Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th October 2021, 20:47   #131
hst125
Loves to post

2004 ZTT CDTi manual, 2017 Fiat 500L MPW, 1946 MG TC

For the last 30 years and more (I worked for Reading Buses - the last (?) remaining Council owned municipal bus operator), the then Chairman has been council Lead Officer for Transport recently, he and some of the upper admin staff all making decisions about traffic management, tearing up perfectly good roundabouts and putting in very undynamic traffic lights - lord don’t get me too wound up - what I meant to say was the key players in all this, have never held a driving licence.
I’m lucky I live just outside the Borough boundary and I rarely have to go there.
But I work in the dead centre of Oxford, on shifts providing public transport, and the new Oxford ULEZ threatens to make me walk the last mile to work.
We’ve just bought the wife a Euro 6 petrol motor so I guess she’ll have to start driving my Previa if it comes in too soon!
Not against the principle of LEZs but for gods sake give us a proper alternative - ie in cost, convenience and in the case of 24/7 shift workers - 24/7 buses….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26th October 2021, 21:05   #132
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
You are naughty Ravinder, he said " educated idiots" and education has never been a shield against idiocy. ChrisS.

I agree - but not being educated does not necessarily lead to wisdom!

Christopher - I think you have confused me with Ravinder, a handsome youg singh from the hills of Scotland. In contrast, I am Maninder - a grumpy old dog (according to the mrs) from Suffolk. I think young Ravinder would be most disappointed to find himself being confused with myself.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2021, 22:49   #133
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I am reminded of a Winston Churchill quote-
“I would rather argue with a hundred idiots than have one of them agree with me”
I would apply this statement to all the policy makers who have no idea of how they are actually going to implement their grand ideas.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2021, 09:29   #134
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst125 View Post

Not against the principle of LEZs but for gods sake give us a proper alternative - ie in cost, convenience and in the case of 24/7 shift workers - 24/7 buses….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. There needs to be proper investment in infrastructure and services. We've been going in the wrong direction for many years.
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2021, 15:05   #135
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I’ve just had a look and the charge is the same but different Euro emissions standards apply to petrol and Diesel engines. It’s all part of the master plan to force us to keep the automotive industry profitable by buying hybrid or electric vehicles.

As the OP says, the zone is being extended in London to the north and south circular roads. How long before other cities follow suit? Will London further extend to the M25 (rhetorical question)?

Simon
I do feel very sorry for those living and working within a stone's throw of those great mobile car parks around the metropolis. However, we regretfully elect these policy-making morons, or not, then sit back and watch them impose all kinds of rules and regulations which in the short term appear to be a good idea, but who knows?.

What is the projected income to London from the taxes proposed , annually and where is this money going to be spent?, health, road improvements, tackling climate change, other important social issues, or a new aircraft carrier?.

It's a tough decision and frankly unfair, if the government wants drivers to help improve the environment then they should incentivise us to purchase affordable electric cars, talk to the manufacturers.

Last edited by grivas; 1st November 2021 at 15:06.. Reason: spelling
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2021, 15:22   #136
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post

It's a tough decision and frankly unfair, if the government wants drivers to help improve the environment then they should incentivise us to purchase affordable electric cars, talk to the manufacturers.
Why should I and many others through the taxes that are imposed on us pay you, ie incentivise, more than no VED at present and no fuel duties at present together with the discounted price because it is an EV?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2021, 18:56   #137
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

With EV vehicles, when there is more EV vehicles on the roads there will be a tipping point when the govt will stop charging.fuel excise tax and start charging
as per how many miles you travel in the car.
In the end, we will all be paying the industrialists to build this brave new world.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2021, 23:24   #138
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I have a feeling that the “pay per mile scheme “ will be in addition to the tax on fuel, so that ICE vehicles will be paying both taxes !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2021, 15:13   #139
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Maninder I think Ive made the same mistake a couple of years ago-sorry old chap. its just years. I must try harder. same to Ravinder up "there" Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:50   #140
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
With EV vehicles, when there is more EV vehicles on the roads there will be a tipping point when the govt will stop charging.fuel excise tax and start charging
as per how many miles you travel in the car.
In the end, we will all be paying the industrialists to build this brave new world.

I think we'll be seeing road pricing sooner rather than later based on distance travelled as the government are looking at a £40billion shortfall from VED. https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/com...lop-scheme-now

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote