Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th January 2019, 22:58   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Modern push button start cars

oh wow, push button. Had that on my motor bike 30 years ago.

Get home, no light about except star light, its pitch black and where are the effing car keys?
Not in my pockets, not in the door pockets not in the wife's pockets. GGGGRRRRRRRRR.

Use the light from a phone to search the car and after a few minutes, found them down the side of a seat next to centre console, never have this problem with good old ignition key start

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 28th January 2019 at 07:47.. Reason: star light not start light
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 05:59   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

Get home, no light about except start light, its pitch black and where are the effing car keys?
Not in my pockets, not in the door pockets not in the wife's pockets. GGGGRRRRRRRRR.

Use the light from a phone to search the car and after a few minutes, found them down the side of a seat next to centre console, never have this problem with good old ignition key start

macafee2

We have it on our Twintop and I quite like it. Flared trousers are also coming back in fashion!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 07:17   #3
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

Get home, no light about except start light, its pitch black and where are the effing car keys?

macafee2
Sounds like you need pockets with zips

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 09:41   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I've been driving a Nissan Qashqai and I hate it, one of many reasons is the push button start and no keys at all. Just a silly smart remote fob that you must leave in the car, but where do you leave it?

It just feels very odd not to have a physical key in the ignition, its too easy to lose the dam thing. My brain cannot recognise the fob is of importance, so your mind keeps wondering what, where, and how to start the dam car.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 10:05   #5
chillyphil
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

The wife has this push button system on her Citroen ds5.
I quite like it, but unsure about the security issued.

However, having an old Mark 1 brain, I have found myself on two occasions touching the door handle on the MG, and getting very annoyed when it wouldn't open!!!
chillyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 16:55   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

A workmate with a Renault with push button start had a problem, he was driving on the motorway when the fly by wire jammed in full throttle. He pulled over and the engine would not switch off as the message centre kept telling him to ''reduce revs before switching off engine''

After a couple of mins the engine destroyed it self as it was bouncing off the rev limiter, luckily the car was still under warranty and was towed away to the dealer, the car was returned within 48 hours with a new engine fitted, apparently ''this happens a lot'' so they keep engines in stock

This technology is great when it is working as it should but its like electric handbrakes complication for the sake of complication in my view.

You are very unlikely to see any modern cars still on the road in 25 years because of these gadgets but then this is probably the plan.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 17:15   #7
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

My wife has it on her Astra twintop, causes a bit of confusion when she takes the 75 to work occasionally.
I remember having a push start many years ago on a mini I had, it was a rubber covered button mounted in the centre tunnel on the floor.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 17:21   #8
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A workmate with a Renault with push button start had a problem, he was driving on the motorway when the fly by wire jammed in full throttle. He pulled over and the engine would not switch off as the message centre kept telling him to ''reduce revs before switching off engine''

After a couple of mins the engine destroyed it self as it was bouncing off the rev limiter, luckily the car was still under warranty and was towed away to the dealer, the car was returned within 48 hours with a new engine fitted, apparently ''this happens a lot'' so they keep engines in stock

This technology is great when it is working as it should but its like electric handbrakes complication for the sake of complication in my view.

You are very unlikely to see any modern cars still on the road in 25 years because of these gadgets but then this is probably the plan.
Spot on, it's like everyone is trying to re-invent the wheel ! and trying to boost sales of what is basically a boring car by loading it with gizmo's and gimmicks like ... push start, stop start, built in wifi, tyre pressure monitors, and so on.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 17:30   #9
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

People probably said that when the starting handle disappeared

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 17:34   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I have to say that LCD panels to replace all those nice twiddly buttons and switches is the worst thing to have happened to the motor car.

I hate the things, especially when people leave their grubby fingermarks on them.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote