Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th August 2014, 08:06   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IverRover View Post
Radiator fan....doesn't appear to be working at all whether it is switching demist with aircon on from cold or when the engine is at normal temp.
You have the common problem of loss of low speed, but don't panic! I have another check for you. Peer in through the radiator grille at the fan shrouding. Can you see a silver rectangular resistor with a wire at each end mounted at the two o'clock position? If you need a picture for reference, just search for Arctic's posts.

Please report back.

Simon
Old 28th August 2014, 10:31   #12
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

Hi IverRover

Welcome to Rover 75 V6 ownership
I have a 2ltr V6 Auto, owned it for 3 years, and like it more now than the day I bought it.
There are many improvements & mods you can do, and this forum is this place to find out about them, and also help & advice to carry them out.

I won't cause you overload, the checks mentioned already are a good start,

Membership of the club is a must, you won't regret that either.

trimani (Alf)
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 17:45   #13
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

'51 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn. Purchased 02/05

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
You have the common problem of loss of low speed, but don't panic! I have another check for you. Peer in through the radiator grille at the fan shrouding. Can you see a silver rectangular resistor with a wire at each end mounted at the two o'clock position? If you need a picture for reference, just search for Arctic's posts
This is a '51 car, so it's probably still got the original 3 speed fan, which did not use the resistor described. You may have to upgrade to the later 2 speed type, which is much more reliable, but fairly expensive if bought new.
davidbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 17:58   #14
ViT
Avid contributor

Trophy Blue MG ZT 190+, Union Blue MG6 Magnette TSE and Orange Marmalade MG3 3Style

Welcome to the forum, and your journey with such a fantastic car! Nice to see every making you feel at home already!

As you are a KV6 owner, two things engine related to check

1) Nice and easy, is there a rapid clicking sound from the top of the engine whilst the engine is running? Imagine a plastic valve tapping against its housing to picture the noise you're looking for

2) Not so easy as you need to remove the engine cover with the "V6" badge on it, only two bolts so worth doing. Once off, peer right down into the base of the "V" that the engine makes. Any signs of coolant down there? (White powered from where it has crystalised for example)

If you have either of the above they're not too serious, but number 2 will need sorted sooner rather than later.

In general, as with any car, check the water and oil levels regularly - especially as you're just getting to know her.

to summarise things to watch out for as already mentioned in general with the ZT and 75:

- Plenums at base of the windscreen
- Radiator fan speed
- Water ingress in the boot on the saloon - not serious, worth curing
- Check your reverse lights are coming on - common that reverse switch faulty
- test drive your car and pay attention to gear changes - can you feel a knock? Could be the lower engine mount which commonly needs replacing
- If you have Xenon headlights, check they are washing with the power washers - filter can get blocked, easy fix
- Watch the hand break, commonly needs adjusting so be mindful it may be weak absent this adjustment

All I can think of for now

Fantastic cars, and the niggle list is an easy mostly inexpensive one to sort!
ViT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 21:30   #15
IverRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0ltr V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Thanks again to all of you. Happily subscribed to become a member of the owners club as it looks to be a great source of information and support to 75 owners. As I have only had my car for 2 weeks now and driven her for about 70 miles, we are still getting to know one another.
Plenums done, no xenon headlamps, no water getting past rear light seals, water in 'v'......not that I noticed. Just got to have rear half of n/s sill replaced for MoT, which is being done next Wednesday, rad fan suspect but see Jules shop has a replacement kit for about £139 so will probably be in touch with him again on Monday, and anything else brought to my attention tomorrow........ Other bits just cosmetic and not urgent.
Your help and tips have been helpful already and I am very much hoping to join some of you at the gathering at The Ely tomorrow. Please keep the tips coming.
IverRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 21:35   #16
IverRover
Avid contributor

Quote:
You have the common problem of loss of low speed, but don't panic! I have another check for you. Peer in through the radiator grille at the fan shrouding. Can you see a silver rectangular resistor with a wire at each end mounted at the two o'clock position? If you need a picture for reference, just search for Arctic's posts.

Please report back.

Simon
Had a look and lugs on cowling but no sign of resistor having been fitted. Looking at Jules upgrade kit. Hopefully will sort that out and will look at doing cooler o rings at same time.
Old 30th August 2014, 22:17   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IverRover View Post
.. and will look at doing cooler o rings at same time.

You have a V6 Tony. I think that you're getting muddled with the diesel engine.

Simon
Old 30th August 2014, 22:38   #18
IverRover
Avid contributor

Quote:

You have a V6 Tony. I think that you're getting muddled with the diesel engine.

Simon
Oops, too eager to tackle different jobs and as you rightly point out, not read all the details on various postings properly.
On the flip side haha.......One less job to do then woohooo!
Old 31st August 2014, 15:33   #19
MevagisseyMedic
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Club Tourer 2002 Auto

welcome to the club, hope you have deep pockets you will always be tinkering and the more you can do yourself the better. always lots of advice and help here. Try and meet up with those near you, you might even learn a little more about your car.

Enjoy
MevagisseyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote