Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th March 2019, 21:38   #11
trikey
Premium Trader

T4

Thanked 7,101 Times in 4,276 Posts

I am thinking that 260 in Gateshead has a bit of a chequered history IIRC.
Old 9th March 2019, 13:21   #12
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 2,103 Times in 1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
PSSSST .... you do not buy any V8 if economy is high on your list of what a car must have. If you do, your priorities are all a'cuck and in dire need of realignment sharpish, toot sweet, or, even sooner than immediately.

That lazy tuned, understressed Mustang V8 has enormous appeal to me and a good few others.
Having owned two V8ís of the ex Buick variety - any V8 is a sound of beauty to my ears.

And you certainly donít buy one if you want economy.

So references to frequent fuel fill ups are all a bit silly really
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2019, 13:58   #13
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Having owned two V8ís of the ex Buick variety - any V8 is a sound of beauty to my ears.

And you certainly donít buy one if you want economy.

So references to frequent fuel fill ups are all a bit silly really

With the natural progression, that Buick V8 became a bit like Trigger's Broom.

Old 21st March 2019, 01:17   #14
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Everytime I hear someone say 'British cars are s#*t', 'the British can't build cars' etc etc, I ask them 'So why are nearly all the F1 cars made in this country?'

It's the same with a friend of mine who likes to mock me for 'driving a Rover' (it's actually an MG, although I do own two Rovers aswell, but anyway). I ask him to point out what bit he thinks is 'c*@p', and explain to me in full technical, engineering detail, why it is 'c*@p'? He then walks off mumbling.

This is what it has come to, people somehow know Rovers (and British cars in general) are 'c*@p', but don't actually know anything about them or cars in general and are unable to come up with any explanation based on upon engineering science to explain why they believe they are 'c*@p'.

Last edited by neilbaker86; 21st March 2019 at 01:25..
neilbaker86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neilbaker86 For This Useful Post:
Old 21st March 2019, 18:52   #15
MGJohn
This is my second home

Various MGs and Rovers

Thanked 1,571 Times in 1,072 Posts
Thumbs up Long overdue change of mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaker86 View Post
Everytime I hear someone say 'British cars are s#*t', 'the British can't build cars' etc etc, I ask them 'So why are nearly all the F1 cars made in this country?'

It's the same with a friend of mine who likes to mock me for 'driving a Rover' (it's actually an MG, although I do own two Rovers aswell, but anyway). I ask him to point out what bit he thinks is 'c*@p', and explain to me in full technical, engineering detail, why it is 'c*@p'? He then walks off mumbling.

This is what it has come to, people somehow know Rovers (and British cars in general) are 'c*@p', but don't actually know anything about them or cars in general and are unable to come up with any explanation based on upon engineering science to explain why they believe they are 'c*@p'.
Yeah but, yeah but Neil, it must be true cos it's been on TV and everything ... init? With the ultimate all knowing Motoring Journo professional one Herr J. Clarkson and BBC's Watchdog in the spearhead focus of that anti-British Automotive negativity. Usually with a poor snide, fake imitation, mocking MIdlands accent to ... accentuate the negativity in the case of Clarkson.

Now these folks are extremely highly rewarded professionals, many being paid to excess for years out of the guaranteed revenue stream broadcasting organ. So obviously know what they are talking about. Stands to reason ... for them

Some say BRAINWASHING at its most FAKE NEWS effective. I do not agree entirely with that stance. Only a mere 99% of that.

Actually, I would go much stronger. These "We're cleverer than you plebs and are so worth what we are paid" know-all-know- nowts are actually harmful to the Nation with their negative FAKE NEWS slants on just about ... everything.

Brainwashing works ... especially in the land of the self-inflicted who have formed long queues to pay over the odds for the likes of BMW, VW, Mercedes and even French automotive product. Thus exporting good UK jobs and careers to the mainland. Forget what the FAKE NEWS vendors tell you, we've been exporting that way for decades.

If as a result of the above you get the impression that I feel strongly about these forms of FAKE NEWS, you'd be right 100%.

By the way, here's my fake news slant... Hamilton's WDC and WCC winning Mercedes was designed and made in Stuttgart, not in the land of the cobblers in the English badlands of the midlands.

Cobblers awls... as we used to say down in old London Town's East End..

As my "Always buys German" friend used to say, you cannot beat German reliability and engineering John". I say used, he never does that now and for good reason.

Mind you, he genuinely believes the reason my MGs and Rovers are so reliable, is because of their Honda engines...told me so... Brainwashing at its finest.

Woman down the road curses the good folks of Dagenham because her Fiesta is so unreliable... She honestly did not believe me when I told her where her car was made... No end to it over the years. Very long term harmful.

No end to this antiBrit-car negativity over at least the past three decades in my experience.

However, I do detect a slow change in mindset across the UK which I believe is both widespread on the increase. ... in the past three years.. Witness all the Union Flags on products of late.... long overdue. See my signature for just one example... there are thousands of others.
Old 21st March 2019, 19:14   #16
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I've had no end of silly comments over the 16 years I've been driving (all of which have been Rover/MG Rover cars).

Was out washing my 220 Coupe Turbo one day and a lad walked past and said 'can I have it for banger racing?' (trying to be funny). I said 'No'. He then went on to say how he 'knows about cars and the headgasket will only go on it anyway'. I then explained this is a T-Series engine, not the K-series, although I've had three of those and never had a problem. After a bit more nonsense he gave up and walked off mumbling about something or another.

I used to get no end of people saying how I 'should've bought the Honda instead' in respect to my old 214Si, as 'that had a real wood dash board not the fake plastic one in this'. I then explain how they have their 'facts' NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- about face, the plastic fake wood was in the Honda Concerto, the real walnut veneer was in the Rover.

Not to mention 'should've got a proper car' etc etc.
neilbaker86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neilbaker86 For This Useful Post: