Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st November 2006, 18:24   #1
Jeffmuldoon

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Sat-Nav advice

I'm thinking of getting Sat-Nav for my 75 saloon, but not happy about it being stuck on top of the dashboard. Are there brackets available to fix onto vents, if so where can i get them.

can Anyone recomend Type of sat-nav to buy.
Jeffmuldoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 19:29   #2
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Smile Sat Nav

HI Jeff.
Think you have to remember that device has to have 'sight' of satalites for a fix which (maybe depending on model) limit where you can mount it.
I bought a lavender bag from Lakeland which mine can sit on, on top of the dash but have to admit I like the w/screen suction mount. Being 'half blind' I find I need it fairly close to see info. and with suction mount it is near line of sight.
As for choice I had a good look through makes/features. Tom Tom is the most popular but I settled on a Navman 750 after reading users reviews. Even has built in camera for record & revisit places.
Depends a lot on price you want to pay. Saw someone has a base model at £99.99 now but mine cost £270 ish + £50 extra for traffic warning module.
Can tell you no one got close to Amazon on price !:lol:
I have low line in my 75........ what a hassle !
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 19:32   #3
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

This instal works perfectly for me - all hard wired and mounted on the OEM phone holder

Old 21st November 2006, 19:41   #4
JP53

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmuldoon View Post
I'm thinking of getting Sat-Nav for my 75 saloon, but not happy about it being stuck on top of the dashboard. Are there brackets available to fix onto vents, if so where can i get them.

can Anyone recomend Type of sat-nav to buy.
Mike as a lovely set up that would be hard to beat I bought a Tom Tom for my ZT. I was very pleased with it and when I traded the ZT in for my current 75 I switched the Tom Tom over to my wifes ZR.

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 19:44   #5
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Cheers John

I get the full number of satellites in that position and it isn't obvious to scroats and thieves. The unit unclips and then the arm folds inwards.

Mike
Old 21st November 2006, 19:51   #6
JP53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Cheers John

I get the full number of satellites in that position and it isn't obvious to scroats and thieves. The unit unclips and then the arm folds inwards.

Mike
I had my Tom Tom on screen by the A post but I was worried about the pillar air bag going off and turning it into a missile also it was thief bait. In the end I put it in that cubbie hole to the right of the steering wheel. I could then put a black rag in air vent and drape over the Tom Tom to hide it. Your fix is much better

Old 21st November 2006, 20:04   #7
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Phillips View Post
I had my Tom Tom on screen by the A post but I was worried about the pillar air bag going off and turning it into a missile also it was thief bait. In the end I put it in that cubbie hole to the right of the steering wheel. I could then put a black rag in air vent and drape over the Tom Tom to hide it. Your fix is much better

Gord Blimey! That never even crossed my mind.....I have my Medion Sat Nav mounted on the right of the instrument console right by the pillar airbag! jeepers creepers......it wont be there tomorow!

Jamie
Old 21st November 2006, 20:10   #8
JP53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker in a suit View Post
Gord Blimey! That never even crossed my mind.....I have my Medion Sat Nav mounted on the right of the instrument console right by the pillar airbag! jeepers creepers......it wont be there tomorow!

Jamie
No it did not dawn on me until a car cut me up on the motorway. **** that was close, still good safe car, full set of air bags oh **** bad place to put that......All went through my mind in a split second. Wife spent rest of journey moaning about holding the Tom Tom I even got her to move into the back seat because I said the satellite had gone behind a cloud

Old 21st November 2006, 21:26   #9
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Jeff

I use my PDA in a Brodit holder which clips over the area of the centre vents and is totally rigid running Tomtom 6.

I use a Holux sirfstar III bluetooth receiver which is in a hidden compartment in my arm rest and which picks up 7 to 9 satellites usually.

HTH
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 23:21   #10
Commodore
Loves to post

ex: Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE (2001 model on an 02 Plate). Now: MG Motor MG ZS Exclusive 1L Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin295 View Post
I use my PDA in a Brodit holder which clips over the area of the centre vents and is totally rigid
I agree - if you REALLY want to mount your device above the vent, then the Brodit screwless Proclip is the way forward.

However, Jeff, have you considered fitting a Brodit Proclip to the side of the centre console?

Like this:

I use one of thse to mount my Revo DAB unit in the car. THe fit is excellent, far better than this picture (which is from the manufacturer's web site) suggests.

As for what Sat Nav unit to go for - I've been testing a number of current solutions for a feature I am writing. Of the things I have just finished playing with, the best all-in-one solution was the brand new Tom Tom Go (the 199 quid one). The best software & bring your own hardware combo was Copilot, which we used with both a Nokia N70 phone, and a i-Mate JAMin PDA.
Owners Club Member No. 86

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ine=1163024370 Gone but not forgotten....The Tank
Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE (2001 model on an 02 Plate)
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote