Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th January 2015, 20:39   #11
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
K & N Panel filter it is then...
My recomendation.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 21:17   #12
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Can't vouch for the K&N panel filter, but when I had my 2.5 V6, I fitted a K&N kit with heat shield etc... noticeably changed the sound of the engine, even at idle, but wasn't obtrusive.... It may be subjective, as I could never prove it, but I did feel that acceleration was improved a little, and my fuel consumption didn't change that I noticed doing 300 miles per week.....
I picked my kit up used for about £40.... and would say it was a good investment for me..
Cheers
Phil
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 21:46   #13
gazcaz
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaandphil View Post
Can't vouch for the K&N panel filter, but when I had my 2.5 V6, I fitted a K&N kit with heat shield etc... noticeably changed the sound of the engine, even at idle, but wasn't obtrusive.... It may be subjective, as I could never prove it, but I did feel that acceleration was improved a little, and my fuel consumption didn't change that I noticed doing 300 miles per week.....
I picked my kit up used for about £40.... and would say it was a good investment for me..
Cheers
Phil

From where any pointers pls.

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 22:10   #14
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

I have a Blitz SUS Filter fitted.

For me, improved economy by about 3mpg over a standard setup. Engine feels a lot freer, especially in the upper rev-range. Which as I have a 2.0lt V6 with a short stroke engine is beneficial.

I also bought the K&N Panel filter and fitted that, although better than a standard filter doesn't quite match the Blitz I'm afraid so I refitted the Blitz after a good couple of months comparing the 2.

The only thing, and it is the only thing, is it makes the Engine Bay look untidy.... But seeing as I generally have that closed when driving, I can live with it...

Old 5th January 2015, 22:10   #15
Colly
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Not in relation to one of these cars but after an engine rebuild I did back to back testing on a rolling road on my race frogeye sprite running twin webers. Did a run with filters (piper cross socks that some people say are useless) and a run with no filters at all. There was virtually no difference in power at all (less than 1bhp) when running with no filters at all and therefore no restriction. My brother spent a silly amount of money on a carlos fandango filter on his single weber similar spec engine and lost 8bhp with it over a K&N that was on there previously. Went straight on ebay afterwards. If there are slight gains with a better flow air filter you are unlikely to feel any difference on the road. The K&N panel filter would be my recommendation; you don't want to end up spending money to have a reverse effect on any gains.
Colly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 22:56   #16
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
From where any pointers pls.
Picked it up from Ebay, and when I changed to my ZT, sold it on Ebay... just luck of the draw, no other bids at the time. I wouldn't say the full price version was value unless you have cash to splash!
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 23:12   #17
A19_Graham
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
I have a Blitz SUS Filter fitted.

For me, improved economy by about 3mpg over a standard setup. Engine feels a lot freer, especially in the upper rev-range. Which as I have a 2.0lt V6 with a short stroke engine is beneficial.

I also bought the K&N Panel filter and fitted that, although better than a standard filter doesn't quite match the Blitz I'm afraid so I refitted the Blitz after a good couple of months comparing the 2.

The only thing, and it is the only thing, is it makes the Engine Bay look untidy.... But seeing as I generally have that closed when driving, I can live with it...

Untidy, is a word I could NEVER use to describe your engine bay.

Always looks stunning.
A19_Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 00:50   #18
Big_GT
Loves to post

MG ZT 180+ SE

I have the gen 2 K&N kit on my 180 and tbh the only difference is the noise, i like to hear the KV6 breathe when stretching its legs, as for fuel usage no diff at all. Power gains ? well realistically it isn't going to make a sausage of difference in general driving because with the VIS motors on our cars there is no way of guaranteeing that they are opening fast enough, far enough etc etc so a couple of bhp either way is nothing * this is only my opinion after having 2 190's and now a 180 with the K&N *

Saying that on a nice freezing day there seems to be a tiny bit more mid range grunt but again that could just be the ECU adjusting to air temp.

Simply put IMO if you want a nice induction sound for day to day driving the Induction kit is the way to go, If you want quiet performance on a race track the panel filters seem to be popular for this.
Rover 45 Club SE Stepspeed - Moody Blue
Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Tourer - Nocturne
Rover 820 Vitesse - Zircon Silver
Big_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 07:12   #19
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
K&N panel filter is the way to go..
that is what I would say. I have two one with a cone and the other a K and N and all the original pipe work.

The cone does sound great however the additional noise driving for long times is a bit intrusive.
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 09:17   #20
d_a_n1979
Banned

2004 MG ZT-T 190+

I've made my own system up like a lot of folk have done but I've used a 90º alloy tube rather than a rubber connection and an AEM filter I had in my garage from my Honda days gone by

K&N are excellent BUT they are also oiled filters... Not great when it comes to your MAF so I'd highly recommend using a non-oiled K&N filter (can be found easy enough) or something along the likes of the Pipercross or ITG filters (this is the same with panel filters also)

I'm not ***** re fuel economy as I do 2-3k miles a year and also have an E60 M5 that even over the warmer months, I'm lucky to get about 15MPG out of it when driving it 'as it should be driven'

Plus I love the sound the V6 makes when it's pushed; the AEM cone filter releases such a nice growl it really does turn heads...!

Can't wait to get a decent stainless system made too!
d_a_n1979 is offline   Reply With Quote