Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th March 2015, 19:15   #21
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Slight miss reading of my post. I didn't say Don't Change it. I merely said that throughout the course of its NORMAL life it slowly becomes more efficient.
You actually read something into my post that I didn't say.-

In your post you said yourself it was UN-Necessary which then begs the question------Why do it then ?????------Very odd.--
I do it because like I said I still like to see the oil not completely black, its simply my way of doing it, I agree its not necessary until manufacturers recommendations but old habits die hard with me. It has kept me in good stay in the past during my working life. When I check my oil it is nice to see it clean on the dipstick especially on a diesel.
I hope that clears my take on it.

I do not wish to take this thread away from Artics excellent how to.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 22:02   #22
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadragon View Post
Arctic, a quick question, I just re-read your how to and realized two things.
1, you have bolts holding your undertray on where as mine has those awkward large threaded screws, is that because yours is an earlier car(noticed the extra under bonnet pump on the picture) or because yours is a manual?. I didn't even know the undertrays were different on manuals and autos!!.
2, I just realized that I don't take off my engine cover to change my oil filter (silly me for not realizing earlier!!) I'm sure there is enough room to do it with the cover in situ. Doesn't detract from your excellent "how to" though. As mentioned this may encourage others to have a go, which in my opinion is worth it's weight in gold!! Thanks.
Regards DaDragon

Hi Lee.
The bolts on the under tray/ engine shield are ones I added myself as I was fed up with the 1/4 turn ones going missing and not completely secure, so I used spires and 10mm self tapping bolts, I always take the engine cover off it just gives you a little bit more room and again you can make a visual inspection injectors and fuel line hoses etc, also I changed the air filter and PCV and fuel filter at the same time so again it would have to be removed, the under bonnet pump was used through out the range as mine was a 2004 model, therefore in theory should not have it, these R75 car are always throwing up surprises.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 23:52   #23
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Surely if that were the case we would never need to change an oil filter - ever, there is a reason Royal Mail always fit an extra oil filter to their diesel trucks, it keeps the oil clean and prevents long term problems, it was a practice I adopted when running my wagons also, I would not take a chance on letting a filter get clogged, twice as often is always better than twice as long.
When I drain oil from a diesel I still want to see a glimmer of gold colour and not just jet black, this works for me.
If it has worked for you then its great, just not for me.

Still a perfect how to for anyone.
Lots of larger engines have two oil filters, a normal one, then an extra fine one through which a small proportion of the circulating oil passes through.

I agree with Colvert - Filters do actually become more efficient as use progresses, but its a trade off between efficiency and flow - leave it in long enough and there will be no through flow because it will choke. Not sure whether the M45 has one, but some filter housings have a by-pass system, to by-pass a filter if it becomes completely choked.

So changing your filter too often, might not be a good idea.

Mine does around 6K per year, so I change the oil annually, the filter every second year.

The oil in a diesel BTW, is supposed to be black. That is the oil doing its job properly, in washing all the dirty combustion products out and suspending them in the oil. The oil in a diesel will turn black within just a very few miles.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 13th March 2015 at 23:55..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 08:30   #24
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

Arctic, yes I knew about the extra pump on the earlier models, I was just trying to understand the reason for the bolts on the undertray so was using this as a reason, thought for a minute I was missing something!!. That's a good idea to replace them, fortunately I bought new screws and everything's fine (so far) in that department. I know what you mean about these cars throwing up surprises, mine is a 2004 and has a single in tank pump, as does my wife's 2004, yet my sons has 2, also a 2004, go figure!!!!. Thanks.
Regards DaDragon
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 09:03   #25
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Many thanks Arctic for your excellent post on the how to "change your oil" These posts are absolutely invaluable to the likes of me, so even stating the obvious is a god send for plonkers like me .
Not all of us are mechanically minded but that does not mean we dont like getting our hands dirty. In-depth guides like this just give the less confident the opportunity to tackle jobs they would normally shy away from and saving a few pounds in the process
Keep up the good work Arctic ( its always appreciated )
Johnny
Old 15th March 2015, 09:26   #26
MevagisseyMedic
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Club Tourer 2002 Auto

I Arctic,
Always good to see photos rather than reams of text, personally I use a Sealey TP69 vacuum pump. It has a 6.5 litre tank, good enough for our engines.

As for extra hands for the funnel, I cut the end off, so much easier. see photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil funnel.jpg (69.1 KB, 66 views)
MevagisseyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 09:48   #27
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevagisseyMedic View Post
I Arctic,
Always good to see photos rather than reams of text, personally I use a Sealey TP69 vacuum pump. It has a 6.5 litre tank, good enough for our engines.

As for extra hands for the funnel, I cut the end off, so much easier. see photo.
Hi Barry.
Good idea that noted for next Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 09:53   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevagisseyMedic View Post
I Arctic,

Thanks for those photos shwoing which end to cut off
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 10:20   #29
myrover2013
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE in copper leaf red

what a fantastic review many thanks & with all these pictures, a real credit to the club
myrover2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2015, 21:10   #30
Submarineman
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Default Link to eBay filter?

Hi Arctic, just a quick verification, the eBay link at the start of this thread to an Oil Filter, the eBay site states that it will not fit SE Connoisseur CDTI ? I have a sneaky suspicion that your superior knowledge may nullify what is stated: will it fit my 2.0 CDTI?