Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd July 2017, 16:45   #21
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Went to my first Midlands Nano meet yesterday (Thanks Arctic) and took opportunity of a T4 health check.

All was well the only exception was an electrical fault that wouldn't clear on the EGR, so next week I will investigate and firstly disconnect it and see if there is any improvement.
Other than that I will look again for any air leaks between turbo and inlet manifold, all looks very clean and dry around intercooler connections, as said before top i/c hose looks sound but is very pliable so probably worth changing to rule out any problem there.

MOT isn't till March so have some time but with another trip to Portugal planned for September it would be good to solve problem soonest to see if mpg can be improved.
Thanks for all input, will post any eventual outcome.
Tony
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 21:44   #22
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

over 2 pages of thread and I'm amazed no-one has written...

No Smoke, No Poke!

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 21:51   #23
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
over 2 pages of thread and I'm amazed no-one has written...

No Smoke, No Poke!
To be honest There is Smoke and there is smoke IE screen

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 08:43   #24
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Most of the diesels smoke a some stage of accelerating, makes little if any changes if you run it on Shell or other proper fuels against cheap supermarket fuel. The power upgrade will make more smoke due to elevated fuel pressures and greater amounts of fuel injected, and as you clearly have done most of the obvious fixes, there is one that not many have spoken about.
It is not uncommon for the turbo seals to allow a small amount of oil through to the lower hose attached to the intercooler, this is again quite normal and no real problems to the car, but the long term effect is this.....
The intercooler has a small puddle of oil at the bottom, when the charge is generated by the turbo unit, it enters the intercooler, whips up a nice oil contaminated mist collectively with the hot gasses and then is introduced into the inlet tract and then off it goes into the engine and becomes burnt causing noticeable smoke.
This is worsened by the fact that the intercooler internals are heavily coated in oil from many years of punishment of hot gasses and oil mist. The efficiency of the cooler is marred and the engine fueling will be right but the gasses will contaminate everything it travels through ! On my car which has the 160 and also a synergy 2a on mid settings smokes fairly well under heavy load usage, the plan is to remove the intercooler and clean out with brake cleaner thoroughly, This will enable fresh intake gasses cooled properly.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but you did ask for info !
Should the smoke then be more blue than black if the engine is burning a little oil? or am I looking at it wronngly?
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 11:29   #25
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Should the smoke then be more blue than black if the engine is burning a little oil? or am I looking at it wronngly?
It'll be black - the oil in the intercooler is most likely as black as pitch already with soot contamination (as is the oil in most diesels just a few miles after and oil change).

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 2nd August 2017, 16:36   #26
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertone View Post
Went to my first Midlands Nano meet yesterday (Thanks Arctic) and took opportunity of a T4 health check.

All was well the only exception was an electrical fault that wouldn't clear on the EGR, so next week I will investigate and firstly disconnect it and see if there is any improvement.
Other than that I will look again for any air leaks between turbo and inlet manifold, all looks very clean and dry around intercooler connections, as said before top i/c hose looks sound but is very pliable so probably worth changing to rule out any problem there.

MOT isn't till March so have some time but with another trip to Portugal planned for September it would be good to solve problem soonest to see if mpg can be improved.
Thanks for all input, will post any eventual outcome.
Tony
Update
I have disconnected the EGR via blocking off the vacuum and disconnecting the plug from the vacuum solenoid.
Unless its my imagination pick up seems much more crisp even when revving from idle but I still have a smoke screen under hard acceleration, I'm taking the caravan out next week so will see how that goes.
So looks like I need to start investigating intercooler and maybe change the soft (original) hose although the hose and all around the intercooler connections are really clean.
The EGR valve does put a bit of a blockage into the airflow so I am thinking a bypass might be beneficial for air volume with 160 remap?
I'll keep on trying!
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:36   #27
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

One thing I haven't seen is mention of the airfilter quality or condition. This is by far the largest blockage to air flow in the whole system. A clean air filter is a must.

Now to address the below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Hi Chris,

To my mind diesel is an oil and as such a lubricant cleaner is cleaner as such may remove lubricants again, will bow to superior knowledge..
Diesel is an oil and a lubricant .

Cleaner is cleaner? may remove lubricants... or may not - especially if it's an oil.... Not all cleaning fluids are the same, There are a huge variety of cleaners - just for injectors, here is some reading for you... link

Most injector cleaners contain (unsurpisingly) solvents - many of which are carried in an oil derived base....

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 2nd August 2017, 22:02   #28
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Thanks, air cleaner is good.
It was suggested that I remove the outer 'cotton wool' to give better airflow. Whilst it may be worth a try I don't think it will sort the issue, the more I think about it an EGR bypass will open up the air duct.
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:26   #29
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

To clean the injectors give it an Italian tune-up. 3rd gear, foot-down for 5 miles. Certainly worked for me. Smoke gone on acceleration thereafter.
Old 3rd August 2017, 17:13   #30
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Put one of those additives for cleaning injectors into your fuel tank.
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote