Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th March 2019, 05:27   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Dogs moulting

Charlie, our border collie, has suddenly begun a couple of weeks ago moulting masses of fur. I'm having to vac twice a day to control it. Its coming away in clumps, but I have never noticed come away quite like this before.

He always sheds some fur year round, but refuses to let you brush him - he just runs and hides as soon as he spots a brush. I'm having best success, just grabbing hand-fulls of fur and tugging the lose away. Usually his fur seems to just built up into tangled clumps, needing scissors to sort out.

He is not going bald, anywhere. One recent thing I have added to his diet, which might be the cause, is cod liver oil which is supposed to help with joints. He getting a bit arthritic at his back end and the cod liver oil seems to be helping a lot. I'm wondering if the oil might be making it easier for him to shed his coat?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 05:37   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Sounds like he had an issue of some sort if his coat was matting as you say it was. Could well be the cod liver oil if giving him a more “normal” coat.

I’d be tempted to carry on as you are.

Also sounds like he may be sore if he doesn’t like the brush.

This could indicate he is not getting something he needs in his diet - maybe the cod liver oil will sort it
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 06:07   #3
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post

Also sounds like he may be sore if he doesn’t like the brush.

No, he is not sore, he's just 'a bloke' he doesn't want to be ponced up. He has always been the same. His outer coat seems to be staying put, just what seems to be his undercoat coming away in great hand fulls.

Both dogs used to sleep on the stair landing, but because of his weakening back end, I told him to stay down stairs - and he did ever since. First thing on a morning, the carpet downstairs has been covered with fur. Yesterday I spent an hour pulling a waste basket full of fur off him and there is not much on the carpet this morning at all.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 8th March 2019 at 06:25..
Old 8th March 2019, 08:52   #4
chillyphil
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

Hi,

The two key things which affect shedding are:

1. Hours of daylight(as the days lengthen they shed their coat)

2. Stress, no one really knows why, but dogs shed their coat when they get anxious.

I would guess, looking at his aversion to brushing that it is a combination of both.

I would suggest finding a local behaviourist to give you some advice in how to deal with it. (make sure they are properly qualified), one or two sessions can be a great help.

Phil
chillyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2019, 10:02   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyphil View Post
Hi,

The two key things which affect shedding are:

1. Hours of daylight(as the days lengthen they shed their coat)

2. Stress, no one really knows why, but dogs shed their coat when they get anxious.

I would guess, looking at his aversion to brushing that it is a combination of both.

I would suggest finding a local behaviourist to give you some advice in how to deal with it. (make sure they are properly qualified), one or two sessions can be a great help.

Phil

I thought, as it coincided with the sudden warm weather, the warm weather might have perhaps triggered it? With maybe the cod liver oil encouraging it to come away, rather than matt up, as it usually does, to the point where I have to cut it away.

Stressed he is not - he is unbelievably laid back and calm.

Jean is away at the moment and the fur loss began before she left. He does normally mope and sulk when she is away, but this time - nothing.

His smaller step sister has the same problem with matting fur, despite her loving being brushed. She is hyper and highly strung, but is not losing fur. Generally she never has, apart from the constant fur loss.