Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2015, 18:26   #11
michael peters
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Well, many thanks to Andrew (first-things-irst - nice to speak to you on the phone earlier, Andrew)

I took his advice and placed a jack under the engine, and then removed the upper engine mount, including the bracket over the hydramount and the bracket behind the hydramount that bolts to the inner wing. This then gives plenty of room for the long 24mm spanner to swing back through a good arc when placed on the tensioner - see photos below for the 'starting' position for the removal of the main auxillary belt. With the spanner initially resting against the slam panel, I pushed it back until it was just past the vertical position, and the tensioner released, and it was easy to reach underneath and slip the belt off the crank pulley whilst holding the spanner up above. A couple of 10mm bolts to release and the air con belt was off in no time.

Only two and a half hours on the job so far, and I have not even tackled the crank pulley bolt yet !

I have bolted the engine mount sback in place, because I think I will need all the help I can get when it comes to shifting the pulley bolt - it seems sensible to have the engine well strapped down for that !

I really do not think I could have got the belts off using the accepted method of attacking the tensioner from underneath the wheel arch - Andrew had to get his done from the top as well on his 2005 car. Perhaps there is something about the very late cars (2005) that have a different tensioner or less clearance that makes the job almost impossible using the usual method in the manuals.

Anyway, updates will follow - next job is to get the starter motor off ready for attacking the pulley bolt - might be tomorrow or day after.

Pete
Nice looking engine bay, me envious, mine came from a muddy country area so is nowhere near as clean.
michael peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 18:46   #12
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Excellent news. Glad I could help.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 19:21   #13
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Just remember that the pulley bolt is a reverse thread, i.e. anticlockwise to tighten, clockwise to loosen... something all too easily forgotten leading to much effort for no reason!

Please ignore this...!

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive

Last edited by calibrax; 15th January 2015 at 19:56.. Reason: I'm an idiot
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 19:34   #14
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Steve to save someone suffering a hernia, you are talking about the tensioner bearing being left handed and not the crank pulley bolt.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 19:53   #15
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Steve to save someone suffering a hernia, you are talking about the tensioner bearing being left handed and not the crank pulley bolt.
whoops!

Ignore me, I'm having a bad day...

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 20:20   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Delete it it if you want mate and I'll delete both of mine. No one will be any the wiser.
Old 15th January 2015, 21:06   #17
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

I had a hernia repair operation 3 months ago, so I definitely want to undo the pulley bolt in the right direction !! - I may use an air impact wrench anyway, if I can't shift it myself, and to avoid too much strain.

Thanks

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 18:06   #18
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Default Crank pulley is off !!

Well - progress today - went out to the garage fairly late due to a busy work day. Disconnected the battery and removed the starter motor (top bolt a bit difficult to get at, but not too bad).

I could not see any evidence of the 15mm bolts on the flywheel that could be used to lock it, according to another 'how to' thread on this forum. So I jammed a tyre lever into the starter motor 'hole' to lock the flywheel starter ring teeth - seemed to work OK. Now the fun part - I started with just a 3/4 inch 22mm socket on a short extension bar on the pulley bolt and a 2 foot breaker bar - nothing. Went to a three foot breaker bar - still nothing and the bar was bending that much I feared it might snap. Fearing for my recent hernia repair, I fired up the compressor and put the air impact wrench on the bolt- still nothing, even at full power setting. I was about to give up for today, thinking I would need to go out and buy a more powerful impact wrench (like the Clarke 1000 electric impact wrench, twice as powerful as my cheap air one) when I thought I would just try making a long extension bar out of various 3/4 inch extension bars, so that it would clear the wheel arch to get more leverage. I really did not think this would work, as there were too many joins, so I thought it would flex too much. Anyway, I cobbled it together, put a two foot breaker bar on the end, then slipped a 5 foot scaffold pole over that. Started to pull up on it, and lo and behold, I felt movement, and the bolt had freed, much to my amazement ! I am still in shock !

Going for lie down now ! - I will start putting it back together over the weekend. I assume there is no key or locating pin to go in the cut outs on the back of the pulley and end of the crankshaft - nothing fell out when I took the pulley off, so I assume I put it back on with just the bolt and washer (I have new ones from Rimmers).

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belt change 01.15 001.JPG (70.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Belt change 01.15 002.JPG (72.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Belt change 01.15 003.JPG (78.8 KB, 97 views)
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 19:01   #19
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Good work Pete. Yes there is no key for the pulley - the diesels aren't timed from the pulley so no need for one.

Probably why the bolt is so tight.
Old 16th January 2015, 19:20   #20
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Looks easy with the right tool ....

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se..._damper_(m47)/

I think the trick is to limit flexions ..

Last edited by FrenchMike; 16th January 2015 at 19:25..
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote