Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th November 2014, 22:28   #11
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. I've got to the stage of expecting rubbish, and that way, I'll never be disappointed. Living where I do, travelling a distance to view a car is a necessity, and seems like there's a never-ending stream of rubbish cars.
As our cars get older, the standard of a lot is in decline.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 22:29   #12
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
Sorry to hear this Julien.... Really annoying!

But some ads do make me laugh - the ones that say it's absolutely 'Mint'....... Except for the small dent in the passenger door, oh and the marked bumpers. Also I think the A/C needs re-gassing and let me know if you're coming because I think the battery is stuffed... But other than that it's 'Mint'.....
Works both ways, Anne Marie (Scooterchick) posted an honest warts and all description of her car, with a final price that made sense to anyone who could return it to mint.
Her result, no sale so far, looks like the chancers will eventually get a sale, but an open up front seller get's nowhere.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 22:34   #13
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I think it somewhat depends on what you class as "Immaculate" or "Mint" for a 10YO car, myself.

I like to think my motor is in very good nick, given it's age, but if I was to judge it as a brand new car, I'd quite simply rip it to pieces.

"as if your just going to jump in and drive away after paying the cash."

Erm, strangely, that's exactly what I did with mine.
Because I'd bought it as part of a contract via Ebay.
I literally had a quick look at it, asked how it drove, paid the money and drove away.
Only to find that it needed a new Vis motor and new belts (after looking on here).

Perhaps I got lucky, but I'm happy with the car and felt I got a reasonable deal.

My point?
I'm not sure really, but surely if you enter into a contract, you should abide by it and buy the car?
And then argue the case afterwards?
Where I suspect you'd probably lose, tbh.

I'm not taking a view about the car.
It's more a point that if you bid, you're obliged to buy.
And if you don't, you can be given bad feedback for it.

Just thoughts.

Villa, Stella, Balti.
It's Brummie latin that means, er......

Vis tester available to local V6 owners
Anon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 22:46   #14
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon3 View Post
I think it somewhat depends on what you class as "Immaculate" or "Mint" for a 10YO car, myself.

I like to think my motor is in very good nick, given it's age, but if I was to judge it as a brand new car, I'd quite simply rip it to pieces.

I literally had a quick look at it, asked how it drove, paid the money and drove away.
Only to find that it needed a new Vis motor and new belts (after looking on here).

Perhaps I got lucky, but I'm happy with the car and felt I got a reasonable deal.

My point?
I'm not sure really, but surely if you enter into a contract, you should abide by it and buy the car?

Just thoughts.
Hi.
I bought the car in good faith it was not honestly described, there was several things wrong with it, yes it looked quite nice on the outside, but I was not prepared to take it on with the faults, for the price it was cheap someone with more knowledge could make it into a desirable car.

Julien
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 23:00   #15
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:

My point?

Just thoughts.
You do enter into a contract when bidding, but the contract is two ways... If the seller has placed a misleading advert, then he is in breach of the sales descriptions act, and you can walk away from the sale. It's down to the interpretation of the description though, and nit picking over some scuffs isn't good enough unless the seller has specified 'unblemished paintwork' or the like.... but failing to disclose faulty electrics, or indicating there are features such as a sunroof when there isn't, is a valid reason for breach of contract and withdrawing your offer.
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 23:22   #16
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaandphil View Post
You do enter into a contract when bidding, but the contract is two ways... If the seller has placed a misleading advert, then he is in breach of the sales descriptions act, and you can walk away from the sale. It's down to the interpretation of the description though, and nit picking over some scuffs isn't good enough unless the seller has specified 'unblemished paintwork' or the like.... but failing to disclose faulty electrics, or indicating there are features such as a sunroof when there isn't, is a valid reason for breach of contract and withdrawing your offer.
In fairness, I'd agree that the "sunroof" point is valid and probably a breach of contract on the seller's part.

Clunky clutch and cloudy headlights etc, no, imo, as they'd be reasonable, given the age.

I suppose the moral is don't bid on E-bay, if you expect a minter.
And certainly don't expect a minter to come cheaply.

Villa, Stella, Balti.
It's Brummie latin that means, er......

Vis tester available to local V6 owners
Anon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 23:33   #17
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjay View Post
Works both ways, Anne Marie (Scooterchick) posted an honest warts and all description of her car, with a final price that made sense to anyone who could return it to mint.
Her result, no sale so far, looks like the chancers will eventually get a sale, but an open up front seller get's nowhere.
I would still rather be honest and have a clear conscience, even if it means losing a sale than lie to make one....
Old 20th November 2014, 23:43   #18
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Quote:

My point?

Just thoughts.
As ninaandphil stated earlier there is a get-clause when bidding and winning if the item is not as described.
Anyway, the way I look at it is if the seller can lie about one thing, what else have they not disclosed.
And if they plead ignorance about it, then how can you have any faith at all in what they're claiming about what they know about the car...???
The contract is only binding if what you're paying for is what you're getting.

Last edited by MangoMan; 20th November 2014 at 23:47..
MangoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 23:46   #19
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMan View Post
I would still rather be honest and have a clear conscience, even if it means losing a sale than lie to make one....
That's my point, Anne Marie has been brutally honest about her car, result no buyer. Take into account the cost of sorting out the scratch in the paintwork and total price is still fair.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2014, 00:08   #20
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

That gold one is a beauty.