Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th November 2020, 14:11   #11
chillyphil
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Its quite feasible to partially take off the bumper, done it a couple of times.

Pull out the Sides from the Wing ( put some masking tape on the wing to protect the paint.

then remove all the top bumper fixings, and pull it forward to get better access and leave it at an angle supporting it with something .

makes it easier to put back too ..

C
Thanks for that Chris,

Should save time and hassle, can you tell us where you put the masking tape, is it on the side of the wing or bumper sides, or under the bumper, not quite sure what you meant.

Phil
chillyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2020, 14:33   #12
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyphil View Post
Thanks for that Chris,

Should save time and hassle, can you tell us where you put the masking tape, is it on the side of the wing or bumper sides, or under the bumper, not quite sure what you meant.

Phil

I would suggest he means taping the wing although if you have a person either side you can carefully allow the bumper to rotate forwards holding it away from the wings.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2020, 18:30   #13
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Ah really? All the v8s I've had the front ends off for headlight upgrades I've never noticed that. Thinking about it I think I remember the washer bottle neck being in the way of the access panel in the wheel arch.

If you're going through the headache of taking the bumper off personally I would swap the headlights out for some factory xenons, as the factory d2s burners last a lot longer than halogen bulbs about 95% of the xenons i work on still have the factory burners fitted to them.
Is it a like-for-like replacement? Namely unplug one, plug-in t'other, fit switch. Or will a t4 session be required along with a different switch-pack.
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2020, 19:16   #14
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
Is it a like-for-like replacement? Namely unplug one, plug-in t'other, fit switch. Or will a t4 session be required along with a different switch-pack.
Factory xenons are plug and play, no T4 or owt Did mine years ago
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2020, 22:34   #15
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Headlights from halogen to xenon is a straight swap plug and play. Only need to swap the headlights, no need to change the lsm or anything else..
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 07:44   #16
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Not just Rover, of course.
Just changed a bulb on the wife's Giulietta. Even with my girlie-sized hands no way to do it on the car. Loosen wheel arch liner, loosen top of bumper and peel away from body. Unbolt and remove headlight. On my old 600 changing a bulb was a 10 minute job in a car-park.
An oil change on the Giullieta involves removing the undertray which has 21 individual fixings securing it to the car. Takes more than twice as long as either the TF or ZT.
skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 11:08   #17
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
12v DC is not going to do anything unless you're holding a spanner. Then it can get very interesting lol I guess that's what you meant lol

You might think that, and 99.9% of the time you'd be right. but does depend on the person and their skin and the max deliverable current from the voltage source. It can sting!

I don't see any way that the either of the headlamp dipped bulbs can be changed without using the hatch in the wheel arch, so if it wasn't there It would need the bumper and light removal.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 19:16   #18
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

About ten years ago, of an evening when a light drizzle was the air, I went to my local Halfords. I parked next to a car with a French registration. As I entered the store a man in his early fifties left. I trolled around the store for about fifteen minutes, bought something or other and left. The French car had it's bonnet up and sprawled across the engine was the driver, the self-same man who left the store around fifteen minutes earlier. Dead, very. Damp night, metal zip, exposed battery terminals . . .
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 20:20   #19
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
About ten years ago, of an evening when a light drizzle was the air, I went to my local Halfords. I parked next to a car with a French registration. As I entered the store a man in his early fifties left. I trolled around the store for about fifteen minutes, bought something or other and left. The French car had it's bonnet up and sprawled across the engine was the driver, the self-same man who left the store around fifteen minutes earlier. Dead, very. Damp night, metal zip, exposed battery terminals . . .
Very interesting. Surely was a horrific experience for you. I'd be very surprised if that was due to 12v DC directly. I've inadvertently shorted a battery with a spanner and the welding sparks pretty much scared me to death, but 12v isn't enough to electrocute. I did meet a guy once who shorted around 9000v with a spanner which left him with one arm that was about eight inches long but still alive. It was the current that fried his arm which is a function of voltage and resistance. He was certainly lucky not to be electrocuted. But 12v, there would have to be something else going on there.
Of course, I'm prepared to be proven wrong. Interested in any and all comments.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2020, 21:56   #20
chillyphil
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

Isn't it the amps that kill you?
chillyphil is offline   Reply With Quote