Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th October 2016, 19:45   #11
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmella View Post
But why post at all if you're not going to help?
I did..... as far as I can see pulling the gear selector knob off will do nothing at all to help solve your problem....... that's what I said was it not??
Old 27th October 2016, 20:15   #12
Frogmella
Loves to post

2003 (03) Pre-Facelift 1.8 Club SE Auto Petrol Non Turbo Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
I did..... as far as I can see pulling the gear selector knob off will do nothing at all to help solve your problem....... that's what I said was it not??
Quite so. I am sure all your prospective customers are suitably impressed.
Frogmella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 20:25   #13
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Quite so. I am sure all your prospective customers are suitably impressed.
by the ammount i have, i am sure they allready are..
Old 27th October 2016, 21:22   #14
Bigcul1
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Con SE

Girls girls, let's get back on topic eh? Can anyone add some help to the OP? If not belt up.
Bigcul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 21:46   #15
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcul1 View Post
Girls girls, let's get back on topic eh? Can anyone add some help to the OP? If not belt up.
not a girl.... Tried to help the op by not going down a pointless path when the issue is electrical in all probabilities but was rebuffed...
try seeing if 12v is actually getting to any of the kit that is not working, of not check the headers, plugs and feeds. If it is then check the grounds...
Old 27th October 2016, 23:23   #16
daznkel
Posted a thing or two

04 MG ZT+ 190 XPG & 99 (T) Dealer Launch 75 V6 Connie Auto

Oh, how things can go so pear shaped, so quickly is beyond me!

Anyhow, back on topic.....

It seems you may have a couple of demons at work here.

As already pointed out, you should have an indication of the selected gear, both on the display next to the selector and on the instrument pack (IPK).
Since the IPK is giving you the correct info regarding the gear selection, we can rule out the selector switch itself.

As the IPK is indicating the correct gear, the gear selection indicator, regardless of gear selection, should just work, as all this does, is replicate the information provided by the selector switch, by switching the appropriate led on.

Problem 1 seems to be a failed gear selection indicator or wiring....

Now this leaves the problem of no reverse lamps.

Well, if fuse 4 (Engine bay fuse box, which will be fine) and fuse 23 (Passenger fuse box, tested fine by OP) are in tact (maybe worth trying fuse 41 on earlier models also), then the only option other than broken/damaged wiring would be the reverse relay itself.

Upgrades/Mods so far:
Custom Angel Eye DRL's, MG7 Rear lights, Custom Door Cards, MGR Plates, Red Alcantara Seats, Black Oak Dash, Powerflex bushes, Plenum Spy Mod, Rear Light Seals, 5000K HID Kit, Navall 3 DD, Blue LED Conversion, Custom badges, Union badges, Flip key. Working on more!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
daznkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 11:31   #17
Frogmella
Loves to post

I am certain the reversing lights have never worked during my ownership, but I believe I did initally have the selected gear lights and that they may have failed at the time I was investigating a non-functioning cigar lighter. Specifically, when I replaced the blown cigar lighter fuse and tested it. (it was back then that I checked the reversing light fuse)

On checking that 12v was getting to the cigar lighter connector plug (it was) I found that a 3 other ground wires (black) had been spliced on to the cigar lighter's ground wire and taped up. These connections looked sound and were quite neatly done so I just replaced the insulating tape.

Wiring1.jpg

Wiring2.jpg

I don't know what circuits these spliced ground wires belong to. Is this a possible/likely cause of my problems?

As you will have gathered I am no kind of electrician. I'm not overly bothered about the selected gear lights but reversing lights would be helpful now the nights are drawing in. I'll recheck the fuses mentioned.
Old 28th October 2016, 12:35   #18
Frogmella
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
not a girl.... Tried to help the op by not going down a pointless path when the issue is electrical in all probabilities but was rebuffed...
try seeing if 12v is actually getting to any of the kit that is not working, of not check the headers, plugs and feeds. If it is then check the grounds...
I apologise for making you feel your effort to assist was being rebuffed. That was not my intention, but on re-reading my posts I recognise that I should not have responded the way I did. My frustration at the continuing problems got the better of me. I am very grateful to all those, including your goodself, that take time to respond.

My intention, in attempting to remove the gear knob was to enable access to the wiring connectors beneath the gear selector assembly in order to check if current was being supplied down there. I am no longer pursuing that approach in light of your comments.

My electrical experience is very limited but I will try to gather more information.
Old 28th October 2016, 15:17   #19
Frogmella
Loves to post

Firstly some more humble pie. I checked fuse 23 again and it was missing. I can only assume that I didn't reseat it properly when I checked it while looking at the cigar lighter and it has since fallen out (working under there makes my specs slip away from my eyes and I lose focus). No sign of it floating about though. I replaced it (properly this time) with one of the spares and found that the gear selection indicator lights now work again.

I checked all the other fuse locations in case I had put it back in the wrong place but they were all correct.

Checked fuse 41, it is not present and there is no retaining spring connector in the fusebox at that location to facilitate fitting one, so any attempt to fit one of the spares justs fall straight out.

I also checked fuse 4 in the engine bay and it too is OK.

I now have gear selected lights but still no reversing lights.
Old 28th October 2016, 15:23   #20
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
I apologise for making you feel your effort to assist was being rebuffed. That was not my intention, but on re-reading my posts I recognise that I should not have responded the way I did. My frustration at the continuing problems got the better of me. I am very grateful to all those, including your goodself, that take time to respond.

My intention, in attempting to remove the gear knob was to enable access to the wiring connectors beneath the gear selector assembly in order to check if current was being supplied down there. I am no longer pursuing that approach in light of your comments.

My electrical experience is very limited but I will try to gather more information.
Firstly thank you for the above3 response...

For future reference you can access the connectors to the switches and selector display by just pulling up the triangular plate, there is plenty of room to access the wires below.
Glad you got to the bottom of it though...