have stripped it. Parts are easy to replace, and not that expensive. I wonder if any of this is caused by lower compression owing to the saver shim? Not that I can see how that should have happened, but the engine does not look right to me. Even the colours of the valves are off. It looks as if it has run cool, fat and rich.
Old 16th December 2016, 07:44   #130
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi,

One inlet valve was leaking badly, no doubt about that. I will check this one closer on next opportunity. Except for the excessive carbon build up, the piston crowns are fine.
As already mentioned, it surprises me that the carbon buildup is evenly on all cylinders. If there was faulty rings or valve seals on one cylinder, the carbon buildup would only show on that one. One other possibility is that the overall quality of the piston/liners fitted is bad. I do not bother to put to much effort in this engine now, but finding the answer for the issue would be nice to have in my experience pool

Last edited by beinet1; 16th December 2016 at 07:48..