Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd December 2008, 21:03   #11
Aga
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi Black Pearl

I must endorse Kandyman & Phil's comments. I used to get about 10k out of my Conti's. Then I put new ones on and got the infamous 4 wheel laser alignment & got 20k out of the next set! They recommend that you do the alignment every 6 months, regardless of tyre changes - but I change mine about 9 monthly intervals anyway - I do loadsamiles!!

Last edited by Aga; 12th December 2008 at 18:20..
Aga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 16:36   #12
allan7143

Mg ZT-T

Default Tyre eating monster

Many thanks for all the replys and advice guess i will be booking the car in for laser wheel alignment. How much does this cost and does anyone know off somewhere in Glasgow that i can get this done
allan7143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 08:26   #13
MRM
Regular poster

ZT 160T+

I must admit I get a simlar milage on my ZT-160T, about 8-10k. So maybe I also need to get an alignment done also.
MRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 08:50   #14
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan7143 View Post
Many thanks for all the replys and advice guess i will be booking the car in for laser wheel alignment. How much does this cost and does anyone know off somewhere in Glasgow that i can get this done
Make sure it is a full 4 wheel geometry check, some places just check that the front wheels are aligned with the back wheels and call that 'laser wheel alignment'. The rear wheels are adjustable as well and if they are out of alignment to start with, adjusting just the front ones won't help.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 08:58   #15
WeeMan
Posted a thing or two

Mazda MX5, BMW 520i

Just had mine done last week and was quoted £34 from garage in Troon, but when he checked he said they were spot on so didn't charge 1p!.
He did ask why I thought they were out and when I told him the outer edge of front tyres always wore really bad, he advised me to increase tyre pressure to 38 on front.
I read this on the forum before so seemed to be quite a knowledgeable chappy....then said to me about my strut top mounts needing done, wow.. I was impressed (Kwik-buck told me it was a broken spring!). He thought the reason for the heavy wear was the power steering, so increasing the pressure would help.
For a sole trading tyre/exhaust centre this guy was spot on and really knew his way around my ZTT....plenums aswell!
...........Oops! I babbled a bit there did I not! lol, I usually get about 20k out of the back tyres and 10k from the front.
Tyre Used and Abused so far:
Continental Sport Contacts, Michelin Pilots, Pirelli P-Zero (which were the worst!).
WeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 11:28   #16
efreeti
Gets stuck in

ZT-T CDT 130+ (04) & 75 Tourer CDT Auto (52) & a 1998 MGF (with HGF!)

I put a set of cheap and cheerfuls on mine about 5,000 miles ago and they are also starting to show a bias towards the outer edges. The set I replaced were similarly worn. I've had 4 wheel alignment done and they didn't charge me either as it didn't need doing.

I might get the tyre pressure us as well and see if that work.

What psi would be safe\advisable? 38 front 32 rear?

Replace in tank fuel pump with Peugeot alternative
Dismantle and re-fit interior and seats
Retrofit electric memory seats without the loom
All followed at your own risk!

Available to borrow: I have a home made (tried and tested) Cam Locking tool for M47 should anyone need it.
efreeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 11:42   #17
billcoleman
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

I get jut over 20k from a set of Michelins. Original fit was Conti, then tried Pirreli, but Michelin seem to be better (I do about 25k per year).

Rears always seem to go before the fronts so I expect I could get a few more miles if I were to rotate them.

Bill C
billcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 12:09   #18
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMan View Post
Just had mine done last week and was quoted £34 from garage in Troon, but when he checked he said they were spot on so didn't charge 1p!.
He did ask why I thought they were out and when I told him the outer edge of front tyres always wore really bad, he advised me to increase tyre pressure to 38 on front.
I read this on the forum before so seemed to be quite a knowledgeable chappy....then said to me about my strut top mounts needing done, wow.. I was impressed (Kwik-buck told me it was a broken spring!). He thought the reason for the heavy wear was the power steering, so increasing the pressure would help.
For a sole trading tyre/exhaust centre this guy was spot on and really knew his way around my ZTT....plenums aswell!
...........Oops! I babbled a bit there did I not! lol, I usually get about 20k out of the back tyres and 10k from the front.
Tyre Used and Abused so far:
Continental Sport Contacts, Michelin Pilots, Pirelli P-Zero (which were the worst!).
Any chance you can tell us the name / location of the garage in Troon - always on the lookout for trustworthy garages?
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 12:13   #19
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

The Continentals on my ZT lasted 20K - but to be fair they were shot to pieces and should have been replaced whan I bought it at 17K. The Nankangs that I then put on it lasted 16K - had to be replaced due to bad outer wear - the car has consistently pulled to the left since I bought it? (Hence the reason why I am keen to hear from Wee-man about the reliable garage in Troon).

Replaced with Nankangs again.

Maybe the road surfaces in Argyll are more abrasive ???

BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 12:31   #20
r44712
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 135 & ZR+ 115

The rapid tyre wear was part of the reason I got shot of my ZT - I got fed up with replacing all four of them (£600 for Continentials) every 9K miles (six months). All motorway miles, too.
r44712 is offline   Reply With Quote