Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th January 2013, 19:56   #1
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default Luddite At Large

At the risk of exposing myself to public ridicule, not that that’s a new experience for me, I need to ask a techy question.

Is there such a thing as a device, I assume GPS related, that works in the UK and EU? I mean a hand held item rather than a car installation and enables you to mark your present location with a ‘click’ and then find your way back by another ’click’? We are considering a jaunt through Europe by R75 and some of it will be via public transport and Shanks’ Pony/bike so we need ’bearings’ capability. Preferably non-backpack dimensions would be ideal. No, I’m not joking, I really am that uninformed. Info would be gratefully received.
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 20:00   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

My Garmin Nuvi works in town, Jean used it a lot when we were on holiday to find her way about when she went shopping in town, she clicked the cars location, just stuck it in her handbag and orf she went.. and you can get EU maps for it..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 20:05   #3
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Sounds like you could do with a Garmin e-trex or similar. Shows up coordinates and lots of other information. Has the facility to mark a position and then track back to it. You can also punch in coordinates from a map and then guide you there. Very good handheld unit
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 04:46   #4
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
My Garmin Nuvi works in town, Jean used it a lot when we were on holiday to find her way about when she went shopping in town, she clicked the cars location, just stuck it in her handbag and orf she went.. and you can get EU maps for it..

this'll work, they even have models which help wit husing public transport,

http://www.garmin.com/uk/maps/cityxplorer

however, does your mobile phone not have satnav?
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 08:12   #5
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default Considered a Smart Phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Is there such a thing as a device, I assume GPS related, that works in the UK and EU? I mean a hand held item rather than a car installation and enables you to mark your present location with a ‘click’ and then find your way back by another ’click’? We are considering a jaunt through Europe by R75 and some of it will be via public transport and Shanks’ Pony/bike so we need ’bearings’ capability. Preferably non-backpack dimensions would be ideal. No, I’m not joking, I really am that uninformed. Info would be gratefully received.
If you haven't looked at phones, get some advice on your options from someone with experience of all types. I only have experience of my Nokia and I think it's brilliant. Maps of anywhere in the world can be downloaded for free if you use your computer to download them and transfer them to the phone, or use a WiFi connection instead of trying download large files over the phone system. It can be used just like a satnav in walking or driving modes, or like an atlas or a street map. Nearby places of interest, restaurants, etc can be called up, with their addresses and phone numbers and even things like bus stops are on the maps. IMO you need something with a connection to the Internet, so you can easily get the transport timetables, look at restaurant reviews, book that show, etc.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 12:54   #6
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

As peviously mentioned most after market satnav's have the facility to save a location and it would just be a case of using it hand held to navigate back to where the car was located etc.

Most modern mobile (non-smart) handsets have the facility to download google maps, you can then save a location as a favourite and then navigate back when required.

If you've got access to a smartphone again google maps are an option or there are a multitude of navigation apps could do exactly as you want.
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 13:05   #7
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanks everyone, everything I need to know in an instant!
Old 12th January 2013, 18:31   #8
bongi69
Gets stuck in

75 Connoissuer 2.0 CDT AKA Josie

If you have an android smartphone and have the latest version of google maps there is an option to save a portion of the map for offline viewing before you leave, and then you can set a point for wherever you're parked and use that to nav back to when done

Recent stats from my euro road trip: 1605 miles driven through 5 different countries, 160.7 litres of diesel used giving an MPG of 47.1. Total diesel cost €222, €0.13 per mile
bongi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 14:36   #9
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

What? Me with a smart phone? I don't allow anything smarter than me within 10 yards of me!
Old 14th January 2013, 14:43   #10
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
What? Me with a smart phone? I don't allow anything smarter than me within 10 yards of me!
I have a wife like that
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote