Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th August 2016, 10:10   #11
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircub View Post
Do you have the same problems for Android 6 as you do for 5.1.? Is it worth waiting a little longer for 6 as I have read on other forums that Andorid 6 is a much better operating system, and 5 was a dogs breakfast...
Hi Karl, Android 5.0.1 was rubbish on my Nexus 5, battery drain was the biggest for me, however that would be voided on a Navall.
I can`t remember the other issues but a search of Nexus 5 and the op/sys 5.1 might throw up some info if you are inclined to look.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 21:27   #12
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

Hi Guys

Looks as if I missed one update completely, as I'm on Android 4.2.2, and you are discussing 5.1 going to 6.

If this is the case can I go straight to 6, and miss out 5.1, or am I better off staying as I am.

Whilst I'm posting I would like to add that I find service from Sean (Radioguy), very good. That other guy, down Clacton way ain't bad either.

Any advice on the above very welcome,

trimani (ALF)
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 22:05   #13
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Default Udates to nav 3

Has anyone actually used the Navall 3 navigation system to get them somewhere they don't already know the way to? On holiday in the north east of England last week, I had to revert to my old Tom Tom, because spoken instructions were far too late. Occasionally I would be just passing a junction when the nice lady would say "Turn right" argh!! Too late!! The visual instructions I think might be there on the screen, but I find its better to keep my eyes on the road, rather than watch a little map down there on the dash.
Somewhere in the navigation menu there is a "advance warning" setting, and UN-TICKING the box seemed to give a little more warning, but still nowhere near enough (or reliably enough) to be able to approach a roundabout in the correct lane.
Has anyone else had this problem? Or better still even found a way to resolve it?
I think my map might be out of date, but there doesn't seem to be much point updating if it doesn't work anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Polly; 7th August 2016 at 22:08..
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 06:17   #14
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Has anyone actually used the Navall 3 navigation system to get them somewhere they don't already know the way to? On holiday in the north east of England last week, I had to revert to my old Tom Tom, because spoken instructions were far too late. Occasionally I would be just passing a junction when the nice lady would say "Turn right" argh!! Too late!! The visual instructions I think might be there on the screen, but I find its better to keep my eyes on the road, rather than watch a little map down there on the dash.
Somewhere in the navigation menu there is a "advance warning" setting, and UN-TICKING the box seemed to give a little more warning, but still nowhere near enough (or reliably enough) to be able to approach a roundabout in the correct lane.
Has anyone else had this problem? Or better still even found a way to resolve it?
I think my map might be out of date, but there doesn't seem to be much point updating if it doesn't work anyway.

I don`t use mine because I hardly go anywhere (sad man ) but when I had it on the bench I saw some settings for how far from turns Etc that the voice instructions gave you.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 07:27   #15
aircub
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT Cdti 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
I don`t use mine because I hardly go anywhere (sad man ) but when I had it on the bench I saw some settings for how far from turns Etc that the voice instructions gave you.
Ken.
I dont use the onboard nav as I had the same problems so switched to Tomtom for Android. This is what the Nav should be excellent instructions, realistic voices including street names and the added benefit of live traffic via my tethered phone data.

Last edited by aircub; 8th August 2016 at 08:03..
aircub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 07:50   #16
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post

I use mine all the time but I do find the voice can go into slow mode after a few hours, it is like she is telling me slowly because I don't have a good grasp of English, if I leave it like this she either stops talking altogether or crashes and then restarts in normal speak mode. She gives me enough warning of turnings etc but I have an APP on my phone that does the same, tells you to turn just as you pass the turning. On my recent trip to Aberdeen ( 8 hours ) I actually switched the sound off because I found the constant warning of speed cameras and the like was getting on my wick especially as I was not speeding.

Why does she call an A road and I road?

Overall I am very happy with the unit, the backup is first class. Yes I could have saved a few £'s and bought a unit off the bay but I would have been on my own as far as setting it up and I am of a generation that I just want it to work out of the box. I am not really that bothered about an update, it will probably mean I have to learn how to use the unit again. I updated my mobile phone and that took me weeks before I understood it again, Technology should be our slave and we should not be a slave to our technology.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 08:08   #17
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

I've been using Igo8 first on the two WinCe units I've had and then Igo Primo on the Navall1, Navall3 and Star and never had any problems having been all over the U.K and large parts of Europe .
Not got lost yet

I do however use the natural voices rather than the robotic ones and haven't had any problems with late announcements of turns etc

Having said that, as has been mentioned, it's an android unit and there are many other navigations programs available for download which may suit peeps better
Old 8th August 2016, 08:48   #18
MikeJohn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

I was getting frustrated with the standard Text-To-Speech (TTS) pronunciation of "A" as "I" and also the intermittent slurring and slow voices so did quite a lot of experiments to try and determine what was going on.

One option as Jeff says is to use the "Natural" voices - that uses voices built in to IGO rather than the Pico TTS engine which comes pre-installed. My belief here is that even though IGO includes lots of TTS voices, when it is running on Android they are not used and it uses whatever TTS engine is installed in Android. (Jeff can probably confirm that). Personally I wanted the TTS as that gives road names being read out.

Anyway I tried several alternative TTS engines - some free and some paid for and personally I found "Vocalizer" the best. The difference is astounding - a voice costs the grand sum of £3.17, but you get a month free trial per voice so you can experiment before buying.

With that installed "A" gets pronounced properly, no more slurring, and no crashes in IGO - and you get spoken street names.

(Edit to add notes below)

As for camera/speed warnings you can turn them all off in IGO settings. Editing the sys.txt file is the most reliable way to access every setting. There are examples on many IGO related forums, I can post notes of settings I tweaked if anyone is interested.

Hope that helps

Mike

Last edited by MikeJohn; 8th August 2016 at 08:53.. Reason: Add note re sys.txt
MikeJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2016, 09:03   #19
Polly
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircub View Post
I dont use the onboard nav as I had the same problems so switched to Tomtom for Android. This is what the Nav should be excellent instructions, realistic voices including street names and the added benefit of live traffic via my tethered phone data.

That was the way I was considering, but:
I thought I read on here that there was a problem downloading the Tom Tom app?
There are some aspects of the on board app that I actually like, like the street names announcement, and the slow voice could perhaps be overcome by installing additional voices, but none of that will resolve the late announcement issue.
No doubt there is a setting in there somewhere, but so far it has eluded me. I am assuming it would have to be somewhere within the app?

Old 8th August 2016, 09:47   #20
Polly
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
I've been using Igo8 first on the two WinCe units I've had and then Igo Primo on the Navall1, Navall3 and Star and never had any problems having been all over the U.K and large parts of Europe .
Not got lost yet

I do however use the natural voices rather than the robotic ones and haven't had any problems with late announcements of turns etc

Having said that, as has been mentioned, it's an android unit and there are many other navigations programs available for download which may suit peeps better

Reading your post, I was inclined to say, that there was the answer in your second paragraph;
"I do however use the natural voices rather than the robotic ones and haven't had any problems with late announcements of turns etc"
But then SCP440's post suggests otherwise, because like me, he uses the robotic ones.
I have to confess that I'm a bit like SCP440, and would rather things worked straight out of the box, but no one could drive safely and actually get where they wanted with the Igo8 app as it presently is in my car. At best, approximately 2 car lengths from a roundabout you get the instruction leave by the "x" exit, fine if you happen to be in the correct lane, but absolutely useless otherwise.
Actually I just learned why it is that nobody uses indicators nowadays,... It's because nobody pays a blind bit of notice to them anyway....You are left there sitting in the right hand lane, but indicating that actually you would like to turn left, whilst a whole string of traffic overtakes in the inside, and even when the lights change, absolutely no one will allow you to change lanes.