Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th October 2014, 19:52   #11
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael peters View Post
Thanks Steve. I will follow yours and Johnny's advice and try it with the MAF disconnected. As reply to Johnny, previous owner said he had replaced it but also mumbled about shopping around for the cheapest so maybe he fitted a duffer.
Yes, this is definitely a possibility. There are about a half a dozen threads on here at the moment related to MAF issues, and it's pretty clear that there are MAF sensors being sold which simply don't do the job properly for these cars. Fortunately it has recently become much cheaper (c. £75) to buy the right, Bosch, one, thanks to some shrewd detective work by some guys here, who identified that the MAF sensor being sold for the BMW 5 series contained the same part as the Rover 75 one, just in a different housing and at a considerably lower cost. Search the recent threads with 'MAF' in the title to get more info.
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 11:03   #12
michael peters
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2R View Post
Yes, should have mentioned disconnecting, easy test to see if it is the MAF, rather than buying a new one on spec. But it will be, I bet!
Tried it this morning with the MAF disconnected, huge improvement, many thanks.
michael peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 11:08   #13
michael peters
Regular poster

rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven.walsh View Post
Definitely the MAF sensor, (Mass Airflow Sensor).
Quick fix to 100% prove is to simply disconnect and your car will be transformed.
Some on here leave them disconnected, no detriment to the car that I know of, excepting prob wont get optimum power and fuel economy.
Then in slow time you can work out whether to replace with another Bosch MAF, mixed reports on here how long they last, I went for the RonBox Synergy II with piefberg MAF, gives extra power and better fuel economy for about same money.
Sure people will soon comment on other options as have seen quite a few of late.
To disconnect MAF remove big engine cover first one with BMW embossed on it.
Then remove remaining cover, the one the oil filler cap is part of, and where air filter sits beneath.
The MAF sensor and plug just to left of filler cap, you will need to mess with clips either side of black plug and the connector should pull free, stash connector safely somewhere in that area and have a drive, let us know how you get on.
Take care
Steve
Tried it this morning with the MAF disconnected and it was fine. Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.
michael peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 13:16   #14
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Harry's right that this is not conclusive proof that the MAF is actually to blame. You could always test the output, by getting hold of an ODB2 reader such as this one, £7.98 on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ELM327...item3cc0168b68 - and using it with Torque Pro on an Android smartphone. The figures it should be producing are given in this thread: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=195871.

In your position, though, I'd be inclined to just buy the MAF sensor for £75 and if it doesn't solve your problem, sell it on here to someone, I'm sure someone would snap it up for a few quid under the going rate.
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2014, 15:11   #15
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2R View Post
Harry's right that this is not conclusive proof that the MAF is actually to blame. You could always test the output, by getting hold of an ODB2 reader such as this one, £7.98 on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ELM327...item3cc0168b68 - and using it with Torque Pro on an Android smartphone. The figures it should be producing are given in this thread: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=195871.

In your position, though, I'd be inclined to just buy the MAF sensor for £75 and if it doesn't solve your problem, sell it on here to someone, I'm sure someone would snap it up for a few quid under the going rate.
Even that test is still not conclusive - you have to be sure everything else is as it should be on the induction side, before the test - filter OK, no leaks from the pipes, no EGR leaks and clean. Then finally the MAF test.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2022, 04:54   #16
maciejk
Avid contributor

99 Rover 75 CDT

hey, anyone knows why my cdt stumbles for a couple of seconds then surges forward when i hit the gas pedal, with engine warmed up, happens after i shut the engine and start it up again,, i got a bosch MAF.
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:44   #17
Popcorn
Loves to post

55 cdti tourer slush box executive grill

You could try unplugging the maf and see if it improves ,you say you fitted a Bosch maf was it new or secondhand.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:08   #18
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
You could try unplugging the maf and see if it improves ,you say you fitted a Bosch maf was it new or secondhand.

And is it, was it the correct MAF and a genuine (expensive) Bosch MAF from a reputable source?

Unplugging it, it uses default settings, which should work fine. If it does, you have confirmed your MAF as the cause.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2022, 20:17   #19
inzer

Rover 75

I think I have a similar problem. Except if I disconnect the MAF, the engine's twitching a lot on acceleration. Does anyone know what that might be? thank