Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2015, 07:51   #11
MevagisseyMedic
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Club Tourer 2002 Auto

I would suggest getting a manual, as a newbie driver trained with a manual car I would suggest staying with that for a few years to get your self more confident with road conditions and basic car handling, learn how your driving improves. Once you have mastered the manual and your responses are better then you can think about a Auto.
MevagisseyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 10:54   #12
Grumpy1
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 2.5 2001 Royal Blue Connoissuer Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosephus View Post
Or go the whole hog and get a chauffeur!
It might not be too long before I need one Joe!

Chad.

Oh no! Not DRLs! Yes, I can open the bonnet.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 11:03   #13
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

I think the advice given has been good and probably best to go manual at first to gain experience or buy a steptronic zr 120 which would give you options of auto and manual. Living in London I would never go back to a manual gearbox last time I had a loan car while mine was in dock I made 84 changes in just 3 miles ! I am too old to be a boy racer or his older equivalant so the smooth jatco autobox suits me perfectly
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 11:04   #14
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

There was a time that if you took your driving test in an automatic you could not drive a manual, but if you took your test in a manual you could drive an automatic, has this now changed.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 11:04   #15
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
There was a time that if you took your driving test in an automatic you could not drive a manual, but if you took your test in a manual you could drive an automatic, has this now changed.
Still the same
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 11:29   #16
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

As a first car, is strongly recommend a manual. Taking lessons will teach you how to pass the test, but you won't develop your own driving style until you've been driving by yourself for a couple of years. In that time you'll develop the standard reactions for driving such as predicting what other cars on the road will do, turning on your indicators without having to think about it, etc. One thing you'll develop is the ability to change gear without having to think about it. Of you have an auto as your first car, you'll never develop that reaction which will make it had more difficult if you have a manual car in the future.

I know a couple of people who made this mistake and they all moan about how difficult it is to find a 2nd hand carry they want because they "can't" drive a manual even though that's what they took their test in.
Old 20th March 2015, 12:20   #17
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Auto's do take the stress away, but they are around £80 more p/y to tax and the fuel economy is not so good as a manual, this is offset by having no clutch to fail. Depends really on your criteria
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 12:44   #18
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Well a contrary view. For 80% of my 47 years as a driver I have had manuals and enjoyed them. However you can't buck progress and know drive automatics. I know their is a growing trend towards automatics and indeed some manufacturers now only supply auto. It is a more relaxed experience and a relaxed driver with few distractions is likely to be a safer driver. The killer for automatics used to be less fuel efficient that manual. However the latests ZF 8 speed autos as used by Jaguar, Land Rover and BMW are more fuel efficient than manuals.

If people do want the vintage feel of driving a manual then I think the manufactures should only supply them with a starting handle and a non synchromesh gearbox for the full feeling of old fashioned driving!
Old 20th March 2015, 14:48   #19
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

It would be best to learn to drive in a manual as you are doing, you need the experience. Then once you have got your license, you are free to choose either option.

I think some cars are better suited as an auto, the Rover 75 and ZT are one of them.

When learning to drive, it does get easier as the weeks go by, its the theory test you need to study hard for... good luck.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 15:04   #20
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

you will be surpised how quickly your ability builds up towards the end of your lessons.

i was shocked when my instructor said i was ready for my test, even more shocked when i passed 1st time. i couldnt beleive they were letting me drive on my own!! i didnt feel ready at all but i was.
rosephus is offline   Reply With Quote