Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th June 2016, 15:34   #1
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Default Wonky suspension!

Hi all, my ZT 2.0 diesel has always in the 2 yrs I've had it, sat about 1" lower on the drivers front than the passenger front... measuring the gap between the top of the wheel and the arch...
I have just changed the springs to H&N, changed the shocks, drop links, tie rods inner and outer... and the car is still wonky...
Back wheels are OK, it just sits lower on the drivers front, and that's without anyone in it.
I'm pretty sure the car has never had any major damage, all panels etc are good fits, no traces of any welding etc in or under...
Does anyone else have the same lean? The car has always driven well, in a straight line, minimal tyre wear etc....
And the ground is level!
Any pointers very welcome thanks....
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 16:30   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Has your suspension, subframe or lower wishbone taken a hit??
Old 12th June 2016, 17:10   #3
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Hi Klarzy... absolutely nothing I can put my finger on, no damage visible on any area, inc wishbones....
Old 13th June 2016, 06:22   #4
tidus72
Avid contributor

MG6

I know this sounds obvious but are both front tyres the same size?
tidus72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 11:36   #5
Alanbp
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer Auto Diesel

Funnily enough I have the same thing on my CDT Tourer, at the back. The O/S sits an inch lower than the N/S. I investigated and the rear spring on the lower side was broken top AND bottom coil, so replaced with a new one. It still sits too low. A couple of weeks later I thought to check the other side and it was broken, but just one coil. Replaced that with a new spring, but from a different supplier and its still lop sided. I suppose using a non matching spring pair doesnt help find the cause and I cant be bothered getting matching pair. I will just wait for these to break which I am sure they will in the next couple of years!! Handling is fine. I only noticed it when it was in a super market car park and I was standing at the checkouts looking out the window at it!!
Alanbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 12:05   #6
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaandphil View Post
Hi all, my ZT 2.0 diesel has always in the 2 yrs I've had it, sat about 1" lower on the drivers front than the passenger front... measuring the gap between the top of the wheel and the arch...
I have just changed the springs to H&N, changed the shocks, drop links, tie rods inner and outer... and the car is still wonky...
Back wheels are OK, it just sits lower on the drivers front, and that's without anyone in it.
I'm pretty sure the car has never had any major damage, all panels etc are good fits, no traces of any welding etc in or under...
Does anyone else have the same lean? The car has always driven well, in a straight line, minimal tyre wear etc....
And the ground is level!
Any pointers very welcome thanks....
Are you sure the correct shocks/springs have been fitted ? - on my 75 , there is a different shock code for the nearside and offside at the front, to presumably compensate for different loading due to engine weight etc.

I notice the lower arms/rear bushes have not been changed - these might cause a difference in ride height from side to side, although I would think struts/springs are more likely as the culprit. Have you had the tracking checked recently ? - are there any camber issues, possibly due to bent struts (I have just had this issue on my car).

Final thought - has any work been done that involves disturbing the subframe (clutch change ?) - if the subframe has not been seated back properly on its mounts, this could cause the problem you describe.

A few idle thoughts- let us know how it goes.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 12:09   #7
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidus72 View Post
I know this sounds obvious but are both front tyres the same size?
Worthwhile point, I had a similar problem on rear of my Tourer, springs looked OK so swapped wheels over and problem moved over to the other side. Both tyres marked as same size but different makes and when measured, one was almost 1&1/2" greater in diameter.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 20:13   #8
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Hi all.... thanks for the feedback, I've moved on from the suspension issue, as I've now found the driver side drive shaft support bearing is shot! It feels like never ending problems... now waiting for a replacement from a breakers. Once this is fitted, I will put the suspension back together on the drivers side. I cannot find why the issue exists with the difference in height, tyres are the same, wishbones are in good condition, bushes are sound.... sub frame all mounted OK. When the car is back on the ground, I will take some measurements of all component heights etc and see if I can locate where the difference lies between each side... new shocks from DMGRS, H&N quality lowered springs, adjustable drop links... this car is a real labour of love, and I've never done car mechanics to this degree before, so it's a real learning curve...