Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th February 2015, 18:02   #11
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I agree with the above posts and would check the fan operation first. Jules has written a very good guide here for checking out this out.

Are you aware of any sealing products, such as K Seal being used on the engine? They are notorious for causing blockages in the cooling system.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 18:07   #12
thomasgoudie1956

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I agree with the above posts and would check the fan operation first. Jules has written a very good guide here for checking out this out.

Are you aware of any sealing products, such as K Seal being used on the engine? They are notorious for causing blockages in the cooling system.
Hi Don't know if any body before me has used sealing products. The fan comes on when you put the demist on.
thomasgoudie1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 21:48   #13
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

Since the fan's OK, the next suspects are radiator, t-piece (or any other hoses/plasticware), the (although new may be bad) thermostat and the coolant cap itself.

How is the coolant level looking?

If you read all of this thread (not just the start which is slightly misleading)-

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=198100

,you will see that the level is lower than one might expect - how is yours looking?

Are there any signs of a leak? When it overheated was there steam anywhere?
If it has the correct coolant, any reasonably large leaks will show as red/pink stains in the affected area.
Ps3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 22:46   #14
thomasgoudie1956

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps3000 View Post
Since the fan's OK, the next suspects are radiator, t-piece (or any other hoses/plasticware), the (although new may be bad) thermostat and the coolant cap itself.

How is the coolant level looking?

If you read all of this thread (not just the start which is slightly misleading)-

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=198100

,you will see that the level is lower than one might expect - how is yours looking?

Are there any signs of a leak? When it overheated was there steam anywhere?
If it has the correct coolant, any reasonably large leaks will show as red/pink stains in the affected area.
Hi sorry I have not got back sooner but had to work.
I replaced the thermostat and the coolant cap the level of fluid is about half way up.
I have seen no signs of leakage other than when it gets to hot then it comes out the expansion tank. no steam anywhere.
and thank you for your help
Old 9th February 2015, 23:27   #15
johnandchris
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI

If you have excess pressure in the header tank causing collant loss through the cap could be hgf with gases getting into the coolant 😥
Old 9th February 2015, 23:27   #16
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

When you say "half way up" you mean between the min and max marks?

The proper level is lower than you'd expect (apologies if you know this, just checking).

I understand there is a type of failure on the 1.8 where it leaks coolant into the engine (or out) via the inlet manifold gasket - but that won't apply if you're not losing any water.

I would try running it (stationary) using that IPK temp monitor and see what temps you're getting. Somewhere on here is listed the fan cut in temps etc.

That might give a better idea, although if there's nothing obvious, it may be time for a trip back to the garage that did the thermostat etc.

There's a process for ensuring the system's not got airlocks after a refill detailed by another member here

Last edited by Ps3000; 9th February 2015 at 23:41..
Old 9th February 2015, 23:40   #17
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandchris View Post
If you have excess pressure in the header tank causing collant loss through the cap could be hgf with gases getting into the coolant 😥
Could be - but OP has had system pressure tested - I know it's not foolproof, but maybe we should try to eliminate the easier stuff first? Perfectly possible to be HGF, but not forced to be eh :-)
Old 10th February 2015, 00:01   #18
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasgoudie1956 View Post
I am having overheating problems after having no heating in the car.
Tom,

I'd start by bleeding the cooling system as mentioned by Ps3000 above. That should get rid of any air trapped in the cooling system which might be responsible for your heater problem and engine overheating.

It would also be useful to know the actual coolant temperature when it starts being released from the expansion tank cap. Here's how to do that.

Simon
Old 10th February 2015, 09:28   #19
thomasgoudie1956

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Tom,

I'd start by bleeding the cooling system as mentioned by Ps3000 above. That should get rid of any air trapped in the cooling system which might be responsible for your heater problem and engine overheating.

It would also be useful to know the actual coolant temperature when it starts being released from the expansion tank cap. Here's how to do that.

Simon
Thank you for all your advice I will try the methods you have all advised and let you know the outcome.

Once again Thank you
tOM
Old 10th February 2015, 16:54   #20
thomasgoudie1956

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Tom,

Simon
Hi, Tried the test that Rich done 19...then 7... first time I was getting 90/95 coming up the second time after watching the video again it said 0000 ???

The fan when I done the test came on for about 5 seconds... then off for 30 seconds...then back on again for 5 seconds then off again for 30 seconds and kept repeating this. No leaks or steam any where, checked the coolant cap for signs of leakage and around the cap was bone dry

Thanks again

Tom