Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd October 2021, 20:27   #11
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I would agree with you Andy if you had written "... removed, inspected and tested ..." but no-one, except me, has done that. Having then discovered that the housing seam has not, in fact, split, who has had the confidence to refit it using just new 'O' rings? Again, no-one except me. In addition to doing this several times with my own car I've recently done it successfully with another member's car too. So I believe that I CAN say that the housing won't be leaking because it's well known that the cause is the flattening of the 'O' rings.

Regarding your other suggestion of a "break in the plastics", as Billy rightly says this can happen on removal of the old parts until the right technique is discovered to avoid it. The risk is also increased using the "keyhole" method so, if asked, I would always recommend removing the manifold chamber and one inlet manifold for full, unimpeded access and visibilty. Unfortunately such breakages can be incorrectly attributed to failure in service when they have, in fact, occurred during the removal process.

Have a good day Andy.

Simon
Simon
There is no need to have a poke at Andy on this as most members on here know how to do the thermostat via the keyhole method and just change all the parts at the same time while you are in there

For me it is quite simple Simon get all new parts for the thermostat 1.5 hours later job done no worries and constantly checking for leaks
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 06:59   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
Simon
There is no need to have a poke at Andy ....
I see no "poke" in my reply to Andy Dave. It is a polite and helpful explanation to all readers based on my extensive and detailed practical experience in this area. It's for the benefit of those of us wishing to maintain our cars without spending money on unnecessary replacement parts. You are perfectly at liberty to do it the "garage" way Dave.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 4th October 2021 at 07:08..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 17:04   #13
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
........ In addition to doing this several times with my own car I've recently done it successfully with another member's car too. So I believe that I CAN say that the housing won't be leaking because it's well known that the cause is the flattening of the 'O' rings......
Quote:
..... It is a polite and helpful explanation to all readers based on my extensive and detailed practical experience in this area.. ...
I note that the “extensive and detailed practical experience in this area” is on your own car and one other.

Bearing in mind that there are thousands of V6s out there, I do not think that assumptions based on 2 cars can prove anything.
In fact, it is a meaningless sample.

The truth is that there is significant evidence of thermostat housing failure.
This forum, alone, has regular threads on the matter, often documented by people that do have extensive experience.

However, I am very pleased for you Simon that, in your case, the problem was only the ‘O’ rings.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 08:55   #14
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
The truth is that there is significant evidence of thermostat housing failure.
Could you provide links to some of this please Bob? I have not seen any.

The truth is that commonly, members observe encrusted antifreeze residue and reach a hurried conclusion that the housing has split. They then renew all three plastic components as Dave Lincs has confirmed is his practice. This is not "significant evidence" that the housing has failed. It is an assumption without the proof of a bench leakage test (which I have done).

Billy. the OP, says he has bought both a set of new 'O' rings and a full kit of replacement plastic parts. Unfortunately his intention to use the "keyhole" method increases the risk of breakage during removal which then perpetuates the myth that the housing seam leaks, the curved pipe breaks or the straight pipe splits.

Simon
Old 5th October 2021, 12:01   #15
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

For me it is quite simple Simon i cannot be bothered to mince about and do the job twice if the O rings dont cure it, i have seen lots of the split in half and have no reason to put picture of broken ones on here as it seems pointless i can change all the parts in 1.5 hours and know it will cure it and have never had one return with a problem

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 15:58   #16
ricardo65
This is my second home

mgzt cdti 160.mgzt 1.8t mg6 1.8t

Thanked 1,652 Times in 969 Posts

Concur with you on this one Dave as I've been with you when you've changed these on members cars you made it look so simple so why mince about do the job once and do it right

Sent from my VFD 730 using Tapatalk

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213906
ricardo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 20:12   #17
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

Simon, if it is such a reliable repair may i ask why you have had to do it several times on your own car?
Of the v6's i have owned only one has let go, it was replaced and never caused a problem again. Far more cost and time effective to repair once and repair correctly in my opinion unless, of course, you enjoy stripping things down on numerous occasions in which case fair enough, that is your choice.

Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2021, 08:11   #18
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssizefive View Post
Simon, if it is such a reliable repair may i ask why you have had to do it several times on your own car?
It was the investigative process Steve. I had determined the very first time that the 'O' rings were the problem but I didn't know why. I could see that they were flattening but I wanted to find out the reason. I experimented with various things including a different material and a marginally larger size, hence doing the job several times on my own car but I have not had to do it again since positioning the serrated clips properly. This is all that is necessary. Renewing all the plastic parts is a waste of time and money if the clips are ignored.

Thanks for your question Steve.

Simon
Old 10th October 2021, 12:48   #19
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

I've taken the old thermostat out - the person before me had to file something down on the curved pipe so it could mate with the thermostat housing where the bolt passes through both pieces. There were no clips on the straight pipe. Where exactly do these clips go? Cheers
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2021, 13:20   #20
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
I've taken the old thermostat out - the person before me had to file something down on the curved pipe so it could mate with the thermostat housing where the bolt passes through both pieces. There were no clips on the straight pipe. Where exactly do these clips go? Cheers
Clips fit at either end of the straight pipe, pushed as far apart as possible

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote