Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd September 2014, 18:14   #1
SirRustalot
Gets stuck in

Box of ales and some cheap sunglasses

Default Any advice on contesting a speeding fine?

Generally, I never speed. I was on my motorcycle on a road I know well and apparently got snapped by a 50mph camera in an area tha drops from 70-50-70 all within about 300 yards on a busy stretch of motorway. Now, I always drop my speed to at least 10mph below the limit when I approach these things 'cos I don't trust them and I'm absolutely positive I wasn't speeding since I slow right down approaching cameras without thinking. To add to that, I had a satnav/camera thing on my tank that flashes when I approach cameras. I remember it all well.

Anyway, they say I was doing 60mph but I highly doubt it. It was a crystal clear, dry day and I was just ambling down the road.

I plan to contest it but having never been done for speeding before, I'm unsure where to start. What's the worst that can happen if I contest it and they decide to prosecute me anyway? The cash fine is outrageous (£100) and I've had a clean licence for ever. Point of note: this particular camera on the A90 near Laurencekirk is infamous for raking in something like 300 drivers a day in fines. I feel there's tomfoolery afoot.

Any thoughts? I'd prefer this from people who have managed to save their cash and licence or from those who have actually gone through the process in any shape or form. Thanks.

Last edited by SirRustalot; 22nd September 2014 at 22:56..
SirRustalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:30   #2
Rocky1162
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRustalot View Post
Generally, I never speed. I was on my motorcycle on a road I know well and apparently got snapped by a 50mph camera in an area tha drops from 70-50-70 all within about 300 yards on a busy stretch of motorway. Now, I always drop my speed to at least 10mph below the limit when I approach these things 'cos I don't trust them and I'm absolutely positive I wasn't speeding since I do it without thinking. To add to that, I had a satnav/camera thing on my tank that flashes when I approach cameras. I remember it all well.

Anyway, they say I was doing 60mph but I highly doubt it. It was a crystal clear, dry day and I was just ambling down the road.

I plan to contest it but having never been done for speeding before, I'm unsure where to start. What's the worst that can happen if I contest it and they decide to prosecute me anyway? The cash fine is outrageous (£100) and I've had a clean licence for ever. Point of note: this particular camera on the A90 near Laurencekirk is infamous for raking in something like 300 drivers a day in fines. I feel there's tomfoolery afoot.

Any thoughts? I'd prefer this from people who have managed to save their cash and licence or from those who have actually gone through the process in any shape or form. Thanks.
Hi.

It all depends on your licence , and how many points that you already have. However, if you just ignore this, the chances are that they will not pursue it. Police Scotland have the highest SP rate in the UK, and since they streamlined it to Police Scotland, it all happens out of one office. Something like 50 to 60 % are not pursued as they simply cannot spare the staff. If you are one of the unlucky ones, all that will happen is that you will get a letter from the PF, asking you why you never paid, and giving you 10 days to pay. It is usually up to the PF, they could give you an extra point for being late, but again they do not want the paperwork. If you are sitting on no points, or only three points, then I would let it slide, and see what happens. But that is me, what you decide to do is up to you. But my figures are accurate. R
Rocky1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:45   #3
SirRustalot
Gets stuck in

Box of ales and some cheap sunglasses

Never had a point. I''ve got a clean licence and not on any police radar etc. I'm a good citizen.

Interesting advice. I think I'm most definitely contesting it so will wait until the PF letter.
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:54   #4
Rocky1162
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRustalot View Post
Never had a point. I''ve got a clean licence and not on any police radar etc. I'm a good citizen.

Interesting advice. I think I'm most definitely contesting it so will wait until the PF letter.
I was driving down to Edinburgh late one night a few months ago, and I heard this on Radio Scotland, there was a Police Officer, A Lawyer, a Guy from the AA, and they were lambasting Police Scotland for targeting the motorist. Police Scotland also have 70% more fines than the rest of the UK, and have been heavily criticised in the press and media. As of May 2014, they had already doubled their fines on the complete whole of 2013. Thing is, it only becomes a fine when you produce your licence, and pay the money at your local sherriff court, and if it goes the other way, then "Oh dear, my apologies I completely forgot". They are hardly going to haul you away Capone, lol.
I wish you luck. R
Rocky1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:55   #5
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Awarenes course is your best bet..
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:13   #6
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

This is your best place ... fight back
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:23   #7
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Surely they will have photographic evidence to back up their claim? Your case will depend on them not. I did a Speed Awareness course (the first time) but it wasn't offered the second time, maybe because I was 'snapped' 10mph over the limit. I found the Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) impossible to ignore, it was time sensitive.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:30   #8
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddycdt View Post
I did a Speed Awareness course (the first time) but it wasn't offered the second time, maybe because I was 'snapped' 10mph over the limit.
I don't think it's ever offered a second time, is it? It's a one-off. They evidently have you down now as an incorrigible repeat offender .
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:34   #9
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2R View Post
I don't think it's ever offered a second time, is it? It's a one-off. They evidently have you down now as an incorrigible repeat offender .
More than likely, it's not as if the slate is wiped, just no action taken regarding a fine and points.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 19:37   #10
whitevanman
This is my second home

2001 Connie SE CDT, 2002 2.0Petrol Laguna SportHatch

Pretty sure it was every 3 years for the speed awareness course when I did one..

Car: Connie SE CDT Manual, Mods: O-Rings, Silicon intercooler hose, Stainless EGR Bypass, BMW PCV Mod, 160 Upgrade, DD Unit, Projector Headlights, Powerflex Bottom Mount, Remote Clutch reservoir, SS Compensator; Inline Stat To Come: cat gut (when replacing iffy section). Meteors after refurb..
whitevanman is offline   Reply With Quote