Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th October 2015, 19:29   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default Injector leak back

Hi to all.
I spent a nice couple of hours at the Midland Nano meet yesterday but had to cut it short because I felt a bit under the weather.
Duncan had I look at my car on his T4 machine and set up and disabled some of the options our cars have to offer. After this he did a health check on all the various parameters and noticed number 2 injector was reading a little lower than it should, indicating injector leak back. The figures if memory serves me right from injector 1 to 4 where around , + 1.6 ish ,, ~ 2.9 ,, +1.9 ,,+ 3.
Duncan thought the last figure was high because it was compensating for the low second one.
He also asked me to get a second opinion which I'm naturally asking here as its a gold mine of people who know about these things...
My car runs absolutely perfect and starts first time but if this injector is showing signs of wear I would like to buy one sooner than later so I wont be to inconvenienced without a car.
Can anybody point me in the right direction as to where I can buy a refurbished one and the cost.
How long should I leave it before I get it sorted.
Many thanks
Johnny
Old 19th October 2015, 20:06   #2
freddie bosewell
Avid contributor

MG6

How many miles has the car done John, there are lots of used injectors for sale on here & e-bay, I think diesel tech re-furbs them.
freddie bosewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 20:08   #3
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Jockmcjock has some used injectors on the spares for sale section at 30 quid each buddy
May be worth buying one or two to get refurbed (lynx diesels) then swap over the offending item
Regards
Chris
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 20:25   #4
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie bosewell View Post
How many miles has the car done John, there are lots of used injectors for sale on here & e-bay, I think diesel tech re-furbs them.
Hi Freddie
The car has just turned 80k,.
The best option is to buy some and get them sent off for a refurb. Sounds like a good plan to me .
Cheers Freddie.
Old 19th October 2015, 20:33   #5
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
Jockmcjock has some used injectors on the spares for sale section at 30 quid each buddy
May be worth buying one or two to get refurbed (lynx diesels) then swap over the offending item
Regards
Chris
Cheers Chris for the heads up. It would be a good idea to buy more than one as you say. It will no doubt need another one some time in the near future.
I'm starting to think my honeymoon period of cheap motoring for the last two years is now at an end.:-) :-)
Old 19th October 2015, 20:34   #6
freddie bosewell
Avid contributor

MG6

Well John, mine has done 90,000 miles, all 4 of mine are within + or _ 0.1, I never use cheap fuel & always add Millers to every drop of diesel I put into the tank.
freddie bosewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 20:40   #7
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Oh dear.
That sounds worrying for me Freddie. Recently money's been a little tight and I've been using cheap supermarket fuel.
Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and be a more Choosey what I feed my car.

Last edited by johnnyb44; 19th October 2015 at 20:42..
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 22:54   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. I've always used the cheapest derv I can find and am still on the original injectors at just over 370k miles.

Oh and in the 15 years I have had the car it has had one dose of Forte injector cleaner, and good stuff it is too.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 23:29   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I've always used the cheapest derv I can find and am still on the original injectors at just over 370k miles.

Oh and in the 15 years I have had the car it has had one dose of Forte injector cleaner, and good stuff it is too.
Best injector compensation figures I'd seen for a long time at Gaydon last year Mike.

In answer to the OP's question, treat yourself to a bottle of Forte injector treatment, unscrew the fuel filter empty the contents and chuck the entire contents of the bottle of Forte into the filter.

Screw it back into place, turn the ignition to position 2 for 20 seconds, turn off then repeat.

Now start the car and allow the engine to idle for around 45 seconds and switch off.

Leave the car overnight, then go and give it a good hard motorway run.

I bet your injector compensation figures will look a lot more healthy afterwards

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 02:00   #10
johnnyb44

Rover 75

Hi Brian.
Nice to see your still about buddy and offering your words of wisdom..
Are you saying a bottle of Forte " might " cure injector leak back or will it just sort out an issue that appears to look like injector leak back failure on a T4 machine
I only ask because I don't fully understand what injector leak back is. :-)

Last edited by johnnyb44; 20th October 2015 at 04:33..
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote