Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th February 2020, 20:42   #11
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Engines never been on during whole process. We got pipes off after finding the massive blow out looked like a flared pipe already. Reran new lines attached airtight, tested as airtight during bleeding, no air from calipers but still no peddle. No pressure at all apart from the 2/3rd travel blip. There is a broken bleed nipple on 1st caliper thought so we took it off, expelled fluid and retested same result. I'm not going to have to plus gas, and hammer the old broken bleed nipple am I? I should still just have a spongy but pressured peddle for the minute amount of air that might be left because of this? I thought the ABS was on the 2ndary circuit so it shouldn't affect the actual pad operation or am I over-simplifying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
The thing is that the OP said the pedal went to the bottom.

Vacuum or not that shouldn't happen I reckon.--
lionatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 20:51   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

what is creating the vacuum? On a diesel, if the engine is off, and you have filled the system, and it is sealed, then there will be no pedal travel after a couple of pumps, until you either start the engine, or open a nipple. (I thought petrols was the same). Or are you saying that the pedal is solid even with the nipple open?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 20:59   #13
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

We cant understand it either. Pedals has no pressure at all. I didn't feel the blip personally as I was under the car bleeding. You know the score, pump, pump, pump, fluid comes with no air bubbles then you shout pedal down and tighten that corner off and move to the next. After all 4 corners done still no pressure.All with engine off, suggests air leak but we checked that at the unions and the pipes are all new copper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
what is creating the vacuum? On a diesel, if the engine is off, and you have filled the system, and it is sealed, then there will be no pedal travel after a couple of pumps, until you either start the engine, or open a nipple. (I thought petrols was the same). Or are you saying that the pedal is solid even with the nipple open?
Old 24th February 2020, 21:01   #14
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionatus View Post
Engines never been on during whole process. We got pipes off after finding the massive blow out looked like a flared pipe already. Reran new lines attached airtight, tested as airtight during bleeding, no air from calipers but still no peddle. No pressure at all apart from the 2/3rd travel blip. There is a broken bleed nipple on 1st caliper thought so we took it off, expelled fluid and retested same result. I'm not going to have to plus gas, and hammer the old broken bleed nipple am I? I should still just have a spongy but pressured peddle for the minute amount of air that might be left because of this? I thought the ABS was on the 2ndary circuit so it shouldn't affect the actual pad operation or am I over-simplifying?
I’m a little confused over some of this information. Are you saying no air came out of bleed nipples, even on the part of the circuit where the pipe failed?
With regards the bleed nipple that you removed - how did you manage to bleed this circuit as if doing it by peddle presses you would have to replace the nipple at the bottom of each pedal stroke otherwise you are just going to suck air back in.
Also from what I read, one of the nipples is stuck- so was that circuit not bled?
Alan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 21:01   #15
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Id also have thought vacuum pipes too but that only kicks in when engines running. I haven't checked them though, they were fine the last time I checked last summer after replacing the bracket, but until the initial systems is ok whats the point.

Quote:
Old 24th February 2020, 21:06   #16
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Took caliper off and expelled brake fluid by compressing caliper back to fully open. Filled join to flexi pipe with fluid and then rejoined. Not ideal but the air contained within would be minimal and certainly wouldn't result in no pedal at all. Air always comes out of bleed nipples after a brake line burst, but we bled several times at each corner to expell the air. The point is after all of this the pedal still has no pressure. When bleeding used easi-bleed type bottle to with one way pipe to ensure no air back into system apart form the 1st corner where we had caliper off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_M View Post
I’m a little confused over some of this information. Are you saying no air came out of bleed nipples, even on the part of the circuit where the pipe failed?
With regards the bleed nipple that you removed - how did you manage to bleed this circuit as if doing it by peddle presses you would have to replace the nipple at the bottom of each pedal stroke otherwise you are just going to suck air back in.
Also from what I read, one of the nipples is stuck- so was that circuit not bled?
Old 24th February 2020, 21:19   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionatus View Post
We cant understand it either. Pedals has no pressure at all. I didn't feel the blip personally as I was under the car bleeding. You know the score, pump, pump, pump, fluid comes with no air bubbles then you shout pedal down and tighten that corner off and move to the next. After all 4 corners done still no pressure.All with engine off, suggests air leak but we checked that at the unions and the pipes are all new copper.
if all four nipples are open, the pedal still doesnt move?

If that is the case, I would be looking at the pedal, and master cylinder. I know you mentioned previously, but it is quite unusual for a cylinder to fail in this way - not impossible obviously, even more unusual for a solid pedal (which is why you are getting all the questions lol).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 21:26   #18
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

The pedal does move thats the problem. Theres no pressure. It goes straight to the floor with the blip my mate mentioned. I have no idea if he imagined it or not but slight pressure halfwayish then none suggests flipping seals to me. Be aware I was an IT professional not and engineering professional so my rationality is NOT based on experience only on educated guesswork. But several bleeds and no pressure still suggests air to me the 3 mechanics laughing at us are the ones saying master and seal flip. As we have no access to a T4 I have no way of knowing and even if MarinaBrian was willing thats a 65 mile drive with no brakes. I think I have TOAF somewhere does it have the ABS purge brakes thingy?

Quote:

If that is the case, I would be looking at the pedal, and master cylinder. I know you mentioned previously, but it is quite unusual for a cylinder to fail in this way - not impossible obviously, even more unusual for a solid pedal (which is why you are getting all the questions lol).
Old 24th February 2020, 21:27   #19
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

What happens if you give the pedal a couple of quick pumps? Do you get a little resistance back?

What happens if you release a bleed nipple and push brake pedal down - do you get fluid being pushed out of the bleed nipple?
Alan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 21:27   #20
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Never done all 4 at the same time. Always went in sequence rear/near to offside front. Would that help the whole circuit open?

Quote: