Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th December 2008, 20:24   #31
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
Not entirely unrelated....for those who have fitted the heated washer jets (mine are still in the box!), how have they performed this week?

I instaled mine 2 weeks ago and was looking forward to defrostng the windscreen by using the fluid. After all it has anti freeze chemicals in it.

Frozen solid.

The heated washers were great and you could see them defrosting the jets however the pipes were frozen solid so nothing to push through them.

I'm a bit gutted but I understand why they didn't make a difference. I think they are only useful on the days where it is just cold enough to frost up the jets but the water would still be a fluid.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 20:26   #32
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
I'm a bit gutted but I understand why they didn't make a difference. I think they are only useful on the days where it is just cold enough to frost up the jets but the water would still be a fluid.
Granted they don't help first thing when the water itself maybe frozen but once the engine has been running a while and the water is liquid then they are a great use.

Their primary purpose is to stop windchill and sub-zero temperatures freezing any drops of water at the tips of the nozzles which would otherwise prevent them from operating whilst you were on the move. Potentially hazardous if you were unable to clear the screen in icy/snow conditions where all sorts of muck and dirt get thrown up on snow covered roads.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 20:34   #33
Departed
Retired

--

You still need to use screenwash with frost protection. In theory that would mean you don't need the heated jets, but the protection tends to evoprate in the washer jets. Hence why heating them is worth doing, otherwise your pipes and bottle are OK but the jets freeze.

Had them on another car for the past six years, and never seen a frozen jet yet.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote