Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th January 2015, 12:57   #381
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

One other point to note is that the solid rubber circular seal for the screw top on the reservoir could inhibit the venting of the reservoir by blocking the vent hole. This could possibly cause a back pressure on the reservoir (due to the venting of the larger bore end of the piston via the rear hole in the reservoir base) and push fluid past the pedal end seal when the pedal is pushed. These are merely opinions on my observations and may not be facts in operation.

Another leak source could be the joint between the brass inner sleeve and the machined aluminium block. The joint between the two is under constant pressure at the outlet end when in use and any leakage could track back along the joint between the two metals and appear at the pedal end (as if the rubber seal was leaking. I don't know if there is any sealing between the brass lining and the aluminium block ( dissimilar metals?) other than the pin that holds it in place or if it is just a flush/interference fit?

Again, just trying to come up with suggestions/observations to try and help.
Mike
Old 19th January 2015, 13:38   #382
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
One other point to note is that the solid rubber circular seal for the screw top on the reservoir could inhibit the venting of the reservoir by blocking the vent hole. This could possibly cause a back pressure on the reservoir (due to the venting of the larger bore end of the piston via the rear hole in the reservoir base) and push fluid past the pedal end seal when the pedal is pushed. These are merely opinions on my observations and may not be facts in operation.
I think that point has been raised before and I agree completely. Lack of proper and adequate air venting, will set up vacuum and pressure as the pedal is pressed, as also can variations in temperature.

Those complaining of leaks - do check the vent hole is clear.

It was one of the things I made a point of checking on installing mine and I still have no leakage.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 15:24   #383
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
do check the vent hole is clear.
It's not just the vent hole. It's the fact that a full disc rubber seal (as supplied) will itself form a seal over the vent hole when the cap is screwed onto it. A rubber rim seal would, in my opinion, be preferable. There may be a small amount of upward splash from the rear seal vent (the one nearest the pedal in the bottom of the reservoir), so a splash guard may be necessary. to avoid fluid loss (via the cap vent hole).
Mike
Old 20th January 2015, 14:04   #384
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post

Another leak source could be the joint between the brass inner sleeve and the machined aluminium block. The joint between the two is under constant pressure at the outlet end when in use and any leakage could track back along the joint between the two metals and appear at the pedal end (as if the rubber seal was leaking. I don't know if there is any sealing between the brass lining and the aluminium block ( dissimilar metals?) other than the pin that holds it in place or if it is just a flush/interference fit?

Mike
UPDATE.
I have disassembled the brass sleeve from the aluminium casing and it has a series of circular seals between points of possible leakage (ie the two ends, the delivery and vent holes) so that should eliminate any leaks from the joint between the aluminium and the brass- or will circular shaped seals resist full pedal pressure enough?
Mike

Last edited by roverbarmy; 20th January 2015 at 16:33..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 20:52   #385
First_damned
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi

Have the issues with this now been fully resolved?
First_damned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 09:36   #386
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

I've heard nothing to suggest otherwise and I'm still bleeding mine every week.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 09:52   #387
Woodsie
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Club CDT SE Saloon manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
I've heard nothing to suggest otherwise and I'm still bleeding mine every week.
Me too, except I do it every 3 weeks as I do not use the car much. By the way, mine was received with no seal or gasket under the resevoir cap and fluid seems to be escaping from this area. I have PM'd Andy about this but as yet have not heard from him.

Regards Rich
Woodsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 11:21   #388
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

I change the master,slave & clutch in the wifes in october last year, I fitted the full metal master & I have found it to be leaking last week so Andy has said he will send some new seals, so awaiting there arrival so I can get them changed over & hopefully that's it sorted for good.
Old 26th February 2015, 13:27   #389
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Mine's stopped leaking now.......

Because it's in a cardboard box of old spare and replaced parts in my workshop..

Replaced with a Tazu Mark 1.

Tom.
Old 26th February 2015, 13:41   #390
First_damned
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organiser View Post
Mine's stopped leaking now.......

Because it's in a cardboard box of old spare and replaced parts in my workshop..

Replaced with a Tazu Mark 1.

Tom.
I gave mine away, what a nightmare it was. The new seals make no difference too.

Luckily I was sent a replacement mk1 and I purchased a custom flexi hose, no problems ever since fitting it.

Last edited by First_damned; 26th February 2015 at 13:45..
First_damned is offline   Reply With Quote