Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th February 2015, 14:13   #1
burchy182
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 CDTI Contemporary BRG (2005)

Default Smoking from the exhaust

In need of a bit of advice guys. I've got an issue with my 2005 2.0 CDTI. Not had it that long and since buying it it tends to smoke a little too much for my liking. Not all the time, just randomly really. Sometimes it's when I'm travelling at 30 mph and sometimes when I'm travelling at 50 mph. I've spoken to the guy I bought it off and he insists that its not the head gasket.
I've checked the usual symptoms (oil looks fine, no loss of coolant, heaters work fine) so I'm at a loss. Is it the head gasket or something else? I have noticed that the temp gauge doesn't go above 1/4 for some reason.
I've used a rad sealant and a catalytic cleaner so far but nothing has changed.
Can anyone offer their ideas and thoughts please.
Thanks guys
burchy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 15:01   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

It almost definitely isn't the head gasket. A clogged EGR valve maybe? Hows the power? is it struggling? Have you changed the oil recently? A common low running temperature is the thermostat, usually cured by fitting the R5 stat in the top hose (do a search)
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 15:07   #3
Alan123
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Check inter cooler o rings for the smoke problem
Alan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 15:16   #4
burchy182
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
It almost definitely isn't the head gasket. A clogged EGR valve maybe? Hows the power? is it struggling? Have you changed the oil recently? A common low running temperature is the thermostat, usually cured by fitting the R5 stat in the top hose (do a search)
The power seems to be ok, not noticed anything untoward as far as that's concerned. As for the oil, it was changed in November by the previous owner.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:16   #5
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burchy182 View Post
In need of a bit of advice guys. I've got an issue with my 2005 2.0 CDTI. Not had it that long and since buying it it tends to smoke a little too much for my liking. Not all the time, just randomly really. Sometimes it's when I'm travelling at 30 mph and sometimes when I'm travelling at 50 mph. I've spoken to the guy I bought it off and he insists that its not the head gasket.
I've checked the usual symptoms (oil looks fine, no loss of coolant, heaters work fine) so I'm at a loss. Is it the head gasket or something else? I have noticed that the temp gauge doesn't go above 1/4 for some reason.
I've used a rad sealant and a catalytic cleaner so far but nothing has changed.
Can anyone offer their ideas and thoughts please.
Thanks guys
As yours is a diesel, it will definitely not be headgasket failure as the engines are pretty solid. I think I've only heard of 1 HGF in the two years or so I've been on here.

Things to check for the smoke will be:
1. Intercooler O-rings at the bottom of the intercooler hose as mentioned above. Also check that your intercooler hose isn't split.
2. Blocked EGR Value, this can cause it to stick as a lot of black gunk gets stuck in there. I think a blocked EGR can damage your turbo. Can replace for a EGR bypass.
3. MAF sensor, might be worth unplugging the MAF to see if it makes a difference.
4. PCV Valve/ Crankcase Breather filter - may be worth changing this as it is a serviceable item which is often missed. A blocked filter may cause excess smoke I'm not sure but one clear symptom is if oil is being pushed out the dipstick slot.

Those would be my main pointers. All can be searched on this forum, plenty of info on them here.

Also, in regards to your engine temp not getting past 1/4 mark, this will be due to a stuck thermostat which is a common issue. Thermostat gets stuck in open position. This can be fixed with the inline thermostat mod which is also documented on this forum in detail

Lastly, make sure you have checked your plenums on your cdti to make sure they are clear, as the ECU is located in the plenum on the passenger side and can get flooded if the plenums are blocked. Quite an expensive fix if that happens.
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 15:21   #6
burchy182
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
As yours is a diesel, it will definitely not be headgasket failure as the engines are pretty solid. I think I've only heard of 1 HGF in the two years or so I've been on here.

Things to check for the smoke will be:
1. Intercooler O-rings at the bottom of the intercooler hose as mentioned above. Also check that your intercooler hose isn't split.
2. Blocked EGR Value, this can cause it to stick as a lot of black gunk gets stuck in there. I think a blocked EGR can damage your turbo. Can replace for a EGR bypass.
3. MAF sensor, might be worth unplugging the MAF to see if it makes a difference.
4. PCV Valve/ Crankcase Breather filter - may be worth changing this as it is a serviceable item which is often missed. A blocked filter may cause excess smoke I'm not sure but one clear symptom is if oil is being pushed out the dipstick slot.

Those would be my main pointers. All can be searched on this forum, plenty of info on them here.

Also, in regards to your engine temp not getting past 1/4 mark, this will be due to a stuck thermostat which is a common issue. Thermostat gets stuck in open position. This can be fixed with the inline thermostat mod which is also documented on this forum in detail

Lastly, make sure you have checked your plenums on your cdti to make sure they are clear, as the ECU is located in the plenum on the passenger side and can get flooded if the plenums are blocked. Quite an expensive fix if that happens.
Rick
Thanks for all that advice Rick, plenty there to keep me going for a while. Appreciate your help
Old 24th February 2015, 15:25   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burchy182 View Post
Thanks for all that advice Rick, plenty there to keep me going for a while. Appreciate your help
your welcome
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 17:36   #8
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

When you say "smokes" what is the colour black/blue/grey-White ?

Each colour could help to identify the issue

Regards mick
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 18:08   #9
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

By the time the air gets to the EGR it has passed the turbo so wont damage that, the most likely cause of smoke is a blocked PCV filter.

Overfuelling causes Black smoke, so The MAF may be faulty, unplug it as a test.

I had both "O" rings blown into the base of the pipe on my car, but it didn't smoke or lose much power...

Give your car a good blast in 3rd gear doing 70 mph to clear out all/any build up of gunge... It's called a Mexican tune up..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 18:24   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Lots of little jobs to do to get a CDTi running as it was designed to do.

1. EGR clean out and maybe disable/bypass.

2. CDTI worn thermostat's open too early, replace with OEM or put an extra one in the top hose.

3. Clear out the plenum and make sure it stays clear, or it may wreck your week.

4. PCV filter choked up, could wreck your turbo.

5. All of the above could cause smoke, but usually the MAF will have failed too. Unplugging it might help prove it, but best if it has failed to replace it. Don't be fooled by the many fakes, copies and etc.. read up (see below) and buy one from the MAF-shop in Berlin, the only known source of the genuine item.

6 Do the viton o ring replacement at the intercooler.

7. The Intercooler to EGR pipe is known to become soft and porous and even split - worth replacing.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote