Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th April 2014, 14:14   #31
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

What would benefit of the cooler behind offside rear wheel?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 14:30   #32
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 15:42   #33
MG Tom
Posted a thing or two

ex. MG ZT+

Quote:
To cool the fuel before it is returned to the tank!
My project thread HERE
MG Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 19:17   #34
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

How do variations in tyre circumference fit into the ECU's reckoning of fuel consumption and range?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 19:26   #35
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
How do variations in tyre circumference fit into the ECU's reckoning of fuel consumption and range?

TC
Well, ignoring the fact that the mpg calculation can be user adjusted, they don't.

Its idea of a measured mile will change slightly, depending on the circumference, but I doubt any standard options will make a noticeable difference.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 15th April 2014, 19:36   #36
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking?
sorry my fault, quick fat fingers typing. Should have read, What would be the benefit of the cooler?

MG Tom has answered that

Why I asked is, HarryM1BYT, you said diesels purposely warm the fuel to make it free flowing. That makes sense, but having a radiator to cool the fuel didnt make sense lol. Cooling it going back to the tank, does make sense though, if maybe a little over engineered perhaps?

I mean, how much fuel is actually needed to be returned to the tank. With so many ECU's I would have thought the pumps would only have delivered a continual required amount, with perhaps a little excess for bursts, then using the excess as a buffer ( a bit like decent CD players). I do understand when switched off, there would be a need to return fuel to the tank, but how much would that return be, if there is a need for a small radiator.
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 19:53   #37
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
sorry my fault, quick fat fingers typing. Should have read, What would be the benefit of the cooler?

MG Tom has answered that

Why I asked is, HarryM1BYT, you said diesels purposely warm the fuel to make it free flowing. That makes sense, but having a radiator to cool the fuel didnt make sense lol. Cooling it going back to the tank, does make sense though, if maybe a little over engineered perhaps?

I mean, how much fuel is actually needed to be returned to the tank. With so many ECU's I would have thought the pumps would only have delivered a continual required amount, with perhaps a little excess for bursts, then using the excess as a buffer ( a bit like decent CD players). I do understand when switched off, there would be a need to return fuel to the tank, but how much would that return be, if there is a need for a small radiator.
The two electric pumps deliver much more fuel than is needed by the engine at maximum consumption, as does the HP mechanical pump. The delivery is constant, with the HP pumps action imparting a lot of heat and pressure into the fuel, before it is then fed to the injectors.

The surplus hot fuel not used by the injectors, is then allowed to return to the tank under very little pressure, via the cooler unit. Whether it needs to be cooled or not, is determined by a thermostat, similar to the coolant thermostat. If the diesel in the tank gets too hot, the plastic tank could be damaged, too cool and it will not flow so easily so the stat/ cooler, keeps it (once up to temperature) at a steady temperature.

Flow and return to the tank has been standard on both petrol and diesel cars for some years. Slightly more complex than just a flow, but the twin pipe system avoids the need for pumps which stop and start, like the unreliable SU pump.

Old 15th April 2014, 22:30   #38
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:

MG Tom has answered that

I mean, how much fuel is actually needed to be returned to the tank.
When the fuel is cold it doesn't return to the tank but recirculates around the LP circuit, with the losses being topped up by the ITP.

This allows the fuel being supplied to the HP pump to warm up. When the temperature of the returning fuel reaches 76C the thermostat opens and then regulates the fuel temperature.

There are a few sketches of the circuit here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=172055
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 13:33   #39
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
When the fuel is cold it doesn't return to the tank but recirculates around the LP circuit, with the losses being topped up by the ITP.

This allows the fuel being supplied to the HP pump to warm up. When the temperature of the returning fuel reaches 76C the thermostat opens and then regulates the fuel temperature.

There are a few sketches of the circuit here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=172055
That is an over simplified diagram and includes none of the complexity in the tank. T-cut's diagram is better, but naturally even more complex.

My understanding is that there is always some returned fuel going back to the tank and that the cooler is there to prevent the fuel in the tank getting too hot.

Old 16th April 2014, 14:11   #40
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes it doesn't show either the plumbing in the tank or the tank venting arrangements, but what it does show isn't simplified and is an accurate description of the rest of the pipework because it was traced out from what is fitted to the car, as can be seen here:

[IMG][/IMG]

I've mentioned in the past to TC the diagram in his book isn't an accurate flow diagram of what you see when you look in the tank. When I get some spare time I'll have the scrapper tank apart and trace the pipework out.

As for there always being fuel returning to the tank, apart from a small amount of fuel getting past the restriction in the 5 port valve, when the thermostat is shut there isn't a direct path back to the tank.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 16th April 2014 at 21:17..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote