Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th February 2023, 21:25   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Alternative to Diesel, is it viable?

Alternative to Diesel.
Just been watching Guy Martins Great British Power Trip.
In it he reveals an alternative to Diesel is HVO, Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil, i'm I sure some will know about it. From the searches I have done via Google, it would seem our diesels can use HVO.
The Guy Martin program alas said, HVO is 40p a litre more than diesel but 90% less C02 emissions.
If HVO was used as much as diesel, I wonder what the price would be and is HVO a viable alternative? If costs were to come down and it is viable, you have to ask why it is not being pushed.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2023, 22:36   #2
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

You need to look at the farm able surface required per litre, that's usually the killer, along with the external power and pollution from production of the oil.

It's a similar situation to hydrogen, its about 9% of the world's hydrogen is currently made from green energy, now that will self solve in time and grow with adoption.

Also 40ppl when diesel is already 25ppl more expensive? No one will have diesel cars, and then ironically the cost will come down with demand, making lorries and vans easier to run.

E-diesel by audi could have, and should have been the future. Water based diesel. But after the VAG emissions scandle that killed everything associated with it. They even had the German transport minister running an a8 exclusively using e diesel as his ministerial car.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2023, 08:52   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

There's an announcement tomorrow on the Euro 7 standard & a range of transport energy taxation & new regulations revolving around stricter emissions.
I've been reading that e-fuels will play no part in heavy duty HGV transport vehicles.

"The EU is concentrating on battery-electric solutions and hydrogen; e-fuels, for which some German politicians wanted a loophole to be left open, play no role in the Commission’s draft. Fire brigade and military vehicles could be the only exception."
https://www.electrive.com/2023/02/08...cle-emissions/

There is already a big brouhaha going on about food v fuel with the EU already burning the equivalent of 19 million bottles of rapeseed-sunflower oil per day
https://www.transportenvironment.org...y-day-in-cars/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2023, 14:24   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Well my car runs on diesel and nothing else. All these so called ‘alternatives’ is just pie in the sky. Now, if I could probably buy a ballon, it would fill up with hot air. There is enough about to run a diesel for ever. Amen