Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th May 2014, 19:00   #41
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

So does anyone know how many of these launch cars are still around, or how rare (or otherwise) they are?
1a. Headlights polished - DONE! (Magic Mike )
2. Auto dip rear view mirror
3. Seats replaced - DONE! (thank you Mischief)
7. Bodywork repainted
8. Inlet manifold changed for a working one - DONE! (Magic Mike )
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 19:31   #42
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie666 View Post
So does anyone know ... how rare (or otherwise) they are?
There were a few hundred built for the British market, and hundreds more worldwide.
Quote:
... does anyone know how many of these launch cars are still around ..
That's a task of continuous research Dale. If you come across one for sale, there's a special thread in which you can post details. I'm trying to keep an up-to-date record of them, and the club is too.

Incidentally, I've just discovered that the car discussed in this thread was built on the same day as mine.

Simon
Old 8th May 2014, 19:45   #43
Howie666

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
There were a few hundred built for the British market, and hundreds more worldwide.

That's a task of continuous research Dale. If you come across one for sale, there's a special thread in which you can post details. I'm trying to keep an up-to-date record of them, and the club is too.

Incidentally, I've just discovered that the car discussed in this thread was built on the same day as mine.

Simon
So we're in the hundreds. Even with it's 'poor heritage' it must be worth saving. Of course, scrapped and parted out it will make the shiny ones that bit more valuable... I dread to think what some people would do with my car if they got their hands on it.
7. Bodywork repainted
Old 8th May 2014, 20:32   #44
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

Its only just up the road from me, and I would dearly love a launch car, but even if this was FOC, it needs transporting home and thousands of pounds lavishing on it.

I bought a very good solid and well maintained ZT and have spent over £2k fixing niggles and maintaining it in just a year...

What a shame these cars aren't worth just a little more.
My project thread HERE
MG Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 21:18   #45
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

To ''Save or not to Save'' ?

Let me start with asking you to ponder something whilst you read my thoughts on the saving/scrapping debate. (if you are interested that is lol)

Remember the, Ford Granada, Citroen CX, Citroen XM, Toyota Crown, Vauxhall Omega, Renault 25, Peugeot 605, Talbot Tagora, I could go on, but you get the idea.

The scrapping/saving debate, well it is simple. If someone wants it, if they have the cash and is willing to spend it, let them, congratulate them for buying a 75, support them for any problems they have, as we all have received and hopefully continue to receive. It is their money, not mine or yours......

Now back to those cars above, when they were all around 7 or 8 years out of production, how many were left then as a percentage of the number built? How much were they worth? How much would you have paid for one as say 10 years old? How much would you be prepared to pay for one now? (of course rust protection, build quality etc all play a part in their survival back then, but a similar argument could be made about ECU problems of modern cars could be the equivalent of rust back then)

The majority these cars would be perhaps worth little more than scrap to most of us, even in great condition. I believe 75/ZTs are the same. The value of our cars is really as much as you are willing to pay. Some people will be willing to pay what some others would consider too much, but whose business is that? Those cars at the top, would you be like me, and congratulate, admire the car and talk to, an owner? They may have spent their hard earned, on it, from new, or as a 30 year old 'classic' .But it is THEIR hard earned they have spent.

As for the car in the original post, to me, it is little money even if you had to spend a grand on it, for what is a decent car, I think most of us will all agree on that. Now this is where I think the problem arises. Currently for similar money, or not much more, you can get a similar car in running condition. Still great value too.

Fast forward 20 years, our cars will be like the ones I mentioned above. But, who then will buy one, or want one and be willing to pay, what we think they will be worth then? People will talk about the 75, or a ZT wistfully. My dad had one of those, I remember those, how many of those do you see now? The majority of those wistful thinkers, will still not part with the £8000 price tag for a 35 year old 75/ZT , it is still a 35 year old car. £8000 would likely buy you a 5 year old reliable hybrid, with recently replaced battery pack/fuel cell . Of course then will likely only be a weekend driver, so it is going to be a limited audience, someone looking for such a thing. Of those who would want a 75/ZT?

Again, back to my point, those that do pay the money, it is none of my business, it is not my money. But I hope to be able to say, ''Ah nice car, mine is Starlight Silver, are you aware of the 75 and ZT club?''
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 21:35   #46
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Just saw a Citroen XM on the news two minutes ago¬¬¬¬ lol
Old 8th May 2014, 21:41   #47
Howie666

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

I take your point but at POL I saw cars that were maybe 60 plus years old and looking better than some 1/6 of their age! If people can hang on to them for long enough (great grandchildren age maybe) they will travel full circle and be desirable again?
7. Bodywork repainted
Old 8th May 2014, 22:23   #48
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie666 View Post
I take your point but at POL I saw cars that were maybe 60 plus years old and looking better than some 1/6 of their age! If people can hang on to them for long enough (great grandchildren age maybe) they will travel full circle and be desirable again?
But into my point again. Personally I wouldn't have a minor of any heritage , quality or value, as an example. Quite simply they don't appeal to me. So if I was to be offered one, on the condition that I had to keep and maintain it, I would offer fifty quid. It has no value to me. But to an enthusiastic buyer,the value would be in the thousands. (note, I don't say enthusiast, for I don't believe because someone thinks someone suggests a car is not worth scrapping they are not an enthusiast). Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Value in the pocket of the owners ;-)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 8th May 2014, 23:20   #49
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

I'm restoring an X reg manual 2.0 KV6 and an X reg CDT at the mo.
Very enjoyable working on the early ones, the quality was soooooow much greater before project drive !!

Value wise in years to come just look at the Stag and Tr4 5 & T6 values
Some are still holding 5 figures for pristine examples.
The same may happen to the 75ZT after the numbers drop off.

I beg you all to outbid the breakers on these cars

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 00:09   #50
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I'm restoring an X reg manual 2.0 KV6 and an X reg CDT at the mo.
Very enjoyable working on the early ones, the quality was soooooow much greater before project drive !!

Value wise in years to come just look at the Stag and Tr4 5 & T6 values
Some are still holding 5 figures for pristine examples.
The same may happen to the 75ZT after the numbers drop off.

I beg you all to outbid the breakers on these cars

Sadly, I do not think it will be like this for the 75, perhaps the ZT to a limited extent. The ZT V8 could be in the same realms as the Rover P5B coupe, with the 75 V8 like the P5B. Thinking like that the 'normal' 75s and ZTs would be along lines of the pre-B P5.

I do hope I am wrong though You never know, someday we could be reading a 'How to' on 'How to Spot a fake ZT' or 'How to Spot a fake V8' ?