Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th August 2015, 06:46   #1
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Default Replacing rear silencer

Well that sounds simple does it not, ahh but it ain't. Tracked one down for 70 quid, looking at the picture of the exhaust I thought " easy peasy, I can swap that no problem", oh no, why? because when I lifted my CDTI to get the old one off I found that it was a complete pipe running from the engine to the back complete with catalytic Converter. The one I purchased was just the pipe and back box, I now have to take the car to an exhaust centre for them to do it with an additional cost of 30 quid, as they have to cut the old pipe after the Cat to fit the new one, if I had bought it from them in the first place it would have cost 80 quid and they would have fitted it for nowt saving 20 quid, never mind ay
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 07:02   #2
biggles2000
Regular poster

75 and ZT-T

Mine is the same. I just cut the pipe just behind the cat and fitted the new exhaust. I used a dremel and a couple cutting discs. Easy, but noisy job. I couldn't get a sensible quote out of any garage, so found an aftermarket on ebay, along with a clamp and some exhaust paste.
biggles2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 10:10   #3
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

FYI. For obvious reasons, production exhausts were all in one for quicker cheaper handling.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 11:23   #4
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
Well that sounds simple does it not, ahh but it ain't. Tracked one down for 70 quid, looking at the picture of the exhaust I thought " easy peasy, I can swap that no problem", oh no, why? because when I lifted my CDTI to get the old one off I found that it was a complete pipe running from the engine to the back complete with catalytic Converter. The one I purchased was just the pipe and back box, I now have to take the car to an exhaust centre for them to do it with an additional cost of 30 quid, as they have to cut the old pipe after the Cat to fit the new one, if I had bought it from them in the first place it would have cost 80 quid and they would have fitted it for nowt saving 20 quid, never mind ay
Can be a DIY job, see here for how to, mine fitted at home with just axle stands and a jack.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 12:27   #5
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

It's incredible how long these exhausts last, mines coming up to 15 years old I'm guessing the 'oil burners' tend to rustproof them to a degree.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 14:09   #6
RepoUK
Loves to post

R75 CDTi Tourer 160bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
B&Q used to do a cheap angle grinder for under £10, not on their site now but they might be around in store. Eye protection a must obviously!
RepoUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 15:52   #7
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Can be a DIY job, see here for how to, mine fitted at home with just axle stands and a jack.
The back box illustrated is different from the one on the CDTI but its still worth a go, thanks for the thread.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 18:30   #8
MevagisseyMedic
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Club Tourer 2002 Auto

Just had mine replaced in St Austell £80.
MevagisseyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 20:17   #9
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

You just need a hacksaw, exhaust clamp and paste - PLUS 2 spankingly new hangers.

Jack up and support NSR, undo bracket, swear at getting remnant of bracket and hangers off. Unhook the hangers further upstream to give more wriggle room, offer exhaust up and cut. A decent hacksaw will work just a long job. Put hangers on car THEN backbox (a friend guiding the box is a must). Push cut ends together with some paste, clamp and then restore the hangers upstream. Swear alot, curse the car and start it up. The boxes smoke a bit for a while and done.

Then admire the newly replaced dustbin - all the aftermarket ones make me weep ad how ugly they are compared to the sleek hidden box that was OEM.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote