Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd April 2016, 13:20   #151
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Jon, do you still own the Supra or the 5th Gen Celica?

I've got a soft spot for the Celia 6th generation, I sold my UK 6th gen only last year, wish I blooming kept it now.

I always wanted a Supra, still do. I would absolutely luv a 1st generation Celica, that would be just brilliant. I still look out for a UK spec 6th Gen, may get another if I can find a good one that hasn't been boyd-up.

This was my Celica only last year.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 17:34   #152
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
I just spent a couple of hours going through this thread

I realised the following things
- There are many places in my ZT I haven't seen yet
- I really need to spend more time with my ZT (limited miles/year, could benefit from more TLC)
- The 5k agreed value mentioned somewhere in the thread isn't exaggerated
- Jon hasn't got OCD ... he prefers a proper job and the letters in alphabetical order: CDO
- I like the hydrodipping as it adds a personal touch and it's more than spraying something black to restore the finish. I would be tempted to have the same done to the parts of the interior (the ones in the door and return the airco unit to standard black)
- I wish I could read the next 20 pages right now.

Deep respect of the work done.
Thanks Eric,

I hope the whole thread helps people with their car ownerships. It might take me a while to write the next 20 pages
I'm glad the hydro dipping gives you some ideas. I wrapped the black interior bits your are talking about but you could easily get them dipped for a very effective finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Jon, do you still own the Supra or the 5th Gen Celica?

I've got a soft spot for the Celia 6th generation, I sold my UK 6th gen only last year, wish I blooming kept it now.

I always wanted a Supra, still do. I would absolutely luv a 1st generation Celica, that would be just brilliant. I still look out for a UK spec 6th Gen, may get another if I can find a good one that hasn't been boyd-up.

This was my Celica only last year.
Yea I am big fan of the Japanese sports car scene and especially the Toyota's as you can see I have had a Supra now for over 11 years and I still have my current one which I have owned for over 6 years which I imported from Japan

The Gen 5 is long gone as I had her as a project before the Supra's but my nephew has just bought a Gen 5 GT4 as a project and it has some money spent on it. I have been looking out for a Carlos Sainz Gen 5 but they are like rocking horse Poodoo

I think any of the celicas from 1-6 are really good cars (your old one looks good no wonder you wish you kept it) but the Gen 7 wedge was where Toyota started to go wayward and then they went all Prius. They have come back with the GT86 and the new Supra is on the verge as a deal between Toyota and BMW. and the Lexus LFA is a stunning bit of engineering

I do smile because my work colleagues cannot understand how I drive a Supra (all Fast and Furious) but have the same deep interest for the R75 and ZT's (All pipes and slippers)

Anyway back to the ZT. Not much posted but I have nearly finished the cooling system I am just waiting on a couple of coolant hoses to be delivered from Brit cars

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888

Last edited by jonc3725; 20th August 2017 at 21:58..
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 20:54   #153
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Totally agree Jon, the 7th gen lost all of the Celica DNA, Toyota moved in a different direction along with Mitsubishi and Mazda.

No more poor mans sports cars were made after the Celica, Supra, GTO, FTO, MR2 and RX8 etc. We now only have high performance sports cars that only the very rich can afford.

There is nothing wrong with owning two different types of vehicle, that are at two ends of the spectrum. I owned both my ZT and Celica at the same time for a short while, its was such an enjoyment to be able to drive the Celica, and then step into the ZT, and then the wifes Galaxy.

I can understand why some members on here own a 75, ZT and an MGF, super fun that would be. Its just ashame the MGF's are only a 2 seater, and have the 1.8 engine, otherwise I would bag a MGF for sure.

Last edited by Dallas; 22nd April 2016 at 21:12..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 21:07   #154
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

Not a lot has moved on with the car to be honest A mixture of lack of time, workload and waiting on parts

Anyway a few things have been completed

The gearbox was re mounted with new bolts and all torqued up.

With the engine back on all its mounts I then removed the coolant pipe under the car which carries the coolant to the oil cooler. These get really rusty but mine was covered in oil residue so was in fairly good condition. Thank goodness for oil leaks

I then stripped it down and de greased it

and got rid of all the rust and gave it a good rub down ready for priming. Any rust that was left was pre treated (which was the left hand side bracket really)

and fully painted with new bolts ready to fit when the replacement hoses arrive.

Next the oil catch can was cleaned, sprayed and a new vent filter fitted

I then trial fitted it, Manufactured a bracket then fitted on the rear bulkhead.

With hoses fitted to the small breathers it fits quite snuggly in the back of the engine bay.

I was then able to fit all the engine plastics back in (Battery tray, Air inlet chamber etc).

Hopefully the hoses and stainless clips arrive tomorrow because I can then get the coolant system filled and start the engine

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+

Last edited by jonc3725; 20th August 2017 at 21:59..
Old 25th April 2016, 21:12   #155
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

I tend to use POL-15 on anything that sits under the car. Not sure what others use

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+
Old 1st May 2016, 21:13   #156
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

Another update.

Well the good news is the engine is back up and running

The refurbished coolant pipe was re fitted with stainless steel clips

The engine block drain plug was refitted and then I rigged up the vacuum system I cobbled together. This makes the filling of a V6 coolant system hassle free.

You would need the following parts:-

8mm reinforced hose
8mm tee
8mm Ball valves x 2 (optional)
43mm-40mm bored rubber bung.
Oil extraction pump (I have a small Pela pump).

I connected up as shown in the picture

The 8mm tube was inserted into the bored bung and onto a 8mm tee. From the tee you connect one end to the pump and the other end for suction from the receptical holding the clean coolant. I also attached 2 x valves in the line to control the flow.

I then opened the right hand valve on the line to the pump and closed the left hand valve to the coolant and pumped the hand pump about 20-30 time until the top coolant hoses were collapsed.

I isolated the right hand valve and left the vacuum for 20 minutes to make sure I didn't lose it. The hoses stayed collapsed so the vacuum test proved the system was tight.

I then inserted the left hand hose into the coolant and opened the left hand valve. The vacuum dragged just over 7 Litres of fluid into the coolant system. As the system is designed to god 7.5 Ltrs this was a good amount of fluid. I had to pump the vacuum up a couple of times to drag all the fluid in. This is done by closing the left hand valve, opening the right hand valve and pumping until the top hoses collapsed then isolated the right hand valve, opened the left valve and the fluid flowed.

Last up once the system was topped up an new OEM expansion tank cap was fitted.

So the coolant system has had the following:-

1. New water pump
2. New Thermostat
3. Overhauled cooling fan
4. Radiator back flushed
5. New expansion cap
6. Replaced worn hoses
7. Vacuum refilled up with brand new coolant mix.

After all this work the car started first time

I bought up the coolant temp on the digital display on the clusterhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMQB...ature=youtu.be and watched the Coolant temps rise gradually and settled at idle at 94 degrees. I increased the revs and the temp rose to 100 degrees when the fan cut in (few). Thanks to original poster for the you tube clip

All the new joints and worked areas were then checked for leaks and all seems good. The next thing is to take the car for a short run to see how things stabilise. The idle speed seems a little high at just under 1000 RPM but that is something I will have to look into

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+

Last edited by jonc3725; 20th August 2017 at 22:00..
Old 10th June 2016, 19:45   #157
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

Been away for a while from this forum due to the TOAF arguments and I have been really busy so the car has had no love for a while

Anyway only a couple of things left to do in the engine bay (high idle and charge the AC) so I have moved onto the bodywork

Firstly a few pics of the engine bay in daylight (because some were asking) and a comparison between the old and new.

Original when bought

and the finished article which I am v happy with.

Next up the car was taken out of the garage and washed

Then I clayed the whole car. This was the dirt picked up on the rear corner of the bonnet

The area clayed

the bonnet clayed

and the rest of the car

Once clayed I put the car back in the garage to mop the paintwork.

I like to do this in the garage under fluorescent lights because they show a lot of defects.

here is the bonnet after claying but before mopping

and mopped

The rest of the car mopped

and then a final wash off

Next up is the repair the stonechips, get door mirror caps and side skirts sprayed. Also I will start waxing the bodywork after the stone chip repairs.

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+

Last edited by jonc3725; 20th August 2017 at 22:02..
Old 11th June 2016, 06:54   #158
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Super super Jon
You won't ever be washing it with a sponge now will you

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 16:51   #159
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Super super Jon
You won't ever be washing it with a sponge now will you

Cheers Jules. No spongesor car washes dont go near my cars. I could have gone over her again to be honest but the bodywork has some gleam back and the swirls and scratches are diminished. The stone chips on the bonnett are numerous though so I will have to see how it goes because a respray may be in order. Lets see how the repairs go first though

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+
Old 27th June 2016, 13:34   #160
Kwippy1878
Loves to post

MG ZT

Default Wow!!!

Hi Jon I have spent the last hour reading the whole project,it has given me so much hope for my ZED she and early 160 V6 comm 3545.
Number 9 of 52 British racking green pearl made in this spec and colour.
I have just finished the rain sensor mod and auto dimmer mirror with doing the same as you by replacing the roof loom, your in depth disciption of the fitting of the reverse parking sensor and speaker and the blind have helped. I was lucky enough to to find a ppd connie SE in my local scrap yard with all the toys on her.
My question is once you got ipk virginised was it all plug and play or did you need a T4 to turn on the message pack I have Toaf will this do the same it worked for the rain sensor.

Anyway job well done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (137.3 KB, 15 views)
Kwippy1878 is offline   Reply With Quote