Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd October 2021, 17:34   #1
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default New Locking Wheel Nut Covers

My car doesn't have any locking wheel nuts (just one nut of a different size as if that would stop anyone with a socket set) so I was thinking of getting a set from Rimmer Bros. like this: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-XPT000175ACA

I'd rather they had covers on them to match the other nuts but since they're round I can't find any generic covers that would fit - does anyone know of a solution to this problem?
JefferiesFarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 08:50   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Hector, 'fraid I can only suggest a thorough search through the eBay listings for wheel bolt covers. However, the usual advice from the forum is to replace existing security bolts with standard bolts. Rover 75 wheels are hardly worth pinching nowadays and these bolts can be more trouble than they're worth. The ones you show are McGard type and one of the worst to remove if (when) they get overtightened. The rotating collar around the heads make them almost impossible to remove using DIY methods. The flower-shaped key is a weak point in the design and they often get distorted. There are a dozen or more variants, so replacement is a chore. The last time I looked at it, you had to get a new key from McGard, Germany.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 18:34   #3
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Hello Hector, 'fraid I can only suggest a thorough search through the eBay listings for wheel bolt covers. However, the usual advice from the forum is to replace existing security bolts with standard bolts. Rover 75 wheels are hardly worth pinching nowadays and these bolts can be more trouble than they're worth. The ones you show are McGard type and one of the worst to remove if (when) they get overtightened. The rotating collar around the heads make them almost impossible to remove using DIY methods. The flower-shaped key is a weak point in the design and they often get distorted. There are a dozen or more variants, so replacement is a chore. The last time I looked at it, you had to get a new key from McGard, Germany.

TC

Thank you for your reply T-Cut. You speak sense, I felt I'd like to have some locking wheel nuts as it feels more 'proper' but I think you're right, the black market for Rover 75 wheels must be quite slim! It would probably be difficult to find any caps that would adequately match the other nuts too - you've helped me make up my mind!
JefferiesFarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 19:41   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I had a set of original covers which were fitted to early cars along with the lock nuts, gave them away As TC says, fit normal bolts, save yourself the hassle in the future.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 19:47   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I had McGard security bolts on a Volvo and would never entertain them again. As T-Cut says the keys are all too easily damaged and a PITA to replace.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2021, 21:19   #6
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

It's more for the tyres that any theft would occur but you rarely hear of it these days & l don't think there's much chance of it unless you have really expensive boots fitted.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote