Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th January 2015, 18:15   #11
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by munroman View Post
Mmm, If I might give my 'tuppence worth', conditions up here in Scotland have been very variable, with snow, ice and warm wet conditions, all within a few hours.

As an example, at 10pm last night it was 5 degrees, by 7am there had been a sharp frost, and the roads and pavements were sheet ice.
I'm used to icy conditions on the mountains, but this morning was as bad as I've seen, a Transit van slid sideways at a junction when it was only going at walking pace, shortly afterwards an ambulance had a 'moment' even though it was going fairly slowly.

Due to 'cutbacks; gritting seems to have been cut way back, there has been no gritting of local side roads (which are fairly hilly)at all this winter.

Of course we should all drive 'to the conditions', the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes those conditions do change very quickly, all it takes is one blocked drain and a patch of ice can form, and once you hit that, you're just a passenger. (This happened to me, I was doing 15mph on a straight road and rain had landed on ice, the car just broke away from me, slid backwards into a lampost, and I ended up facing the correct way, 6 feet away from an 18 wheel lorry which had managed to stop in time, my drivers seat needed to be valeted though)

Glad you were ok, and the car is fixed, lets support each other here, sometimes despite our best efforts **** happens, and it's easy to be critical from afar, we do not live in a perfect world......
Happens in Scotland but not in Sweden....................my 2p

Be prepared, carry a blanket for overnight in the car...............etc....................
Ignorance is never an excuse but preparation is a life saver.........

Sorry for the harsh reply but...................we all know what to do when it's too late
Let's make sure we know what to do before that

I got caught out and decided to book a room in a hotel and drive the next day.
Expensive..............yes..............but it did ensure arriving in one piece

Last edited by Dragrad; 2nd September 2015 at 00:06.. Reason: Contravention of Club Rules - FAQ Rule 2 ;-(
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 18:24   #12
Mdan
Gets stuck in

mg zt

I'll have my 2p worth time for some good quailty winter tyres
Mdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 18:28   #13
michael peters
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by munroman View Post
Mmm, If I might give my 'tuppence worth', conditions up here in Scotland have been very variable, with snow, ice and warm wet conditions, all within a few hours.

As an example, at 10pm last night it was 5 degrees, by 7am there had been a sharp frost, and the roads and pavements were sheet ice.
I'm used to icy conditions on the mountains, but this morning was as bad as I've seen, a Transit van slid sideways at a junction when it was only going at walking pace, shortly afterwards an ambulance had a 'moment' even though it was going fairly slowly.

Due to 'cutbacks; gritting seems to have been cut way back, there has been no gritting of local side roads (which are fairly hilly)at all this winter.

Of course we should all drive 'to the conditions', the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes those conditions do change very quickly, all it takes is one blocked drain and a patch of ice can form, and once you hit that, you're just a passenger. (This happened to me, I was doing 15mph on a straight road and rain had landed on ice, the car just broke away from me, slid backwards into a lampost, and I ended up facing the correct way, 6 feet away from an 18 wheel lorry which had managed to stop in time, my drivers seat needed to be valeted though)

Glad you were ok, and the car is fixed, lets support each other here, sometimes despite our best efforts Sh1t happens, and it's easy to be critical from afar, we do not live in a perfect world......
I quite agree, can happen to the best.
michael peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 18:30   #14
SirRustalot
Gets stuck in

Box of ales and some cheap sunglasses

Delighted you're okay and you absolutely did the right thing getting it repaired.

As for the driving within conditions gig, we all get caught out now and again. I'm an advanced driver and when it comes to black ice, no qualification or experience in the world makes a difference.
Old 24th January 2015, 18:32   #15
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael peters View Post
I quite agree, can happen to the best.
Quite, so give the best some help and be properly prepared.

We all make mistakes but let's make sure it's not the equipment
Old 24th January 2015, 18:36   #16
Ros3
This is my second home

Rover 75 V6 saloon (gone to the Rover garage in the sky), Mazda mx5 Phoenix.

Thanks for the offer of help Wullie, I just took it round to George at Hearth Road Motors and he sorted it.

And thanks for all the other nice comments as well.

As for the conditions, I was driving at a speed suitable for the conditions, visability was good, it had been snowing but the road was more than useable, my tyres are less than 1000 miles old, the car simply went from under me and there was nothing I could do about it. No amount of blankets in the boot would have made any difference..
Ros3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 18:44   #17
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros3 View Post
Thanks for the offer of help Wullie, I just took it round to George at Hearth Road Motors and he sorted it.

And thanks for all the other nice comments as well.

As for the conditions, I was driving at a speed suitable for the conditions, visability was good, it had been snowing but the road was more than useable, my tyres are less than 1000 miles old, the car simply went from under me and there was nothing I could do about it. No amount of blankets in the boot would have made any difference..
At least you would be warm.......................
Glad you're OK.....................
Old 24th January 2015, 19:16   #18
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but glad to hear that you're okay, and that you've decided to repair the car.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 20:22   #19
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

It may not have been driver error. many moons ago I did two 360's in a v12 Jaguar when trying to turn left in a town centre. The road was soaked in diesel fuel from busses making the same turn with full tanks...

Fortunately I was only doing about 5 mph, so spun round very slowly and gracefully.. And I was lucky enough not to hit anything... phew..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 21:32   #20
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Glad you are OK and that your 75 is now fixed.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote